Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 72
Like Tree4Likes

What do you consider most important in a phone?

  1. #1
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default What do you consider most important in a phone?

    When I choose my phone, Lumia 830, I consider most important the camera with several resources like Pureview and Zeiss Lenses. And you?

  2. #2
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    The most important factor I look for in a new model is the battery backup. I think almost all new models provide excellent features when it comes to memory, speed and applications, battery power is still an area of concern. A mobile without power is a useless device. I would defenitely buy a model if it has a built in solar panel to keep battery charged and there is no need for frequent recharging.

    Yes, factors like RAM, processor, screen resolution, screen size, durability etc. also matter, but most the models offer these and it gets better as you pay well.

  3. #3
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    The most important factor I look for in a new model is the battery backup. I think almost all new models provide excellent features when it comes to memory, speed and applications, battery power is still an area of concern. A mobile without power is a useless device. I would defenitely buy a model if it has a built in solar panel to keep battery charged and there is no need for frequent recharging.

    Yes, factors like RAM, processor, screen resolution, screen size, durability etc. also matter, but most the models offer these and it gets better as you pay well.
    I agree with you. But a good OS can decrease the necessity to have a powerful device.

  4. #4
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Yes, I agree with you. But Android is also a good mobile OS I think. The main issue of frequent battery drain was caused by Google Play itself which keeps on checking the applications for udpate. Even if the device is offline it is said to continue it. In the process if it stucks that will result in an abnormal battery consumption.

    I think mobile manufacturing companies should come forward with a viable solutions to this issue. May be something like an inbuilt solar charging mechanism. It will reduce or remove the need for frequent recharge. Power bank is a good option, but that also needs to be recharged at regular intervals, without fail.

  5. #5
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    I think battery life is a priority for me. However, as long as the phone has a removable battery, I will be willing to compromise on the battery life, as I could carry around multiple batteries on me, on long trips etc. or a portable charger, which are very cheap nowadays.

    Another important factor for me, is the durability of the device, my Samsung Galaxy S3 has had the display cracked numerous times, some of which were silly, such as falling of my bed onto the screen, which is not justifiable for a brand like Samsung. The bodywork of the phone has also been very easily chipped, and there are little cracks in the frame of the phone which occurred shortly after I purchased the device.
    vinisouz likes this.

  6. #6
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    [QUOTE=Peter97;393270]I think battery life is a priority for me. However, as long as the phone has a removable battery, I will be willing to compromise on the battery life, as I could carry around multiple batteries on me, on long trips etc. or a portable charger, which are very cheap nowadays.



    A lot of users consider battery the most important thing in a phone, but I do not think the best thing because I do not use my phone to play games. The main function of my phone is the digital camera. Moreover, Windows Phone consumes low levels of the battery.

  7. #7
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Battery life is import even if you are not a gamer because there are batteries that are so weak that they cannot even handle surfing on the net. I encounter a phone battery that awful. It is really a huge waste of money.

  8. #8
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    [QUOTE=vinisouz;393489]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter97 View Post
    I think battery life is a priority for me. However, as long as the phone has a removable battery, I will be willing to compromise on the battery life, as I could carry around multiple batteries on me, on long trips etc. or a portable charger, which are very cheap nowadays.



    A lot of users consider battery the most important thing in a phone, but I do not think the best thing because I do not use my phone to play games. The main function of my phone is the digital camera. Moreover, Windows Phone consumes low levels of the battery.
    Windows phones seem to have really good battery life in relation to other devices. I think the problem mailny occurs in Android devices, to to all the Google services etc. That run in the background, using up a lot of battery. My sister has a windows phone, and she charges hers once every two days, whereas I sometimes have to charge my Galaxy S3 multiple times a day. It's shocking how bad the battery in my phone is.

  9. #9
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Windows phones are the best overall, their major problem is the lack of apps and the interface can be quite confusing.

