Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Admin

Two ISP's in a house

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4

    Default Two ISP's in a house

    Dear Friends,


    Though I have been using Broadband for many years i am pretty much a noob on it's technical details.so i have some doubts.

    Currently i am using BSNL COMBO ULD 900 (the bill amount is being paid by my dad's office). so i would like to take another connection of reliance for the Thunder 1099 4 Mbps plan(4 download purposes) without cutting my current BSNL broadband plan .

    is that possible two ISPs on a single house.

    Would i be able to switch from two ISP' s as i desire

    Currently having a wired broadband connection(ofcourse) later on i would like to change the modem to a wi fi so that me & my brother can surf simultaneously on mobile & laptop.is it possible to change to wi fi modem & still enjoy surfing as it was before with the two ISP's (if that is possible) with no further complications


    What you say friends??

  2. #2
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thanzeer View Post

    is that possible two ISPs on a single house.
    Yes it is possible and there is no problem in doing that.

    Quote Originally Posted by thanzeer View Post

    Would i be able to switch from two ISP' s as i desire
    It is upto you which connection you want to use at any given time. For best results you can create wifi networks and switch to which ever one you want without having to touch any cables.

    Quote Originally Posted by thanzeer View Post

    Currently having a wired broadband connection(ofcourse) later on i would like to change the modem to a wi fi so that me & my brother can surf simultaneously on mobile & laptop.is it possible to change to wi fi modem & still enjoy surfing as it was before with the two ISP's (if that is possible) with no further complications
    You can create two seperate wifi networks at home and there is nothing complicated about that. You can use both the connections whenever you want.
    thanzeer likes this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks 4 the reply.

    U said to create two seperate wifi networks to make both connections available @ same time.


    so should i buy two wi fi modems(if so can u recommend a good one ).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks for the reply


    U said to create two separate wi fi networks @ home to make use of two ISP's available to different devices @ same time .


    so should i be buying two wi fi modems to avail this facility(if so can u recommend a good one)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4

    Default

    [QUOTE=Admin;387455

    You can create two seperate wifi networks at home and there is nothing complicated about that. You can use both the connections whenever you want.[/QUOTE]


    so should i buy two modems to make use of 2 ISP's available to different devices(mobile,laptop) @the same time

    if so can u recommend a good modem for this price??

  6. #6
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    You already have a modem so for that you need a simple wifi router to go with the modem that you already have. Any Rs800-900 wifi router will do for that.

    For the new connection I would suggest TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2 Modem Router

  7. #7
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Yes, it is possible to use more than one (even more than two) ISPs simultaneously. I used to have 3 at one point in the US for increased upload bandwidth.

    You can use a multi-wan router that will automatically combine and use both connections simultaneously. Web pages will load faster, and simultaneous multiple uploads will go faster too.

    I used to a Cisco rv016 to combine three 8m/384k cable modems to get 24m/1.152m when speeds here in the US were still slow. I dropped my other two modems when I was combining 25m/5m to get 75m/15m--much more than I needed.

    Multi-wan routers are a bit more pricey, but they also have better features and are faster overall. The Cisco rv series has some that support usb sticks, but you'll have to verify compatibility first because if it doesn't work you're stuck. Peplink also makes some good products, but they're more expensive.

  8. #8
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    114

    Default

    If we have two connections in one house is there a way that if one gets disconnected then the other connects automatically?

  9. #9
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    If we have two connections in one house is there a way that if one gets disconnected then the other connects automatically?
    Absolutely. I have experience with both the Netgear FVS series and Cisco RV series and both will do that. In fact, you can configure the router to use both connections at once, or only use one connection and failover to the other only when the primary goes down.

  10. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thanzeer View Post
    Thanks for the reply


    U said to create two separate wi fi networks @ home to make use of two ISP's available to different devices @ same time .


    so should i be buying two wi fi modems to avail this facility(if so can u recommend a good one)
    You have both the options, if you want to buy 2 wi-fi routers for both of your internet connections then you can do that, otherwise you can go for a Dual WAN router which have 2 WAN ports to connect both of your internet connections on a single router. The router model which I can suggest you is Cisco Linksys RV042 Dual WAN VPN Router.
    Also, I don't think that you need to buy any ADSL modem because you already got a modem from BSNL and Reliance will give you it's own pre configured modem.

  11. #11
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothVibes View Post
    You have both the options, if you want to buy 2 wi-fi routers for both of your internet connections then you can do that, otherwise you can go for a Dual WAN router which have 2 WAN ports to connect both of your internet connections on a single router. The router model which I can suggest you is Cisco Linksys RV042 Dual WAN VPN Router.
    Also, I don't think that you need to buy any ADSL modem because you already got a modem from BSNL and Reliance will give you it's own pre configured modem.
    The only problem I have with the RV042 is how quickly it fails. I have two rv016s that have outlived the rv042 by almost a decade. I would spend the extra money and get either the rv082 or any of the other rv series products that supports more than one wan.

    But remember, if you are using a usb stick as one of your Internet connections, find out which routers THEY recommend because a lot of the Cisco/Netgear multi-wan routers that support USB won't support the Indian ISPs.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd March 2010, 09:50 AM
  2. Furnishing a house
    By Preeti_20 in forum Fashion & Lifestyle
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th January 2010, 03:21 PM
  3. How to Enable wireless connectivity for my house
    By bmanrockz in forum Hathway
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 5th October 2009, 09:17 AM
  4. Boy at girl's house....too gud !!!!
    By navgemi in forum Jokes and humor
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18th March 2009, 03:13 PM
  5. 2nd broadband connection in the same house
    By prav in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st March 2008, 10:03 PM