Results 1 to 25 of 25

Wifi on Reliance Mobile Broadband

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Lightbulb Wifi on Reliance Mobile Broadband

    Hi

    I've recently moved to chandigarh and tried to get a wired Broadband. BSNL said No Feasability and There is No response from Airtel.

    My Flat is little far away from the city and being a new construction, not much options were available,

    So I went ahead and got a Reliance Wireless (USB Stick) with Unlimited plan.

    Now I'm wondering, is it possible to hook up a wifi router to this? My thought is to use a old computer (Linux or Win XP) and connect the Reliance Stick and the Wi-Fi router and Bridge the connections.

    Either it could be a OS level Bridge Or run a proxy server.

    I have done this with a Wired internet a while back (Both the Options).

    But not sure about hooking up a Wireless Stick and a wifi router.

    Did any one try this and what is the thought on the technical feasibility.

    To give a background, I'm a Computer Engineer and can get hands on with OS settings / Linux kernel (With some help from Google / Forums though)!

    This is not specific to Reliance, so please chime in.

  2. #2
    LEARNER
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,263

    Default

    If you check in Reliance forum , this subject has been "flogged to death" "

    Reliance does not like you to use multiple systems.
    BSNL/MTNL/AIRTEL preferred.
    There could be a Connect Broadband( HFCL ?) available.
    same problem , unless Landline based Adsl connection.
    (2)
    If you have a laptop with Windows 7 install "connectify" and use the USB modem to connect to Reliance.
    Then your laptop will create an AP with Connectify.
    (2)
    or invest in a 3G wifi router , in which you insert the usb stick and get wifi for other systems.

    (3) In a Desktop ( with reliance stick )you can TRY the Lan ethernet card with a cross over cable CAT6 to connect to WIFI router.
    ( not straight Rj45)

    Feedback.

    Not familiar with LINUX.

  3. #3
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whizkid View Post
    Hi

    I've recently moved to chandigarh and tried to get a wired Broadband. BSNL said No Feasability and There is No response from Airtel.

    My Flat is little far away from the city and being a new construction, not much options were available,

    So I went ahead and got a Reliance Wireless (USB Stick) with Unlimited plan.

    Now I'm wondering, is it possible to hook up a wifi router to this? My thought is to use a old computer (Linux or Win XP) and connect the Reliance Stick and the Wi-Fi router and Bridge the connections.

    Either it could be a OS level Bridge Or run a proxy server.

    I have done this with a Wired internet a while back (Both the Options).

    But not sure about hooking up a Wireless Stick and a wifi router.

    Did any one try this and what is the thought on the technical feasibility.

    To give a background, I'm a Computer Engineer and can get hands on with OS settings / Linux kernel (With some help from Google / Forums though)!

    This is not specific to Reliance, so please chime in.
    I think you can use Connectify if you have Win 7?

  4. #4
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    get a wifi router compatible with USB data cards.

    There are presently two available in India that are not locked to specific service providers.

    1. Olive Nexus V-R9 (available online from Olive @ 3499)
    2. Sapido RB-1232V2 (available from Sapido India NOIDA - @around 3500 to 4000 - not sure about exact price)

    both have the option to connect to ADSL, HSDPA/HSPA USB modem and EVDO USB modem and can work with Win XP/Vista/7, Mac and Linux

    you could also upgrade to Reliance Pocket wifi router - but that would set you back by 8k and is available only in Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, and Mumbai (with free all india roaming of course)
    Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, Consciousness.

  5. #5
    Platinum Member mickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panchabhut View Post

    1. Olive Nexus V-R9 (available online from Olive @ 3499)

    how is this one?? i have a lot about it.. i think its quite nice.. people must feed in this thread..
    job takes the child away.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Humm.... The stiuation looks grim...

    First of all the speed on Reliance Data Card Sucks.. mostly it connects to 1X network with 50KBPS speed max.

    Also I burned the Wi-Fi Router's power adopter by plugging it directly to 220V (It was bought in US so 110V, I used it with the converter earlier, but some how missed it). So I can not even check the technical feasability.

    Interms of Bridging it, XP does not allow a Wireless connection to be bridged - so I need to look at the Proxy server route.

    I will start digging once I get the adopter fixed - will keep you posted.

    Also, banging to Doors of BSNL for BB connection!

  7. #7
    Platinum Member mickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whizkid View Post
    Humm.... The stiuation looks grim...

