Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Cashewfruit_wine
  • 1 Post By aimayaram
  • 1 Post By webworld
  • 1 Post By challengewriter
  • 1 Post By hurtadoluisalex

Is a projector better than a Monitor?

  1. #1
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default Is a projector better than a Monitor?

    There is a wide white wall on my room and it gives me a realization that a projector will fit on it. I know monitors have a radiation and they can strain my eyes so it makes me consider buying a projector. Also watching a movie file will be enjoyable with a larger screen and no screen will be larger than a projector. What are the best brands of projectors out there? Aside from PC's, Are projectors compatible with game consoles as well? I heard that there are also projectors that functions as television.
    aimayaram likes this.

  2. #2
    Junior Member aimayaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    33

    Default

    My uncle uses a projector all the time, for work and to watch TV in his bedroom. He needs a very big picture because he has special glasses and a poor eyesight. I don't know the brand but I'll try to ask him. But I prefer monitors, because I don't watch movies in my room, and we don't have a room dedicated to watching movies in my house. Once I tried to use a TV as my computer screen, thinking that the image quality would be much better, but I was disappointed because the game I wanted to play had a grainy quality. I guess the resolution on the TV was not enough, and I won't spend a high amount of money on a screen or a projector which can easily be broken if a child plays with it, for example by kicking on it!
    webworld likes this.

  3. #3
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aimayaram View Post
    My uncle uses a projector all the time, for work and to watch TV in his bedroom. He needs a very big picture because he has special glasses and a poor eyesight. I don't know the brand but I'll try to ask him. But I prefer monitors, because I don't watch movies in my room, and we don't have a room dedicated to watching movies in my house. Once I tried to use a TV as my computer screen, thinking that the image quality would be much better, but I was disappointed because the game I wanted to play had a grainy quality. I guess the resolution on the TV was not enough, and I won't spend a high amount of money on a screen or a projector which can easily be broken if a child plays with it, for example by kicking on it!
    I think you are right. I will not be comfortable using a projector for doing routine PC works. But for watching movies I think a projector could be better than a monitor. It can give a theater like experience if you got a good sound system too. But I think high quality Projectors are very costly and once its bulb (which is its main component) got damaged it is better to go for a new one. So, if you ask me it would not be handy for me mostly because of the budget factor.

    Moreover, if you want to use a projector , you need to have a good screen also which is not possible in all circumstances. But I agree with your point on radiation effect of monitors.
    aimayaram likes this.

  4. #4
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Or if you have a widescreen TV, you can connect your computer to it with a HDMI cord, I always do that and it's easier to use, especially with the aid of a wireless/Bluetooth mouse.
    webworld likes this.

  5. #5
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    I suppose a projector would be much better, and convenient for viewing movies, and videos rather than on a monitor, and it would be better for your eyes as you presumably wouldn't be sat as close to it as you are to your monitor. However, I wouldn't recommend gaming on a projector, as the display would be far too big, causing you to lose attention (especially if its a competitive game like counter strike.) Basically, the larger the screen, the harder it is to concentrate on a single area of it, as the display is so large that you will need to either sit very far away from it, or move your head a lot during game play.

  6. #6
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Or if you have a widescreen TV, you can connect your computer to it with a HDMI cord, I always do that and it's easier to use, especially with the aid of a wireless/Bluetooth mouse.
    That is a good suggestion, I think. If you can connect your computer to your TV you can have a better view in whatever you do, be it watching movies or playing games. I do that quite often and watch moveis on my TV. It's quite easy to use. But if any other family member wanted to use the TV the same time, then that will be a discomfort.

    A good LED TV can give a bettter viewing experience. But why whould we bother, nowadays most of the TVs come with USB ports. You can just copy a movie from the laptop and play it on your TV directly.

  7. #7
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    126

    Default

    I think monitors are better because of the details, I mean that with a projector resolution is lost if it is not well calibrated and adapted. It also depends on the timing and context, for example if you go to be alone, I do not think you want something so big, now if you are accompanied by one or more people is better to use a projector so that everyone can see without disturbing anyone.