  10. #10
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    I have never used a Windows based mobile phone till now. I think they are becoming popular day by day. With the coming of Windows 10 for mobiles it is becoming well accepted by people. Chinese mobile manufacturers Xiaomi is planning to use Windows 10 in their new models. So, as a mobile OS also Windows 10 is getting popular.

    Now the real competition is for the best mobile OS. Windows has already come up with Windows 10, Apple is famous for iOS and Google for Android. Samsung is now focusing on developing their own OS, Tizen. They are planning to launch a number of new models (Z series) that run on Tizen.

  11. #11
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Windows phones are the best overall, their major problem is the lack of apps and the interface can be quite confusing.
    I agree with you, when you said about the lack of the apps. When I new app appears in Android and IOS, this app hardly appears in Windows Store. but when you talked about the interface, I disagree. Have you already checked the new interface in Windows 10 mobile? I can guarantee it is amazing!

  12. #12
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    I found out 2 of my favorite games are available on Windows phone so I may consider buying one if it is really durable. As long as I can surf online and watch videos on Youtube I wont have problem. My only issue with Windows phone is the fact it is from Windows of Microsoft. Windows on PC gave me a lot of infinite loop problems.

  13. #13
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cashewfruit_wine View Post
    I found out 2 of my favorite games are available on Windows phone so I may consider buying one if it is really durable. As long as I can surf online and watch videos on Youtube I wont have problem. My only issue with Windows phone is the fact it is from Windows of Microsoft. Windows on PC gave me a lot of infinite loop problems.
    Windows phone don't have much problems at all, they are really smooth phones.

  14. #14
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Windows phone don't have much problems at all, they are really smooth phones.
    it is progressing slowly. The first objective in the market to win Apple, a hard challenge but it is possible.

  15. #15
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    I agree with you, when you said about the lack of the apps. When I new app appears in Android and IOS, this app hardly appears in Windows Store. but when you talked about the interface, I disagree. Have you already checked the new interface in Windows 10 mobile? I can guarantee it is amazing!
    I haven't seen windows 10, but now that you're brought my attention to it, I'll go check if my friend has upgraded to windows 10 now, and see for myself if it's good as you say.

  16. #16
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    I haven't seen windows 10, but now that you're brought my attention to it, I'll go check if my friend has upgraded to windows 10 now, and see for myself if it's good as you say.
    Yes, you will not regret!

  17. #17
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    Yes, you will not regret!
    I'll get back to you on this tomorrow.

  18. #18
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    I agree with you, when you said about the lack of the apps. When I new app appears in Android and IOS, this app hardly appears in Windows Store. but when you talked about the interface, I disagree. Have you already checked the new interface in Windows 10 mobile? I can guarantee it is amazing!
    I think you are right. There are a lot of positive reviews about Windows 10 as a mobile OS. Windows phones were the least preferred phone in the past, but with the advent of Windows 10 the whole perception has changed. Even Chinese mobile manufacturer Xiaomi is using Windows 10 in their latest models to compete with Android phones. I think it is a turning point for Windows phones.

    I believe Microsoft could reap the benefits if they find something innovative to use Windows as a perfect link between computers and mobile phones. That would definitely give them an edge over other mobile OS phones.

  19. #19
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    I am planning to buy a Windows phone because it isn't that expensive. My brother who is a Windows user said it doesn't lag like Android. However, you can't do a lot of stuff on Windows unlike Android. But I will keep my Android phone and continue using it while having a Windows phone if ever.

  20. #20
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I think you are right. There are a lot of positive reviews about Windows 10 as a mobile OS. Windows phones were the least preferred phone in the past, but with the advent of Windows 10 the whole perception has changed. Even Chinese mobile manufacturer Xiaomi is using Windows 10 in their latest models to compete with Android phones. I think it is a turning point for Windows phones.

