Results 1 to 20 of 20

Airtel mobile edge speeds

  1. #1
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default Airtel mobile edge speeds

    Bharti Airtel is one of the pioneers in the Telecom industry. Time and again, they have come up with innovative plans and schemes that have lured the customers. Enhanced Data Rate for Global Evolutions (EDGE) network is one such gift from the house of Bharti Airtel to the customers in India.
    EDGE is a step beyond the usual. Now, one can transfer data at a high end speed , download pictures,send emails with attachments, play multi player games and even watch live TV .EDGE has been launched in various parts of India like Nagpur, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Delhi ,Bangalore and Pune. It was first offered to Corporate clients and then to the retail clients.
    At present Airtel's EDGE offers a whooping speed of about 200 kbps in case of transfers. Just imagine the plethora of activities that one can do with such high end speed.
    Airtel has again come out with this amazing high end speed connection that allows to indulge a huge range of activities from your handset itself.
    If you belong that section of society who owned a hi fi cell phone but did not know how to use the features then Airtel Edge is the ideal one for you. People can experience high resolution multimedia applications including the much sought after LIVE TV option on their edge complaint mobile handsets.
    You can enjoy playing multimedia games, music transfer, picture downloading facility, emailing with attachments and many more. In short, you can simply say bye to your desktop and use your edge complaint cell phone to do all the required work. Thanks to the high speed one does not even understand the difference. This is taking cell phones to the next level.
    If you are always on the go or technologically savvy, then Airtel EDGE is a must have feature for you on your cell phone.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default Not that much speed of edge

    edge speed is in reality only 10-15KBs. The network is also not proper in most of the places. The gprs department of airtel is very pathetic.

    Can anyone tell how to start a new thread in this forum?
    Last edited by kmoksha; 14th February 2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  3. #3
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,029

    Default

    I get about 25 - 26 KB/s in Edge mode as I get full network.
    Tower is less than 300 m from my house.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member talktoanil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoksha View Post
    edge speed is in reality only 10-15KBs. The network is also not proper in most of the places. The gprs department of airtel is very pathetic.

    Can anyone tell how to start a new thread in this forum?
    so far it rocks for me no matter where i go.

  5. #5
    Platinum Member mickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    I get 150 KiBPS speeds and this is proven by speedometer...

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default Can you watch live tv without buffering?

    Can you use internet services which require fast internet like live tv, video conferencing, etc.? i doubt it . Airtel gprs and blackberry use the same towers and network but they do not give enough bandwidth to gprs, instead they give to blackberry which is expensive.

  7. #7
    Platinum Member mickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoksha View Post
    Can you use internet services which require fast internet like live tv, video conferencing, etc.? i doubt it . Airtel gprs and blackberry use the same towers and network but they do not give enough bandwidth to gprs, instead they give to blackberry which is expensive.
    how can i purchase a merc for the price of a rickshaw?
    job takes the child away.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default Edge speed

    @ Mickey, so you endorse the speed of edge to be similar to a rickshaw. No way you can watch live tv without buffering with Edge.You need a merc like Broadband.

  9. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,029

    Default

    Broadband is best in all aspects but the main thing is that it is costly.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default Edge speed

    @mickey, what you mean is 150 kilo bits per second(kbps). Eight bits make
    one byte. The speed which you mentioned is 150kbps=20kBps Airtel people telling if you are getting more than 10 kBs speed that means you are getting edge signals but also they tell that you will not edge signals in limited places and some places you get almost no signals.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I have just checked the EDGE speed of both airtel and tata docomo

    i got max of 10KBPS and when i tested with speedtest i just got 5KBPS

    but when i used the tatadocomo i have got 20-25KBPS

    am currently at bangalore i have tested this at my place which is a remote town near vellore even there i got good speed..so people who want good browsing experiece with mobile connected to PC i prefer u to go for TATADOCOMO

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default

    no, my network is near to 50m, 3 - 6 Kbps speed(EDGE)

    Maybe 25 - 30 Kbps is Uploading speed, not downloading speed.

    and Aitel/Aircel/Idea GPRS Max Speed is 32Kbps... so it is not possible to get 200Kbps
    Last edited by kunnusingh; 31st March 2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    @kunnusingh while mentioning the speed you should be careful with capital B(BYTE) and small b(bit)

    and google it and know the maximum speed that a EDGE class 11 can provide and i have seen 200 kbps ~ 25KBPS in my EDGE mobile using the TATA DOCOMO CONNECTION i still have the speed test result..