    The projectors are very useful to watch videos, films and presentations but not for home use, however the monitor if it is more personal and manageable, also simpler to use. So I prefer whatever of them depending on where and with I am.
    webworld likes this.

  8. #8
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Projectors if you have a very big room and lots of people are watching it, that's what projectors are for. A TV screen is better, where you just need to buy some cables or just one and HDMI cord, so it's highly better than a projector. My own opinion.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    24

    Default

    It depends on the purpose and the preferences of the person. As you and Web world said, watching movies using projectors can be enjoyable. Also, projectors may also enhance the gaming experience. But for normal usage of the internet and the computer in general, I don't think that using projectors will be helpful in any way.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I think for presentations a projector would have better use than just on your room wall. I think if you are just doing everyday computing than you want to use a monitor. I'm not so sure about how good either of them are on your eyes. if you are watching movies, it might be good to have a projector because it could make you feel like you are in the theaters. i guess it just depends on what you are trying to do.

  11. #11
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nailah783 View Post
    I think for presentations a projector would have better use than just on your room wall. I think if you are just doing everyday computing than you want to use a monitor. I'm not so sure about how good either of them are on your eyes. if you are watching movies, it might be good to have a projector because it could make you feel like you are in the theaters. i guess it just depends on what you are trying to do.
    Although, projectors usually have to be very high quality, and expensive to maintain vibrant colors. You'd also probably need to buy a special canvas to project the image onto, as your wall wouldn't be that good for it. However, I think a projector is a link healthier for your eyes.

  12. #12
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hurtadoluisalex View Post
    I think monitors are better because of the details, I mean that with a projector resolution is lost if it is not well calibrated and adapted. It also depends on the timing and context, for example if you go to be alone, I do not think you want something so big, now if you are accompanied by one or more people is better to use a projector so that everyone can see without disturbing anyone.

    The projectors are very useful to watch videos, films and presentations but not for home use, however the monitor if it is more personal and manageable, also simpler to use. So I prefer whatever of them depending on where and with I am.
    I think you got some good points here. A projector view could badly affect the resolution quality of the video. But nowadays there are better projectors that do not compromise on picture quality. But I would be a little worried about the cost involved in buying a high resolution projector. As you said rightly, a monitor is more personal and manageable. But a projector would be better for a group of spectators sitting a big room or hall. It would be easier for them to watch the video on a big screen.

    I think a projector would be less strenuous for the eyes than a monitor. But a TV monitor could be the best choice for you and a small family.
    Last edited by webworld; 25th December 2015 at 10:40 PM. Reason: duplicate entry

  13. #13
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cashewfruit_wine View Post
    There is a wide white wall on my room and it gives me a realization that a projector will fit on it. I know monitors have a radiation and they can strain my eyes so it makes me consider buying a projector. Also watching a movie file will be enjoyable with a larger screen and no screen will be larger than a projector. What are the best brands of projectors out there? Aside from PC's, Are projectors compatible with game consoles as well? I heard that there are also projectors that functions as television.
    Yes, if a projector has the connection that your devices uses to display image it can be used as TV or to play games/watch movies, do whatever you want. There are some that have integrated speakers so you can listen to the sound!

    You can check some known brands such as Philips and Epson, they produce the best projectors in the market right now!

Similar Threads

  1. LCD/LED Monitor
    By gavin8393 in forum Computer Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 9th November 2015, 06:28 PM
  2. Monitor TV or TV?
    By tech426 in forum Home Appliances and Gadgets
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th December 2010, 08:04 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th October 2010, 01:34 PM
  4. Home Theatre Blues - Part 6 (b): Choosing the Projector
    By just4kix in forum Home Appliances and Gadgets
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th August 2010, 07:24 PM
  5. Need best buy LCD monitor
    By daemonoid in forum Computer Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st January 2009, 01:32 AM