Results 1 to 24 of 24

Reviews on Reliance Wimax, MTNL & Tikona WI-BRO

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    21

    Default Reviews on Reliance Wimax, MTNL & Tikona WI-BRO

    Reviews on Reliance Wimax, MTNL & Tikona WI-BRO

    Hello,
    It has been quite some time that I have wanted to write reviews on these service providers that I have used. This Sunday evening when the heat is at its peak and I see a mail from India broadband Forum on a contest I would like to post my opinions on these service providers I have used over a period of time to satisfy my writing skills that I very occasionally use.

    Before I start reviewing I would like to make it very clear that these reviews are based on services offered by these providers in my location and it would clearly differ from location to location however apart from the basic service I would also be sharing my experience with their customer service and on-site engineers and other factors to get an overall understanding of their service. I would also like readers to know that internet service is very important to me you can understand this considering I have my PC on 24 hours a day.

    1. Reliance Wi-Max
    My first ever broadband connection was Reliance Wi-Max which I subscribed to in November 2008(Dynamic IP)

    Pre-subscription Process: I was contacted by a Sales representative over the phone was given precise information about speeds, cost, plan rates & installation procedure. Everything went as promised I had the broadband in 2 days or so. No installation charges and I subscribed to their obsolete 400 KBPS plan for Rs.1100/- Ex-VAT.

    Post Subscription: I was initially using a direct connection to my PC from Reliance’s instruments installed however as I bought a laptop later on. I installed a D-link router very simple to install with the equipment and I could share my connection between my desktop and my laptop. Although something very simple but a very technological advanced step for a layman like me and the service was nothing less than excellent, consistent speeds on either torrents or direct downloads very less downtime. As I mention about downtime, a very interesting incident comes to mind there was a time when the Wi-max tower was being upgraded that was the time I did not have the internet for around a week or so. I was made aware about the same by the staff on the day2 of service not working and then the service came back on and in the next bill I found a credit for the days the service was non-operational. I must say was I was very amazingly surprised to see the credit on the bill thereby building trust on the provider. During this stint with Reliance I also moved between plans from 600 KBPS to 1 MBPS and the option Reliance provides is a charging on pro-rata basis for the days you are on the more expensive or cheaper plan and not needing to be on the same price plan for a whole month. This helped me a lot especially when I had to download large files I used to switch to a plan with more bandwidth and the transition was always smooth. No issues with the customer service as I find them very courteous and prompt.

    Pros: Consistent speeds, less downtime & 24/7 Customer Service Support.

    Cons: Little expensive, Dynamic IP resulting in session logging out in every 4-6 hours.

    2. MTNL Tri-Band
    Considering the above Cons and a suggestion from a very techie friend I took the decision to move to MTNL Tri-Band.

    Pre-Subscription: I went to the nearby telephone exchange as did not have their landline. I had to first apply for a landline connection and then go for Tri-Band. I paid Rs.500 deposit towards the phone and I took almost a week for the wireman to connect the line with a few visits to the exchange. Once the telephone connection arrived I immediately applied for the broadband connection and again had to visit the Telephone exchange a couple of times before the connection arrived. I subscribed for the 512 KBPS connection I don’t remember the pricing now however now when I go to the website now it shows a very lesser rate for the plan just Rs.600 (Very Competitive).

    Installation: I have included an additional point as I remember with Reliance Wi-max a small box like instrument was installed on the grill of my balcony whereas with MTNL all the wires were internal so looked a little clean although Reliance’s installation was quick and I did not mind a few wires from the balcony to the computer. The installation for the MTNL Tri-Band was done by two people who were not very computer literate and I had to somehow help them with entering the details for the subnet on my laptop but all said and done I was happy I downloaded a file from the internet and I got speeds of around 210-215 KBPS as my techie friend had told me.