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinbk View Post
    @kunnusingh while mentioning the speed you should be careful with capital B(BYTE) and small b(bit)

    and google it and know the maximum speed that a EDGE class 11 can provide and i have seen 200 kbps ~ 25KBPS in my EDGE mobile using the TATA DOCOMO CONNECTION i still have the speed test result..
    as i know "Aircel/Airtel/Idea" is Provide Max 32Kbps on EDGE/GPRS so not possible to get 200kbps.

    i have HSPDA Enable Mobile(Support upto 3mbps) but still i am get 5 - 15kbps because of my Net Provider(Aircel/Airtel/Idea -- on GPRS) provide only 32kbps.

    if your network not support more then 32kbps speed then you can't get more then 32kpbs speed...... google


    Tata Docomo: Uploading Speed is 25Kbps

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kunnusingh View Post
    as i know "Aircel/Airtel/Idea" is Provide Max 32Kbps on EDGE/GPRS so not possible to get 200kbps.

    i have HSPDA Enable Mobile(Support upto 3mbps) but still i am get 5 - 15kbps because of my Net Provider(Aircel/Airtel/Idea -- on GPRS) provide only 32kbps.

    if your network not support more then 32kbps speed then you can't get more then 32kpbs speed...... google

    please get clear with the network generations HSDPA will work only on 3G and below that its EDGE and below that its GPRS its not based on the which handset you use its all based on the tower and in GPRS i was using for years airtel connection i used to get 7KBPS = ~ 56Kbps speed..

    Anyhow thanks for sharing your experiece

  16. #16
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinbk View Post
    please get clear with the network generations HSDPA will work only on 3G and below that its EDGE and below that its GPRS its not based on the which handset you use its all based on the tower and in GPRS i was using for years airtel connection i used to get 7KBPS = ~ 56Kbps speed..

    Anyhow thanks for sharing your experiece
    It first based on your handset then on your network.
    If you are using a mobile that only supports GPRS you cannot get speed of 3G in it.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    @gaggan4392 both are interdependent without this we cant expect that and vice versa..

  18. #18
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinbk View Post
    @gaggan4392 both are interdependent without this we cant expect that and vice versa..
    It depends on both. In both network and mobile, the lesser and limiter, will cause the less speed.
    1. If we have good mobile that support 3G and network that support only EDGE, then we will get EDGE speed.
    2. If we are getting 3G signal and using EDGE enabled mobile then we will get EDGE speed only.
    3. If both are 3G enabled, then we will get 3G speed.

    Thus both are important.................

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Exactly dude

  20. #20
    Junior Member ajay007700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Hi,

    I am using Mobile Office service. Previously I used to get about 25-30 KBps (200 -240 Kbps). But since they have launched their 3g service speeds have dramatically reduced. Now I'm getting mere 4-5 KBps (32 - 40 Kbps).
    I'm using Nokia N82 and tower is almost half kilometer away from home.
    Customer service dont have answer for that.

Similar Threads

  1. Airtel 4G Limited Speeds
    By Chetan01 in forum 4G LTE
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 7th October 2015, 03:17 PM
  2. Different Airtel EDGE Speed on different SIM Card
    By moonheart in forum Airtel 3G
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th October 2012, 10:54 AM
  3. Is airtel doubling speeds like bsnl ?
    By goodburner in forum Airtel Broadband
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11th June 2010, 08:42 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th October 2009, 05:41 PM
  5. Idea mobile internet( through Edge)
    By mickey in forum Idea Mobile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd June 2009, 04:12 PM