Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubie
  • 1 Post By pwarbi

Android Versions

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default Android Versions

    Since I am an Android operated devices user, I'm a bit curious on the versions Android had produced. I would just like to share little information on those versions.

    Android Cupcake 1.5
    Android Donut 1.6
    Android Eclair 2.0 and 2.1
    Android Froyo 2.2 - 2.2.3
    Android Gingerbread 2.3 - 2.3.7
    Android Honeycomb 3.0 -3.2.6
    Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 - 4.0.4
    Android Jelly Bean 4.1 - 4.3.1
    Android KitKat 4.4–4.4.4, 4.4W–4.4W.2
    Android Lollipop 5.0 - 5.1.1
    Marshmallow

    The most recently updated version is the Android 5.0 Lollipop, which is released on November 3, 2014. Android 6.0 Marshmallow is an upcoming updated version which finshed its third and final preview on August 17, 2015 and said to be relased on October 5.

    Any additional information about Android versions is appreaciated.
    webworld likes this.

  2. #2
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    When it comes to a list of android updates then you OP sums it up. While a lot of the updates were just superficial, and the changes you noticed as a user was minimal, there as been a couple of major upgrades along the way aswell.

    I'm interested to see just how good this android M is going to be and what sort of experience android users are going to be getting when it finally does become available.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    As this date of posting, it is the most recent update but with regards to the upcoming we're not yet certain. So if the innovation of new versions will follow, I might as well update if possible. Well, hopefully Marshmallow will continue the path made by some Android versions or probably it might exceed our expectations.

  4. #4
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubie View Post
    Since I am an Android operated devices user, I'm a bit curious on the versions Android had produced. I would just like to share little information on those versions.

    Android Cupcake 1.5
    Android Donut 1.6
    Android Eclair 2.0 and 2.1
    Android Froyo 2.2 - 2.2.3
    Android Gingerbread 2.3 - 2.3.7
    Android Honeycomb 3.0 -3.2.6
    Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 - 4.0.4
    Android Jelly Bean 4.1 - 4.3.1
    Android KitKat 4.4–4.4.4, 4.4W–4.4W.2
    Android Lollipop 5.0 - 5.1.1
    Marshmallow

    The most recently updated version is the Android 5.0 Lollipop, which is released on November 3, 2014. Android 6.0 Marshmallow is an upcoming updated version which finshed its third and final preview on August 17, 2015 and said to be relased on October 5.

    Any additional information about Android versions is appreaciated.
    That is quite interesting. I noticed that almost all version names are after food-products. Is there any specific reasons behind this?

    I am sure that Google will come up with some outstanding user friendly features to compete with iOS. Otherwise they know that it will be really difficult to survive. I think they will give more importance to security aspects, especially with regard to biometric scanners. I heard that they will also come up with a visual voice mail service. But initially it will be limited for a certain products/brands.

  5. #5
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Google have always used the names of sweets for their Android updates for some reason and that will continue with the best instalment, Android Marshmallow.

    As for android competing with iOS, I think it's the other way round and the Android platform is now outselling Apple and the new Android update will only reaffirm their dominance.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    That is quite interesting. I noticed that almost all version names are after food-products. Is there any specific reasons behind this?

    I am sure that Google will come up with some outstanding user friendly features to compete with iOS. Otherwise they know that it will be really difficult to survive. I think they will give more importance to security aspects, especially with regard to biometric scanners. I heard that they will also come up with a visual voice mail service. But initially it will be limited for a certain products/brands.
    The reason behind that sweet-food names representing their Andriod version is still unknown. Google Android refused to reveal the reason behind that names for some reasons.

    As of Android security, I really think they often failed in that aspect. Recently I just read that the newly released Android Lollipop encounters some vulnerability. They're now doing their best to save the the devices affected and hopefully they can fix the problem.

  7. #7
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    Google have always used the names of sweets for their Android updates for some reason and that will continue with the best instalment, Android Marshmallow.

    As for android competing with iOS, I think it's the other way round and the Android platform is now outselling Apple and the new Android update will only reaffirm their dominance.
    I think it is too early to predict anything. We cannot under estimate Apple iOS. Their iOS 6 and 6 plus are already in the news as they have already crossed 13 million customer base within a few days. Their new touch screen features and a durable aluminum body has been well received by the customers. The are expanding the sale to more countries quickly to reach more and more people. As the forerunner they will definitely get some edge over new Android OS.

    There is no doubt that the next most awaited ones are Samsung's foldable phone and new Android Marshmallow OS.

  8. #8
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    While the Apple iPhone 6 as sold well, the figures are still down on what Apple anticipated and across the globe Apple targets aren't being met anymore, that's why I'm countries such as the UK, you can get good deals on the Apple range.

    The deals are there to tempt you into buying an iPhone over the alternative and they're also a way of shops clearing out their stock, as they ordered a lot more expecting them to sell and in fact a lot are still left on the shelves.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Just on a side note, the figures released by Apple are also deceiving as they don't publish the number of devices that have actually been sold, instead they publish the figures of how many devices have been ordered by the various shops and online marketplaces.

