- 19th June 2008 #1
Difference between Inverter and UPS
I have seen many companies which sell UPS and Inverter
What is the exact difference b/w a UPS and an inverter
I know both of them convert DC to AC but what is the exact difference
I was going through the SU-KAM website and they sell both UPS and invertor, not sure what is the difference
- 20th June 2008 #2
The basic difference in layman's terms is:
While both provide backup power during mains outage, with the UPS the switch is instantaneous whereas with the Inverter there is a gap of a second or two. This gap is OK for household gadgets such as lights, fans, fridge, etc. but not OK for computers.
In technical terms:
UPS: The mains power comes to the UPS. The AC is converted to DC and this DC is constantly charging the battery. The output of the battery is fed to the Sine wave inverter and it converts DC to AC and this feeds the equipment. Since power out is always drawn from the battery, there is no time lag when mains swicthes off; it justs stops the battery from being charged and the UPS continues to supply power till the battery runs out.
Inverter: The mains power comes to the Inverter. This is directly sent to the output but the AC is also converted to DC and this DC is constantly charging the battery. A sensor and relay mechanism checks whether the mains is ON or OFF. When the main switches OFF, the relay actuator triggers to switch from mains to inverter. Rest is same like the UPS. Because of this sensor and relay, there is a gap between triggering.
UPS involves more costly circuitary and is therefor more expensive to make and sell.
- 20th June 2008 #3
- 20th June 2008 #4
- 20th June 2008 #5
- 20th June 2008 #6
- 20th June 2008 #7
- 20th June 2008 #8
- 20th June 2008 #9
- 20th June 2008 #10
- By GODMODE in forum Computer AccessoriesReplies: 10Last Post: 23rd August 2012, 02:27 PM
- By mynet in forum Computer AccessoriesReplies: 11Last Post: 6th November 2011, 01:55 AM
- By knvn in forum Home Appliances and GadgetsReplies: 1Last Post: 8th May 2010, 01:00 PM
- By StarK in forum Computer AccessoriesReplies: 10Last Post: 12th April 2009, 01:39 PM
- By gardencityboy in forum Computer hardware and software tips and tricksReplies: 11Last Post: 20th June 2008, 05:07 PM