    I believe Microsoft could reap the benefits if they find something innovative to use Windows as a perfect link between computers and mobile phones. That would definitely give them an edge over other mobile OS phones.
    I once tried to use a windows phone (one of the older models though) and it was very hard and confusing to navigate through the phone. There was no clear "main" screen like Android or iPhone have, with apps. Instead, it was all very cluttered, and not organized very well. Hopefully windows 10 fixed this and made the OS more presentable, and simple to use.

  21. #21
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter97 View Post
    I once tried to use a windows phone (one of the older models though) and it was very hard and confusing to navigate through the phone. There was no clear "main" screen like Android or iPhone have, with apps. Instead, it was all very cluttered, and not organized very well. Hopefully windows 10 fixed this and made the OS more presentable, and simple to use.
    I think Windows phones were in the backdrop till now and hope it will come out with Windows 10. As a matter of fact I have never used a Windows mobile till now. I very rarely see people using Windows phone. Even iOS phones are not popular here. There is only one OS that is Android which can be seen everywhere and people use hi-tech versions nowadays. Android to mobile is like Windows to computers here.

    I am a big fan of Windows computer OS as I am very much used to it. Hope the new mobile with Windows 10 can do well by synchronizing it with computers. This is a great opportunity for Microsoft to lead the show.

  22. #22
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    I am planning to buy a Windows phone because it isn't that expensive. My brother who is a Windows user said it doesn't lag like Android. However, you can't do a lot of stuff on Windows unlike Android. But I will keep my Android phone and continue using it while having a Windows phone if ever.
    The main problem of Windows Phone is the lack of apps, if you work with a specific app, it is better to check if this app is available in Windows Store, in contrast, you will buy a excellent phone.

  23. #23
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    That's its downside. Since I am not a person who downloads too much apps then this device is suitable for me. Still, if there are apps that are available in Android, then that would be problem. That's why I will not dispose my Android phone once I bought Windows phone.

  24. #24
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    That's its downside. Since I am not a person who downloads too much apps then this device is suitable for me. Still, if there are apps that are available in Android, then that would be problem. That's why I will not dispose my Android phone once I bought Windows phone.
    I am also not a big fan of downloading mobile apps too often. In fact I seldom use my smartphone for typing and surfing net. I always depend on my laptop for that. I use it only for calling and texting. So, as you said a Windows mobile phone with limited number of applications will not be an issue for me. Moreover, since I use Windows on computer, I would feel more comfortable with it. What I feel more important in a smartphone are factors like durability, screen resolution, battery backup, RAM capacity etc.

    However, as I already own a Samsung Android phone I am not in a hurry to go for a new one. Investing in new phones is not a wise strategy i think.

  25. #25
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    I use my phone for a lot things, like writing,it helps with keeping up to date with all the statics and notifications of the sites I write on, following my blog stats and notifications, shazaming on the go, playing games, reading books, road map, plenty games. I am an app junkie, so any phone I have to use must have top notch user interface that works smoothly, that's why I stick with iOS, androids have failed me a gazillion times.

  26. #26
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I am also not a big fan of downloading mobile apps too often. In fact I seldom use my smartphone for typing and surfing net. I always depend on my laptop for that. I use it only for calling and texting. So, as you said a Windows mobile phone with limited number of applications will not be an issue for me. Moreover, since I use Windows on computer, I would feel more comfortable with it. What I feel more important in a smartphone are factors like durability, screen resolution, battery backup, RAM capacity etc.

    However, as I already own a Samsung Android phone I am not in a hurry to go for a new one. Investing in new phones is not a wise strategy i think.
    But are you planning that someday you will buy a Windows phone when you need a new one? I am using an Alcatel phone with big screen, by which my problem in it is the internal memory. But I am planning to buy a Windows phone because I think I can use it more in working online. My android is just buggy. I have a Windows tablet and it works okay but I need a smaller screen like 5 to 5.5 inches.