    Post-Subscription: Most of my downloads are on torrents and this actually turned to be a nightmare for me. The good thing was I still had my Reliance connection active so I could compare the speeds of the same torrent on these two connections. I was downloading a large file around 40 GB half complete on Reliance and tried to continue the download however the speed I used to get on Tri-Band was only 5-10 KBPS or lesser whereas with Reliance I was getting a speed of 40-45 KBPS constantly which was appropriate as per my plan with them. One of the points that I realised that some torrents with large number of seeders were actually running at good speeds however not as expected. I searched the net and found mixed answers some saying that had good speeds and others not and then I landed on an article from the west where in they mentioned that some service providers in US used sharpers and what not to detect internet traffic and reduce speeds especially from P2P but I was not going to give up I tried a few days using options like port forwarding and others to improve torrent speeds but Tri-band refused to budge. Again I had a very difficult time setting up my router D-link D-300 with MTNL’s router /modem finally I had to settle in making it an access point. At this point, I would like to mention that the direct download speed for MTNL was quite good like mentioned. The speed I am talking about is purely relating to downloads on torrents as that was the most important to me. Later my techie friend who completed a month on Tri-Band told me that his speeds dropped as per plan he selected so he was only getting download speeds of 45-55KBPS.So I believe MTNL for the first month provides 2 MBPS speed resulting in me and my tech friend getting speeds of 200-220 KBPS in the first month again quite a disappointment because this is not informed to the customer. My problem with MTNL was the lethargic customer service and inability to communicate with the customer as expected (May be I was expecting something more). So after a few weeks and 3-4 days of downtime I decided to say good-bye to MTNL. Also once I called their contact centre at around 3.00 AM (I work late) the person on the other end was literally sleeping on the phone his voice was very faint and sounded most disinterested, He abruptly said that my exchange was having issues and did not have any idea as to when the service will be up. Considering these horrific experience I gave up internet from MTNL however I still have their telephone line which I haven’t used. I have to return that as well, as soon as I build the courage to go the exchange again.

    Pros: Inexpensive, Direct download speed is good.

    Cons: (This list can be endless but I will stick with) –Torrent download speed is dull, Sleepy customer Service, Computer Illiterate staff.

    3. Tata Wi-Max
    Also after a few days of not being online and after checking with another equally techie Friend I decided to go to Tata Wi-Max again quite mixed feelings about the service.

    Pre-Subscription: I was greeted by an overly confident and enthusiastic sales agent, who informed that the service was available in my area and made arrangements for the necessary. Took almost 4-5 days and a call to sales agent to get the installation guys they had a similar instrument like Reliance and they tried almost for an hour or two to get signal in my house however to no avail hence had to go back. I arranged for my cheque to be cancelled and within 3 weeks or so I received a letter from TATA Indicom saying that the service is unavailable and my cheque returned. This made be a little happy however if there was no service in my area this could have been informed to me in the first place.

    4. Tikona Wi-BRO
    Nevertheless, I did not lose hope. I saw advertised Tikona Wi-BRO in my area. It was advertised extensively and hence I decided to go for it after a demo that showed me speeds of 2.5 MBPS.

    Pre-Subscription: Again, Additional Rs.500 installation. I must admit out of all the installations this person from Tikona did not have much information he was constantly using my phone as he was not able to configure the connection. There was a relatively smaller instrument provided and had 4 lights on it which again were more or less like traffic lights but this instrument had to be kept on my window for it to get signal. When I started using it for the first time found it very difficult and then had the idea of logging in and out every time. I subscribed to their 600 KBPS unlimited plan for Rs.799 very competitively priced. They also provided an antenna which could go out of the house and connect to the instrument however for some reason it was not installed after a few days of experimenting with the instrument I had to fix it myself as I thought that it would boost my signal. But my stars were not in my favour.

    Post-Subscription: Speeds on the torrents very fluctuating. A lot of downtime and the best part that every time I called the customer service with a network issue they used to ask me if I knew where their base station was. (How is a customer supposed to know that). Well with all the previous experience I decided to have the internet connection not for downloads and changed the plan to a limited one with them for 1 GB. Their billing seemed to be quite good however the service issues continued. After a few months there seemed to be a very stable connection so I decided to move to 1 MBPS plan it was for 1299 & now starts the really story it took me 3 phone calls to change the PP because of a system issue over two days. They don’t have an option of pro-rata billing unlike reliance and the torrent speeds were slow as well as the normal speed was very fluctuating finally requested for cancellation considering poor service but I am not sure it is cancelled I have tried calling them many times on this however they still keep troubling me for money which I have decided not to pay considering lack of service. Also I paid them an amount as settlement and returned the equipment and the cheque shows encashed however they still want that as well as the other amount to be paid.

