Results 1 to 33 of 33

Graphic Card Advisor

  1. #1
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Arrow Graphic Card Advisor

    In this thread, you all can have a look at all the best Graphics cards at different price points. You can even post your requirements here and our forum members can give you suggestions in this thread itself. For that, just tell the following things about your desktop in which you will be adding the graphics card to:
    • Processor
    • Motherboard
    • Memory (RAM)
    • Power Supply (PSU or SMPS)
    • Monitor
    • Budget


    Suggested Graphics cards:

    Budget : Under Rs 5,000
    a) ATI 4670 1GB
    b) 9600GT 512MB- But you need a decent PSU, so you may need to spend more.

    ** Note : For all below Graphics cards, you will require a Good quality Power supply, hence if you don't have one, please keep in mind that you may need to spend around Rs 4000 - 5000 for the power supply.

    Budget : Under Rs 7,000
    a)ATI 4850 512MB/1GB
    b)ATI 4770 512MB
    The GTS250 is also an option but is a little more expensive and does not make much difference when it come to playability in games.
    The 4770 is a little slower, but consumes less power than a 4850. If power consumption is a priority, it would be wise to go for a 4770.

    Budget : Under Rs 10,000
    a)ATI 4870
    b) GTX260 216 shaders/ATI 4890 (price around 11k)
    c)ATI 5750/5770 - Both slower than the above but are DX11 ready and consume a lot less power.

    Budget : Under Rs15,000
    a) ATI 5850 (priced at Rs 17k, worth stretching you budget for it)
    b)GTX 275

    Budget : Above 15k

    Above this range, i will currently recommend only the following:
    • ATI 5870 - Rs25,000
    • ATI 5970 - Rs40,000


    Will try to update the thread when newer cards arrive.

    Hope you all find it useful. Cheers !
    Last edited by rajan1311; 25th December 2009 at 07:26 PM.

  2. #2
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    very good.
    Helpful
    can't rep have to rep some others.
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Which is a good psu these days not much expensive

  4. #4
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Gigabyte 460W PSU, costs Rs2.2k is the cheapest i can think of.

  5. #5
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    I have a similar article here. Prices may have changed since then:

    http://www.indiabroadband.net/comput...-analyzed.html
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  6. #6
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    I have a similar article here. Prices may have changed since then:

    http://www.indiabroadband.net/comput...-analyzed.html
    ya....good thread.....prices have changed.

    i like the dx11 ones...new ones of ati.

    specially the 5850....

    Besides plz explain me anyone what is clocked and overclocked???
    in some threads some members say ***clocked @****
    i can't understand them.can anyone help me?
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  7. #7
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    I do not understand over/under clocking much. So I never touch those settings.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  8. #8
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    I do not understand over/under clocking much. So I never touch those settings.
    but i want to know that!
    some info should be there in the field

    rajan help us to understand clocking and overclocking.
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  9. #9
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    The GPU/memory/shaders have a speed ( or clock speed). The manufacturer decides the rated speed (called stock speed/clock) and the partners (all these sapphire, XFX, EVGA, powercolor,etc) can set the clock even higher than rated ones, these are known as Overclocked cards.

  10. #10
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    The GPU/memory/shaders have a speed ( or clock speed). The manufacturer decides the rated speed (called stock speed/clock) and the partners (all these sapphire, XFX, EVGA, powercolor,etc) can set the clock even higher than rated ones, these are known as Overclocked cards.
    what does these clocks actually do????
    i mean is it the fan speed????

    or something else?

    and so on according to ur posts i understand that overclocked card are better right??
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  11. #11
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    the "clock" is the number of cycles per second executed my the GPU core/memory/sharder. So more the cycles more amount of work can be done. Generally overclocking the graphics card is not of much help, go for what fits your budget.

  12. #12
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    the "clock" is the number of cycles per second executed my the GPU core/memory/sharder. So more the cycles more amount of work can be done. Generally overclocking the graphics card is not of much help, go for what fits your budget.
    how can a gpu cycle?

    and what is the unit in which clocks are written?
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  13. #13
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imrock View Post
    and what is the unit in which clocks are written?
    Unit is MHz/GHz. Its the frequency.

  14. #14
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    Unit is MHz/GHz. Its the frequency.
    plz answer the first question

    How can a gpu cycle?

    tell me.i want to learn more about this.
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  15. #15
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    read wiki please...