  27. #27
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I am also not a big fan of downloading mobile apps too often. In fact I seldom use my smartphone for typing and surfing net. I always depend on my laptop for that. I use it only for calling and texting. So, as you said a Windows mobile phone with limited number of applications will not be an issue for me. Moreover, since I use Windows on computer, I would feel more comfortable with it. What I feel more important in a smartphone are factors like durability, screen resolution, battery backup, RAM capacity etc.

    However, as I already own a Samsung Android phone I am not in a hurry to go for a new one. Investing in new phones is not a wise strategy i think.
    I could consider you a basic user, there are several phones that you would love. But there is a thing that I did not understand, when you said "durability", what do you want to say? Resistance ?

  28. #28
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    I could consider you a basic user, there are several phones that you would love. But there is a thing that I did not understand, when you said "durability", what do you want to say? Resistance ?
    Yeah by durability he probably meant resistance to things such as falling, or scratches to the screen/outer body of the phone. Newer phones such as the iPhone 6 aren't too durable, as apple prioritize lightness and slimness of the devices. So I'd like to see more manufacturers prioritize durability over other unnecessary features.

  29. #29
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter97 View Post
    Yeah by durability he probably meant resistance to things such as falling, or scratches to the screen/outer body of the phone. Newer phones such as the iPhone 6 aren't too durable, as apple prioritize lightness and slimness of the devices. So I'd like to see more manufacturers prioritize durability over other unnecessary features.
    The durability of the Iphone is related to its longevity. Iphone does not often give defect naturally as other devices because the components used in its internal construction are of high quality. In contrast, the external components are fragile, your display does not have even the gorilla glass technology, It is shameful. If you want something really resistance, I recommend MOTO E, G and X and the Lumia line.

  30. #30
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    The durability of the Iphone is related to its longevity. Iphone does not often give defect naturally as other devices because the components used in its internal construction are of high quality. In contrast, the external components are fragile, your display does not have even the gorilla glass technology, It is shameful. If you want something really resistance, I recommend MOTO E, G and X and the Lumia line.
    I've heard good things about the durabity of the windows phones, I'll take a look at some of their devices. My Galaxy S3 cracked multiple times, sometimes from stupid things like falling from my bed onto the floor. Or when I was playing football, and someone kicked the ball at me and it bit my phone.

  31. #31
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    I think the iPhone is durable and other phones, I used the 5 for two years before it broke and only because it was naked, getting a good case and screen guards for this slim phones not only iPhone would go a long way for durability

    Sent from my GT-S7582 using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Once Samsung was quite famous for strong durable phones. Now most of their models are too fragile to use with cheap plastic cover. I think they are trying to reduce the cost of production and thereby increase the profit margin. Nowadays competition is very stiff in Android market and they cannot survive more if they cannot compromise on the pricing and the only way to withstand this is to reduce cost of production. It is also a fact that durability for long term is not a concern for many as models are changing every now and then.

    It is good that at least Windows phones are becoming durable for long term use.

  33. #33
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    I do think iPhone is really durable. A friend of mine still uses his old iPhone from 7 years ago. My brother also has an iPhone 4s for quite a long time. He is still using it. It's LCD got broke when it feel down but it never went dysfunctional.

  34. #34
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    I do think iPhone is really durable. A friend of mine still uses his old iPhone from 7 years ago. My brother also has an iPhone 4s for quite a long time. He is still using it. It's LCD got broke when it feel down but it never went dysfunctional.
    My cousin has a Iphone 4s and her phone is during so much time. The components are of the highest quality. I believe the resistance factor involves a little luck. I know people who have the Lumia 830 and the screen cracked in the first fall and others that the phone is intact after several falls. It all depends on the angle at which the cell falls, usually a fall where the corner gets all the impact can be fatal for the display.

  35. #35
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    215

    Default

    For me, the most important part in a smartphone is its performance. At least 2GB of RAM, a good processor and a decent camera is enough for me.