    For example Amazon might have ordered 5 million handsets off Apple. Apple will include that 5 million in their sales figures. Of that 5 million though, Amazon might have only sold 2 million, and the same goes for the other outlets.

    Of the 13 million devices sold figure by Apple, you might find that 7 million are still on the shelves of the shops and can't be sold by the retailer.
    webworld likes this.

  9. #9
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    For example Amazon might have ordered 5 million handsets off Apple. Apple will include that 5 million in their sales figures. Of that 5 million though, Amazon might have only sold 2 million, and the same goes for the other outlets.

    Of the 13 million devices sold figure by Apple, you might find that 7 million are still on the shelves of the shops and can't be sold by the retailer.
    That is a nice analysis I think. So it's another marketing play from Apple. They are doing everything to sell out their devices before Samsung's foldable phones hit the market . But I think Samsung should have launched their new device a little bit earlier than Apple iPhone. Then it would have changed the entire storyline. Apple definitely got the advantage of time to deceive people.

  10. #10
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    But when Samsung are ready to release their new foldable device, Apple will have the iPhone 7(or 8) ready and waiting just around the corner so there will always be that market competition.

  11. #11
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Well, thanks for sharing this information. However, I feel the best Android version I have used till date is the Android 4.4 also known as Kitkat. I have used Froyo, Gingerbread, Ice cream sandwich, Jellybean, Kitkat and lollipop. I loved using Kitkat on my first generation Moto g, and it used to work pretty smooth with a very good battery optimization. A long lasting battery and smooth user interface is all I need in my smartphone. I didn't like the buggy lollipop as it often kept crashing apps and the battery was sucked very fast.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Well, everyone has a choice on what to have @waqsi. Just like you, my Samsung runs in Kitkat also and so far its a good-running Android for me. Actually I never experienced using other Android versions, only KiKat. I think those versions are all the same, its just the improvements that made them unique from the other.

  13. #13
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    I think one of the main advantages of using latest versions of OS is availability of new features and most importantly enhanced security features. So, it is better to use the latest version at any time. For example the new Marshmallow is having smart security updates to keep your mobile safe from latest threats. So, from a security point of view new versions are always better.

    Android Marshmallow also has some very unique features like "Doze" which ensures optimum utilization of battery power. So, that is also very important. I believe it is better to stick to new updated versions whenever possible. After all security is the most important thing in communication devices.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    I agree with you @webworld, but not all consumer could purchase mobile devices following the updated versions. As for the fact that the newer versions are mostly applied to specific devices. Only those who could afford to buy the newest release devices would have the chance to get the benifit of the latest version. Lucky for those device owners that are able to upgrade their versions into the latest versions also.

  15. #15
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    I think that's we're manufacturers need to do more, by keep supporting their older devices, at least for a few years anyway.

    While I understand that to make money, obviously a manufacturer will want people to buy the latest handset, but at the same time they have to realise a lot of people won't be able to, so will be stuck with an older device.

    Making sure these older devices are compatible with any new OS updates would go a long way to improving customers satisfaction, and even if they can't afford a new device every year, at least when they can, it will tempt them to stay loyal to the one brand.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Well, I just wish those manufacturers will realise that. But I think they're more focused on innovating their devices along with the updated versions. To think, there's a Stagefright vulnerability detected and the security features of the latest version Android Marshmallow has the capability of protecting the device from attackers. There's a possibility that this will become a way for their new releases to be much appreciated.

  17. #17
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    I don't think they will not do anything to make new Android versions compatible with old phones. Just like in any other business, it will hamper their business interests. New versions always give them an opportunity to sell more handsets and more money. They are not going to spoil the show. I am pretty sure a lot customers will just throw their old phones and opt for phones which are compatible with new Android versions for enhanced safety and battery backup features.

    I think this is the main drawback in mobile industry as a whole. Every minute technology is getting updated and so are the handsets and OSs. I know this is good but they are taking it as a tool to empty our pockets. I think adaption of updated OS should be a standard feature in all handsets as it is very essential for security.

  18. #18
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    As with any industry when you have one or two manufacturer's that are so strong and dominating, they tend to be able to make up the rules as they go along and even if they are regulated they'll eventually tend to get their own way.

Similar Threads

  1. Checking compatibility of addons for in-development firefox versions
    By meetdilip in forum Software News, Previews and Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th February 2010, 06:08 PM
  2. I am looking for browser plug-ins to run multiple versions of my app.
    By ni4454 in forum Software News, Previews and Reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th July 2009, 09:13 PM
  3. I am looking for browser plug-ins to run multiple versions
    By vishnu54 in forum Desktop Computer
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th May 2009, 04:26 PM
  4. Halo 3 to have three separate versions
    By Guest in forum Videogaming News and Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th January 2008, 03:58 PM
  5. compatible mac os versions for glb-502t router
    By sonia_289 in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th December 2007, 10:18 AM