  16. #16
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    read wiki please...
    ok.......
    thank you for ur kind help

    now tell me that is putting a new PSU and a GFX in cpu difficult??
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  17. #17
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imrock View Post
    ok.......
    thank you for ur kind help

    now tell me that is putting a new PSU and a GFX in cpu difficult??
    no, its easy....but i dont want a 12 year old kid doing that

  18. #18
    Junior Member tusharch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dualcore3 View Post
    Which is a good psu these days not much expensive
    Cooler master 460W is approx. 2.7k

  19. #19
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tusharch View Post
    Cooler master 460W is approx. 2.7k
    buddy if you are talking about cooler master Extreme power 460W, its a very bad PSU in terms of quality. The cooler master real power 460W is good, but is Rs4000

  20. #20
    Junior Member tusharch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    buddy if you are talking about cooler master Extreme power 460W, its a very bad PSU in terms of quality. The cooler master real power 460W is good, but is Rs4000
    Oh ho .. i wasnt aware of that to be frank, I myself own one. IT's been working great for over a year. BUt what makes it bad I know it doesnt have PFC. It has got 4 sata power, 5 IDE power and lots of other connectors.

  21. #21
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Well for basic use it is OK. But when you stress it, or put some higher end stuff on it, it tends to have huge ripples which can fry you PC components. I had a 600W Extreme power, i was lucky that nothing went wrong, but my fren, his PC got fried when he added a new GPU. Now i got a corsair VX550. Thats pretty good.
    What i mean is, things like PSU are not changed often, so y not just buy a good one once and live with a peace of mind...what say ?

  22. #22
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    no, its easy....but i dont want a 12 year old kid doing that
    why don't u want me to do???

    because it is difficult for non-hardware experts like me?or any other reason?
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  23. #23
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    Unit is MHz/GHz. Its the frequency.
    The correct unit for frequency is Hertz (Hz) - neither KHz, MHz, or GHz.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  24. #24
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    The correct unit for frequency is Hertz (Hz) - neither KHz, MHz, or GHz.
    how to write in sentence???
    i think like this- ****clocked@4.5GHZ
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  25. #25
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    For every measure, there is only one Primary Unit of Measure and many Secondary Units of Measure.

    Secondary units of measure are useful when the figure to be represented becomes unweildy in the primary unit.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  26. #26
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    The correct unit for frequency is Hertz (Hz) - neither KHz, MHz, or GHz.
    What your saying is correct textbook wise, but then, in general you don't find cpus with frequency in Hz.

    Quote Originally Posted by imrock View Post
    why don't u want me to do???

    because it is difficult for non-hardware experts like me?or any other reason?
    You could find it hard even though the installation is fool proof. Just have a look at the guy doing it once, then, when you are 13 and won many contests, install your new comp on your own
    Last edited by rajan1311; 30th December 2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  27. #27
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    You could find it hard even though the installation is fool proof. Just have a look at the guy doing it once, then, when you are 13 and won many contests, install your new comp on your own
    can i find in youtube???

    or should i call the man who assembled my pc for me.
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  28. #28
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imrock View Post
    can i find in youtube???

    or should i call the man who assembled my pc for me.
    find on tube, if your confident, go ahead and do it on your own.

  29. #29
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    find on tube, if your confident, go ahead and do it on your own.
    not that confident.

    i guess if a single wire is plugged in wrong place then the whole system is going to get destroyed.this is the fear.

    and will the GFX support my motherboard??how can i know??
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  30. #30
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imrock View Post
    not that confident.

    i guess if a single wire is plugged in wrong place then the whole system is going to get destroyed.this is the fear.


    and will the GFX support my motherboard??how can i know??
    thats what i meant by fool proof, the wire can not be plugged in the wrong place, a wire goes in one place and in one way.

  31. #31
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    thats what i meant by fool proof, the wire can not be plugged in the wrong place, a wire goes in one place and in one way.
    but may or may not be there is some another port like that!

    and plz answer this-
    Will the GFX support support my mobo??how can i know??
    and i get a PSU of 500w for a GFX then won't it give the other parts more than they need.....will this blow them?
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

  32. #32
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    buddy, we will decide it later, you promised you will not discuss this now.

  33. #33
    The Master imrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    buddy, we will decide it later, you promised you will not discuss this now.
    oh i forgot!

    sorry now no talk about this till march.
    "LIFE IS LIKE AN ICE-CREAM SO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS U CAN"

Similar Threads

  1. Graphic card help
    By Mafiaplayboy in forum Computer Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 6th September 2015, 12:09 AM
  2. Need a graphic card
    By zerotolerance.big in forum Computer Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th March 2012, 10:37 PM
  3. need graphic card
    By naik_shrey in forum Desktop Computer
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th February 2012, 07:30 PM
  4. which graphic card to buy??
    By StormShadow in forum Desktop Computer
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 9th August 2010, 05:16 PM
  5. New Graphic Card
    By heaven2009 in forum Desktop Computer
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17th June 2009, 10:19 PM