    Pros: NOTHING
    Cons: I can’t write more…..

    Conclusion
    With all the above experiences and not much of choice I returned back to Reliance. I was informed that Reliance was coming up with new price plans as they have had issues with Wimax not breaking even with revenue. They initially had only one plan for 2199 for 1.2 MBPS on Wimax and have now introduced many other plans.

    Pre-Subscription: There was this Sales Executive – Mr.Sadanand that I met with for this connection. A very polite person who gave required details. I subscribed for the connection on a Saturday and the installation people were on-site Monday afternoon (that’s what I call service) this time around I had taken the option for static IP with no issues of logging in so it took a day and half to get the static IP they installed it and as I was at work they tried to explain the same to my father however the service did not work and an engineer was sent the same evening.

    Post Subscription: I have been using this Reliance Static IP service for the last 3 months or so. I have had only 2 days of downtime. Once there was an issue in Mumbai and the connection was out for half a day and the other time it was down for day and half however I did not complain to them for 1 day thinking the service will come back on the next day when I complained an engineer was sent within 2 hours and my issue resolved. The service so far has been overly satisfying with almost around 350 GB of download so far.

    Pros: Reliance Static Wimax –ROCKS!
    Cons: A little expensive- But you pay for a service that works.

    Thanks for reading.

    Regards,
    Aditya Sharma
    Last edited by just4kix; 10th May 2010 at 06:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Bronze Member Arnaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Wow!!
    The reviews were really interesting!
    Rep+

    P.S: But why did you post this thread on 05-09-10? The contest was meant to start only today.

  3. #3
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Now this is what I call a article worth the contest.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  4. #4
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Great one bro. Rep given!

  5. #5
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172

    Default

    This this is a very good article, but just4kix ur rule states that all the articles posted not in the contest period will not be considered, and see the article posting date!!!

    Anyways, i would telll take this in the contest its a good one.

  6. #6
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Hmmm. I did not notice the date/time. I was online yesterday till 7:30 pm or so.

    I will go with the rules unless everyone agrees to make a waiver.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    I think we should allow this article into the contest.

  8. #8
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Let this article enter the contest. He submitted this only 3hours 7min before the contest started.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Arnaud has picked up the right nerve. I agree with him. I had seen some articles posted one or two days before the contest date and were removed quite rightly by just4kix. I would like to emphasize on one famous proveb here, "A Rule Is a Rule".

  10. #10
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sairabanu View Post
    Arnaud has picked up the right nerve. I agree with him. I had seen some articles posted one or two days before the contest date and were removed quite rightly by just4kix. I would like to emphasize on one famous proveb here, "A Rule Is a Rule".
    Those were not removed because of that reason alone. They were just rehash or pure copy/paste's. And that was the main reason.

    Otherwise, I would have just moved them to relevant sections.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11
    Alligator itsmemad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,269

    Default

    This article is a brilliant example about the standard we should maintain while participating in the contest. True to the spirit of the forum. Now, we have a tough job to match the trend-setter.

    @ Aditya_Sharma

    Please edit the topic and format the ISP names in bold so that we can locate the review of a particular ISP easily.
    Rep++

  12. #12
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itsmemad View Post
    @ Aditya_Sharma

    Please edit the topic and format the ISP names in bold so that we can locate the review of a particular ISP easily.
    Rep++
    I did that. He may not be able to edit anymore.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  13. #13
    Bronze Member Arnaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sairabanu View Post
    Arnaud has picked up the right nerve. I agree with him. I had seen some articles posted one or two days before the contest date and were removed quite rightly by just4kix. I would like to emphasize on one famous proveb here, "A Rule Is a Rule".
    I didn't mean anything like that while replying.

    I have no objection in counting in this thread for the contest.