  36. #36
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waqsi View Post
    For me, the most important part in a smartphone is its performance. At least 2GB of RAM, a good processor and a decent camera is enough for me.
    Nice! Do you consider any OS ? Would you accept windows phone ? Example: Lumia 930

  37. #37
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waqsi View Post
    For me, the most important part in a smartphone is its performance. At least 2GB of RAM, a good processor and a decent camera is enough for me.
    I think that most new smartphones these days come with those specifications and while a device can still run with less, these are quickly becoming the norm and what a device needs to run effectively.

  38. #38
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    I think that most new smartphones these days come with those specifications and while a device can still run with less, these are quickly becoming the norm and what a device needs to run effectively.
    However a lot of RAM and a good processor don't always mean good performance on Android, as many app developers arent optimizing their apps properly, and a lot of the time you can find that most of you're devices RAM is being used up by alps which run in the backgrounds. Google services use up a LOT of processing power on Android aswell.
    pwarbi and webworld like this.

  39. #39
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    When it comes to the app developers though, as a user theres not a lot that people can do so aslong as they get the best specification on their device, it's then up to the app developers to try and get the best use out of it that they can.

  40. #40
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter97 View Post
    However a lot of RAM and a good processor don't always mean good performance on Android, as many app developers arent optimizing their apps properly, and a lot of the time you can find that most of you're devices RAM is being used up by alps which run in the backgrounds. Google services use up a LOT of processing power on Android aswell.
    Absolutely, and then that is an area where we are helpless. It depends on the person who develops these apps for use. Android phones are quite infamous for 'sudden battery drain syndrome'. Google play that keeps on checking the phone for updates get stuck in their process and end up consuming a lot of battery power which causes a sudden drain of power.

    I think nowadays application developers take this into account while developing new apps for customers.

  41. #41
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    Absolutely, and then that is an area where we are helpless. It depends on the person who develops these apps for use. Android phones are quite infamous for 'sudden battery drain syndrome'. Google play that keeps on checking the phone for updates get stuck in their process and end up consuming a lot of battery power which causes a sudden drain of power.

    I think nowadays application developers take this into account while developing new apps for customers.
    I agree with you. I had a friend who is studying app developing is taking that into account, not just developing. They consider a lot of things when developing.

  42. #42
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    I agree with you. I had a friend who is studying app developing is taking that into account, not just developing. They consider a lot of things when developing.
    There are online sites that allow you to create apps, with minimum knowledge about creating apps, I think those are good ways to start as a beginner.

  43. #43
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    There are online sites that allow you to create apps, with minimum knowledge about creating apps, I think those are good ways to start as a beginner.
    I never heard of that. So does it mean that many apps in Play Store are likely not to function in some versions of Android or even phones? If that's the case, I just hope Google should take that in account.

  44. #44
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    68

    Default

    The first and the most important feature that I look for in a phone is its Operating Software or the OS. Android has been releasing its latest versions almost every year. With every new version of android, latest apps are added. These apps are really useful and help in making our everyday life easier. I am not that much camera obsessed, so it does not matter to me a lot. But the phone should be good looking and should be of a size which is comfortable to carry on a regular basis.

  45. #45
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    There are online sites that allow you to create apps, with minimum knowledge about creating apps, I think those are good ways to start as a beginner.
    I am still waiting for your news impression about Windows Phone, you had promised to check it.

  46. #46
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MamoniMaity View Post
    The first and the most important feature that I look for in a phone is its Operating Software or the OS. Android has been releasing its latest versions almost every year. With every new version of android, latest apps are added. These apps are really useful and help in making our everyday life easier. I am not that much camera obsessed, so it does not matter to me a lot. But the phone should be good looking and should be of a size which is comfortable to carry on a regular basis.
    Just like you, I am not camera obsessed as well. Unlike about 5 years ago when we always look for the clearest camera when buying a cellphone.

  47. #47
    Junior Member judai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Interesting question.