    First of all the speed on Reliance Data Card Sucks.. mostly it connects to 1X network with 50KBPS speed max.


    Dont know you achieved 50KBPS, i never got more than 15KBps atmost..
    job takes the child away.

  8. #8
    LEARNER
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,263

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whizkid View Post
    Humm.... The stiuation looks grim...

    First of all the speed on Reliance Data Card Sucks.. mostly it connects to 1X network with 50KBPS speed max.

    Also I burned the Wi-Fi Router's power adopter by plugging it directly to 220V (It was bought in US so 110V, I used it with the converter earlier, but some how missed it). So I can not even check the technical feasability.

    Interms of Bridging it, XP does not allow a Wireless connection to be bridged - so I need to look at the Proxy server route.

    I will start digging once I get the adopter fixed - will keep you posted.

    Also, banging to Doors of BSNL for BB connection!

    Few Updates:

    1. Got a power adopter from a local store and the Wi-Fi Router is running again

    2. Reliance Data Card and Connectify are not compartible, when Connectify is installed and reliance Netconnect program is initiated - the System hangs and restarts - Seems like reliance is blocking connectify (based on the FAQ in connectify website)

    3. Tried Sify Broadband - No luck - there is a taller building in the LoS of Sify Tower.

    so - here is the action plan -

    a. Explore the wifi router - proxy server route.
    b. check for other broadband providers (Does any one know Airtel sales person in Chandigarh and the technology they use - Wire or wireless)

  10. #10
    LEARNER
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,263

    Default

    Reliance Data Card

    http://www.indiabroadband.net/bsnl-b...tml#post332211

    Also, banging to Doors of BSNL for BB connection!
    Try here. No need to log in.
    http://udaan.bsnl.co.in/

    Did you try "connectify" with windows 7 OS or LinuX OS

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by essbebe View Post
    Reliance Data Card


    Try here. No need to log in.
    UDAAN PROJECT -- BSNL

    Did you try "connectify" with windows 7 OS or LinuX OS
    Thanks for the link on the Modem - Still trying to use my engineer skills with what I have - Also not sure if that is compatible with Reliance Data card. Took a look at the product details page - Nothing mentioned

    I tried using the UDAAN link - No BSNL Broadband availability in my area - only wiMax is available.

    I tried to use connectify - as I mentioned in the earlier post - it's not working with reliance netconnect dialer - system hangs and restarts

  12. #12
    LEARNER
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,263

    Default

    one model 3G wireless router.
    11N 3G Router by Leoxsys Networks Pvt Ltd. ++ Connecting Intelligence ++
    Reliance : Netconnect Huawei EC168C, Huawei EC1260, Huawei EC1261,Huawei EC1262,ZTE AC8710, ZTE 2726

    Google search for edimax etc.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Got it working - Sort off.

    Installed a proxy server in one laptop (Where Reliance Datacard is connected) - connected it to the Wi-Fi Router with Static IP.

    Rest of the devices (Laptop, IPhone etc) are connected to the Wi-Fi - with the DNS server manually entered (of that of the laptop where the Proxy server is running).

    No Wires - works perfect. only problem is need to switch off the manual config when I'm connected to a different wi-fi / Router etc..

    Thinking of setting up the proxy redirection at the W-Fi router itself. D-Link admin page is little complex - will report back on the results.
    Last edited by whizkid; 25th July 2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: .

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I think you can use Connectify if you have Win 7

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chungpe84s View Post
    I think you can use Connectify if you have Win 7
    Please read upthread - IME, Reliance NetConnect does not word with Connectify - the System reboots when you launch Relaince Netconnect with connectify installed.

    If you have different experience - let me know.

  16. #16
    LEARNER
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,263

    Default

    Reliance NetConnect does not word with Connectify
    -

    Not in the same laptop(1) where Reliance DATA CARD is used.

    WLAN card in laptop(1)Works as a "mini"wifi router AP( Accesss Point)

    Try in another laptop(2). SSID "connectify" may appear.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by essbebe View Post
    -

    Not in the same laptop(1) where Reliance DATA CARD is used.

    WLAN card in laptop(1)Works as a "mini"wifi router AP( Accesss Point)

    Try in another laptop(2). SSID "connectify" may appear.
    Can you please explain a little more..

    If I understand correctly, what you are suggesting is

    Reliance DataCard <--USB--> Laptop1 (XP) <---?---> Laptop2(Win7) with Connectify<---Wifi-->Other Devices

    My Question is, how Laptop1 & 2 connected (In terms of Settings / Protocol etc).