    Anyway, it will now be a very tough job for anyone to catch up with the trend-setter, as itsmemad said.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    21

    Default thanks....

    Quote Originally Posted by itsmemad View Post
    This article is a brilliant example about the standard we should maintain while participating in the contest. True to the spirit of the forum. Now, we have a tough job to match the trend-setter.

    @ Aditya_Sharma

    Please edit the topic and format the ISP names in bold so that we can locate the review of a particular ISP easily.
    Rep++
    Hey Guys,

    I really appreciate the kind comments from all, I would like to thank each and everyone who has read the article and this really encourages me to write more…

    Thanks again.
    Aditya

  15. #15
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,029

    Default

    Rep++ from me too................

  16. #16
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    36 rep points received on this post alone - and perhaps more to come. Good going dude.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  17. #17
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    36 rep points received on this post alone - and perhaps more to come. Good going dude.
    Just4kix,
    It will give a hard challenge to your thread of SNR margin and Line Attenuation in terms of reps. can you tell me how many reps you got from that article. It will be inspiring for me and many others.

  18. #18
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    OK. Click the thumbnail below. These are reps received on the SNR thread.

    Attachment 7124
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  19. #19
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Its not just this forum... your snr thread is referred to from tens of other forums and blogs. By the way I repped you on that thread a few days ago and that comment of mine is missing from the screen shot!

  20. #20
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Ya man, he must have got above 1000 reps from that article! Awesome.

  21. #21
    Bronze Member Arnaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HACKdown View Post
    Ya man, he must have got above 1000 reps from that article! Awesome.
    The figure shown in the pic is not the rep he got from that post. It shows the total reputation points just4kix has/had.

  22. #22
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnaud View Post
    The figure shown in the pic is not the rep he got from that post. It shows the total reputation points just4kix has/had.
    No man, it is the rep he recieved from that post.... Read the first line! It states reputation gained from some particular post and u are talking about recent reps received, which is found in UserCP.

  23. #23
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HACKdown View Post
    No man, it is the rep he recieved from that post.... Read the first line! It states reputation gained from some particular post and u are talking about recent reps received, which is found in UserCP.
    No. Arnaud is correct. These are my total rep points. But enough offtopic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Its not just this forum... your snr thread is referred to from tens of other forums and blogs. By the way I repped you on that thread a few days ago and that comment of mine is missing from the screen shot!
    You comment is right at the top - says "Excellent thread".
    Last edited by just4kix; 12th May 2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  24. #24
    Bronze Member Sonu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Humm...

    I agree with you on MTNL being pathetic & Your views 100%

    But I disagree with you on Tikona...

    I don't face any torrent speed fluctuation....My torrent goes to full speed within 2 mins. (on 600 kbps plan)

    Regarding they asking you where your base station was...

    Yes this is hectic...but they ask you the base station coz they need to know the "Mac Address" of it...only then can they rectify any issue.

    This is bad coz when they send the installation guy he should give you a chit with the MAC Number saying when you have problem call our number & give them this number.

    I was facing speed issue before but I called them & said I have low speed & gave them my mac id & since then I have no problem.

    I was over charged in the bill though (but this is half my fault since I made the connection procedure a bit messy) but they have looked into it & Haven't given me any disconnection yet...

    I've explained to them about that problem very clearly & I don't think it is going to be a problem.

    I like how you can pay the bill thru their portal itself.

    I'm waiting for their this months bill...I hope it comes good coz if they still end up asking for more I'll be on my nerves.

    I agree though that MTNL just flat-out sucks now. It was good 6 months ago but now its pathetic.

    I don't know about Reliance...I suppose I'll get that if this Tikona go on charging me more in the bill which comes in 2 days.

Similar Threads

  1. MTNL IPTV Reviews
    By Tubelight in forum MTNL IPTV services
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th September 2015, 05:45 PM
  2. Reliance Wimax Reviews
    By Preeti_20 in forum Reliance wimax
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 23rd June 2013, 09:08 PM
  3. I want some information and reviews on Tikona WiBro
    By Rupaali in forum Tikona WiBro
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th July 2011, 04:24 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th August 2010, 01:00 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th November 2008, 10:42 PM