    I look for call clarity - both incoming and outgoing, because that is the primary reason for me to use a mobile handset. I would also expect its battery to last for a full day, without which my basic requirement will not be fulfilled.

  48. #48
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    I'm assumibg then if it's mainly about call clarity and battery life, then you won't be buying a smartphone anytime soon then!

    Smartphones, not only are notorious for having poor battery life, they're often bogged down with that many apps and messaging services that call clarity is often ignored.

  49. #49
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judai View Post
    Interesting question.

    I look for call clarity - both incoming and outgoing, because that is the primary reason for me to use a mobile handset. I would also expect its battery to last for a full day, without which my basic requirement will not be fulfilled.
    Maybe classic phones or basic phones for you. So far, I never experienced a problem in my phone or my old smartphones with regards to call clarity, unless the signal is the problem.

  50. #50
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    I'm assumibg then if it's mainly about call clarity and battery life, then you won't be buying a smartphone anytime soon then!

    Smartphones, not only are notorious for having poor battery life, they're often bogged down with that many apps and messaging services that call clarity is often ignored.
    ha..ha.. that is quite true. Even though mobile phones were invented as a medium of communication, this basic function is being ignored most of the times. Phones are now meant for taking pictures and playing games. They are an all-in-one source. I also forgot to mention about the call clarity as a main factor to be considered which is the basic function of a phone.

    But I think call clarity should not be an issue in branded phones nowadays. Even though more focus is given on other functions, a good call clarity is a basic feature which customer expects from a mobile phone.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    I'm assumibg then if it's mainly about call clarity and battery life, then you won't be buying a smartphone anytime soon then!

    Smartphones, not only are notorious for having poor battery life, they're often bogged down with that many apps and messaging services that call clarity is often ignored.
    ha..ha.. that is quite true. Even though mobile phones were invented as a medium of communication, this basic function is being ignored most of the times. Phones are now meant for taking pictures and playing games. They are an all-in-one source. I also forgot to mention about the call clarity as a main factor to be considered which is the basic function of a phone.

    But I think call clarity should not be an issue in branded phones nowadays. Even though more focus is given on other functions, a good call clarity is a basic feature which customer expects from a mobile phone.

  51. #51
    Junior Member judai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    I'm assumibg then if it's mainly about call clarity and battery life, then you won't be buying a smartphone anytime soon then!

    Smartphones, not only are notorious for having poor battery life, they're often bogged down with that many apps and messaging services that call clarity is often ignored.
    Agreed. But, handset manufacturers are waking up to the problem of poor battery life. While handsets with 3000 mAH and 4000 mAH batteries are commonly available now, what surprised me was the Gionee Marathon M5, which is said to sport not one, but two batteries, both 6000 mAH!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    Maybe classic phones or basic phones for you. So far, I never experienced a problem in my phone or my old smartphones with regards to call clarity, unless the signal is the problem.
    Call clarity suffering because of poor signal strength is understandable. But I faced problems with inbound calls, which the service guys couldn't resolve, and hence offered to send it to their factory for repairs. I chose to buy a new one, a different brand, and I am quite happy with it.

    - - - Updated - - -

  52. #52
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    I am still waiting for your news impression about Windows Phone, you had promised to check it.
    Sorry, about that. I did go and check but my friend hadn't upgraded her phone yet, I'll be seeing her when I go back to school, I promise to tell you, when I do check it out.

  53. #53
    Junior Member aimayaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    33

    Default

    For my phone, I prefer it to be :
    - cheap. The price is a big factor for me, as I always think about what will happen if I lose it.
    - fast. I would like to have a maximum amount of RAM. I hope RAM will become a lot cheaper, because my phone is very slow.
    - small and light. I don't want to know a phone is in my pocket, until I need it. I don't need big screens for anything.

  54. #54
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    24

    Default

    For me, the most important aspects of a phone are memory, screen size, and processing speed. I specifically need these qualities since I tend to use my phone a lot in gaming and watching videos when I am outside my house.

