Why Is It Important To Disable DHT when using private trackers:
A must read for all.
If you have enabled DHT you could be uploading to people who don't even have access to the site so you won't be receiving the proper credit for your uploads & downloads.
You will be sharing data out of the tracker and those ghost peers will be using your bandwidth to download from you.
Yes, you are forced now to re-download your torrents from the site, if you didn't create the torrent file properly but there is another problem with DHT, it opens way too many connections to your computer and it could cause many problems ... for example your router could run out of memory and freeze often, or your connection becomes very slowly.
One of the first processes that fails is DNS relay, which is why existing connections continue to work but new connections, like web browsing, starts failing.
In Azureus (Vuze):
1. Tools/Options/Connection (Tab)/ under "Peer Sources - Select the default permitted sources for peer connections" only check "From a tracker" and Uncheck:
- Decentralized tracking
- Supplied by another peer
- Added by a plugin
2. Tools/Options/Plugins/Distributed DB/ uncheck: - Enable the distributed database
3. Tools/Options/Plugins/Distributed Tracker/uncheck: -Only track normal torrents when their tracker is unavailable
4. Tools/Options/Tracker/Sharing/check: - Private torrent - only accept torrents from the tracker
(This should automatically grey out the option bellow: "Allow decentralized tracker when tracker is unavailable")
Click on the Save button and restart Azureus.
You should see a red dot and "Disabled" on the bottom of the main Azureus window.
- Enable DHT Network
- Enable DHT for new torrents
Click OK to save changes.
You should see "DHT: Disabled" on the bottom of the main uTorrent window.
FAQ: What is DHT and Why must I turn it off?
DHT must be disabled in your client, DHT can cause your stats to be recorded incorrectly and could be seen as cheating also disable PEX (peer exchange) Anyone using this will be banned for cheating the system.
Do not turn off DHT or peer exchange if you are only using torrents from TPB, mininova, etc.
You will definately have to disbale DHT and PEX in order to report your u/l and d/l stats properly to private trackers like Desitorrents, IPt, BWT etc. Not disabling these may result in a ban from the tracker in some cases.