    Also Doesn't it still require a proxy server of some sort - to Route the requests from Laptop2 to Laptop1 and further.

  18. #18
    LEARNER
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,263

    Default

    Laptop 1.application " connectify " will NOT install [OS XP ]
    "application "connectify " will not work/install.

    Laptop2 Windows 7 "application "connectify " will install.
    Insert Reliance Datacard in this system..

    Keep SSID as "connectify" and check in laptop 1.

    To check "connectify' works try in an adsl modem connection.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by essbebe View Post
    Laptop 1.application " connectify " will NOT install [OS XP ]
    "application "connectify " will not work/install.

    Laptop2 Windows 7 "application "connectify " will install.
    Insert Reliance Datacard in this system..

    Keep SSID as "connectify" and check in laptop 1.

    To check "connectify' works try in an adsl modem connection.
    Humm... How do I "EXPLAIN" this -

    Connectify + Reliance Data Card (Actually the NetConnect Program which is the Dialer for Reliance Data Card) are not working when installed in the same laptop (Laptop Reboots).

    I check on Connectify support and it was confirmed that some Mobile Data Cards are not supported.

    I keep mentioning this (Conenctify + Reliance Data Card Issue) and I keep getting suggestions to use them..

    If there is a workaround or someone using this combo can comment, it would be great!

  20. #20
    LEARNER
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,263

    Default

    I check on Connectify support and it was confirmed that some Mobile Data Cards are not supported.
    Mention make /model No of the card.

    {A TPlink 3G router did not support a Teracom 3G card. LW ....
    Contacted the company, but no response }
    Situation here identical.
    Reliance does not like users to have multiple systems to work on a single user account.
    Why not buy another data card ?

    You can contact @RCOMCare for advice/solution. !!!
    or they may post here asking you to contact them !!
    http://www.indiabroadband.net/relian...tml#post337780


    For their WIMAX connection , a stand alone wifi router was recommended. Similar situation here.

    Any information in a thread, may help other users who read these
    posts.
    Last edited by essbebe; 11th August 2011 at 12:33 PM.

  21. #21
    mvmsk
    Guest

    Default solution-connectify

    hey dude...even i had the same problem..but now im using ...its the best alternate for connectify....no need to install it even
    Last edited by Admin; 21st March 2012 at 05:03 AM.

  22. #22
    linda87st
    Guest

    Default

    how is this one?? i have a lot about it.. i think its quite nice.. people must feed in this thread..

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whizkid View Post
    Got it working - Sort off.

    Installed a proxy server in one laptop (Where Reliance Datacard is connected) - connected it to the Wi-Fi Router with Static IP.

    Rest of the devices (Laptop, IPhone etc) are connected to the Wi-Fi - with the DNS server manually entered (of that of the laptop where the Proxy server is running).

    No Wires - works perfect. only problem is need to switch off the manual config when I'm connected to a different wi-fi / Router etc..

    Thinking of setting up the proxy redirection at the W-Fi router itself. D-Link admin page is little complex - will report back on the results.
    Hi whizkid,
    I am looking for similar setup where i have proxy server setup on laptop, connect data card(Tata photon) to this laptop and have all clients connect to internet through this laptop.

    Can you please let me know configuration of laptop where you setup proxy server and steps to setup the proxy server?

    Regards,
    ns

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I've used CC proxy and modified the network connection details in IE/Mozilla to use the proxy server instead of default connection.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    You can also use the latest connectify lite - It works with XP (adhoc mode) and I was able to connect my iphone through Wifi (Reliance Brabdband Data card & Shared from a Dell Laptop)

Similar Threads

  1. Complaint against Reliance 3G Mobile Broadband
    By ramdunitara in forum Reliance 3G
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 7th August 2014, 10:38 AM
  2. connecting mobile phone to bsnl broadband using wifi
    By shanki_111 in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3rd November 2011, 10:04 PM
  3. Connecting bsnl broadband on mobile from Wifi modem
    By sayan1111 in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 21st January 2011, 10:04 PM
  4. Bsnl broadband in mobile phone via wifi
    By 1802093 in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th June 2010, 09:40 PM
  5. Use of wifi enabled mobile over airtel broadband
    By abhinavmanu in forum Airtel Broadband
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd October 2008, 11:31 AM