  55. #55
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aimayaram View Post
    For my phone, I prefer it to be :
    - cheap. The price is a big factor for me, as I always think about what will happen if I lose it.
    - fast. I would like to have a maximum amount of RAM. I hope RAM will become a lot cheaper, because my phone is very slow.
    - small and light. I don't want to know a phone is in my pocket, until I need it. I don't need big screens for anything.
    Cheap, you get what you pay fpr. I don't like cheap phones, I stay away from cheap phones, cause the quality won't be that good.
    webworld likes this.

  56. #56
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Cheap, you get what you pay fpr. I don't like cheap phones, I stay away from cheap phones, cause the quality won't be that good.
    I absolutely agree with you. That is the basic thing to be kept in mind I believe. If you compromise on the price, you would be getting inferior quality for sure. It might be looking good outside, but must have been built using low quality parts making it very fragile to use. The higher you pay the more refined handsets you will get with good functionalities, durability and user friendliness. Even though nowadays you can get Android phones with good features at very cheap rates, I really doubt their durability in due course of time.

  57. #57
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judai View Post
    Agreed. But, handset manufacturers are waking up to the problem of poor battery life. While handsets with 3000 mAH and 4000 mAH batteries are commonly available now, what surprised me was the Gionee Marathon M5, which is said to sport not one, but two batteries, both 6000 mAH!

    - - - Updated - - -



    Call clarity suffering because of poor signal strength is understandable. But I faced problems with inbound calls, which the service guys couldn't resolve, and hence offered to send it to their factory for repairs. I chose to buy a new one, a different brand, and I am quite happy with it.

    - - - Updated - - -
    As you said that you have purchased a new one which is so far working well, so it might be the handset. May I know what handset you have now? Is it Gionee? Because it was also sold in our market.

  58. #58
    Junior Member judai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    As you said that you have purchased a new one which is so far working well, so it might be the handset. May I know what handset you have now? Is it Gionee? Because it was also sold in our market.
    I bought Asus Zenfone 2 Laser. More than a month, and I am happy with its overall performance including Call Clarity and Battery life. I am looking at a second phone as well. That might well be Gionee, as you rightly guessed. But I would decide only after taking a look at Lenovo K4 Note.

  59. #59
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judai View Post
    I bought Asus Zenfone 2 Laser. More than a month, and I am happy with its overall performance including Call Clarity and Battery life. I am looking at a second phone as well. That might well be Gionee, as you rightly guessed. But I would decide only after taking a look at Lenovo K4 Note.
    I heard Lenovo K4 Note is a good one. That's one of my choices whenever I will buy again an Android phone. However, I am more on considering a Windows phone as I already have an Android phone.

    I was surprised that ASUS Zenphone 2 had a good battery life. Earlier Zenphones had issues with short battery life.

  60. #60
    Junior Member judai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    10

    Default

    You are right. But compared to ASUS Zenphone 2, the Laser one has better battery life.

    Since you are looking at Lenovo K4 Note, here are is a latest news update:
    It has 4GB of RAM not 3GB as said earlier. It comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Launch date in India is Jan 5th. Carries a price tag of Rs 12,999.00.

    The higher price, if true, could be because of 4 GB RAM, Fingerprint sensor, and Android 6.0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 5th January 2016, 09:44 AM
  2. cannot portforward please help-VERY VERY IMPORTANT
    By Rituparno Chowdhury in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19th March 2012, 06:05 PM
  3. Why Testing Is important?
    By Nicspy in forum Jokes and humor
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th December 2009, 12:15 PM
  4. Please help.....important...
    By reliance.doubts in forum Reliance Broadband
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th November 2008, 03:05 PM
  5. Important Phone Nos. for MTNL Mumbai
    By Dante in forum MTNL broadband
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th September 2006, 05:03 PM