1. #1
    Bronze Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    245

    Default Thai food vs Chinese food

    For a few months now, I am totally hooked on to Thai food. It is very similar to indian food with masalas and coconut milk minus all the oil and much healthier. It think it is far far better than chinese food. I wonder why it has not caught on in india as compared to chinese. What do u think?

  2. #2
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart
    aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    well the chinese u get in india is much more different than wht u get in china.....go to china, far east ....n try out chinese....i m sure u wont like it....compared to tht thai food is more tastier....!!!

    all these i m talkin is authentic chinese n thai....

    plus both these kinds of food ve varieties of non veg...n its difficult for veg. ppl.....!

    Chinese tht is famous in India is nowhr similar to authentic chinese in china....
    Dont count wat u lost, cherish wat u ve & plan wat to gain...coz past neva returns but future may return the lost! Think-Decide-Act!!!!

  3. #3
    Good to be Back

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    I once had Thai food when I was in LA,that time I didn't have any other options...It was good.yup it was better than the Chinese.
    Collection of my useful Threads - All in One

  4. #4
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,416

    Default

    The only Thai food I have liked is rice with thai red curry and it is a killer with too much chillies in it... Its good once in a while but I find thai food to be a bit too hot...

  5. #5
    Platinum Member
    Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aashaka_gandhi View Post

    Chinese tht is famous in India is nowhr similar to authentic chinese in china....
    this maybe cause there is still a touch of indian tastes in the dishes.

    But when you go to proper restaurants that's where you may find the difference.

    Im not good on this, but what exactly is the difference in chinese and thai food! I suppose it may be something when we are compared bengali food to punjabi food!

  6. #6
    Platinum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Preeti,
    Thai food and Chinese food are very different. To make it
    very simple (I am generalizing two great cuisines)

    Chinese food has mainly soy sauce (plus ginger, garlic, red chillies etc) and
    Thai food has mainly coconut milk (plus lemongrass, galangal, green chilli etc.)

    Both are tasty


    Some Chinese items are chowmein, kung-pao, mandarin, hunan etc.
    Some Thai items are Pad-Thai, green/red/yellow curry, Mussuman etc.

    -F

  7. #7
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    74

    Default

    I had authentic chinese when i went to shanghai. Its important to remember that china has different regions with different foods. For example, Cantonese food is very sweet (similar to gujarati food) while schezwan food is very hot and spicy with lots of chillies. so chinese too has variations.

    My fav Thai food is something called "jungle curry". It is brown in colour and has taste very similar to indian masala. I found thai better than chinese.

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    The only Thai food I have liked is rice with thai red curry and it is a killer with too much chillies in it... Its good once in a while but I find thai food to be a bit too hot...
    Another thing, the hotness of thai food should have made it more palatable to indians compared to chinese.
    Last edited by Mirzarocx; 4th February 2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #8
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    763

    Default

    The real chineese food cannot be eaten my most of us. as most of thier food is streamed and raw. for Indians its tasteless as we are used to eating masala food.


    And also, they eat lot of non-veg dishes. so veggies beware.

  9. #9
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary4gar View Post
    The real chineese food cannot be eaten my most of us. as most of thier food is streamed and raw. for Indians its tasteless as we are used to eating masala food.


    And also, they eat lot of non-veg dishes. so veggies beware.
    Infact, the fact it is steamed and raw makes it healthier than the chinese which we eat in India, which has Agino moto. This is known to affect the brain and has been banned in most countries except india.

  10. #10
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart
    aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    the chinese which we get is india is more oily... in no ways its healthier...

    i dunno i personally find chinese food stinky......!!!!! i had a house mate was a typical chinese n for a year......i had to stay wid her.....n thy jus ve those typical weird stinky smells...

    thai food atleast dont stink.....
    Dont count wat u lost, cherish wat u ve & plan wat to gain...coz past neva returns but future may return the lost! Think-Decide-Act!!!!

  11. #11
    Platinum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary4gar View Post
    The real chineese food cannot be eaten my most of us. as most of thier food is streamed and raw. ....
    Are you sure? you are not confusing with Japanese food?

    -F

  12. #12
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart
    aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    ummmm i think so he is.....japanese food is raw......for sure....or half cooked....!

    chinese food is all cooked
    Dont count wat u lost, cherish wat u ve & plan wat to gain...coz past neva returns but future may return the lost! Think-Decide-Act!!!!

  13. #13
    Bronze Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    245

    Default

    This means that most people dont know what real japanese or chinese food is. What you are talking about is just SUSHI. It is raw fish in rice cake. I have eaten it in London. This is eaten like a starter like our kababs. Authentic japanese food is cooked on stir fry with garlic etc.. They dont have gravy like chinese or thai. But it is definitely cooked.

    Based on one or two dishes people form opinions which is incorrect. My british friends think that all indian food is hot and spicy which is not true. They have just eaten one or two things and formed their opinion. Same is case with chinese, japanese and thai food. It may not have masalas but it is very nutritious and healthy. Not the unhealthy thingy we call "indian chinese".

  14. #14
    Platinum Member
    mickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aashaka_gandhi View Post
    well the chinese u get in india is much more different than wht u get in china.....go to china, far east ....n try out chinese....i m sure u wont like it....compared to tht thai food is more tastier....!!!

    all these i m talkin is authentic chinese n thai....

    plus both these kinds of food ve varieties of non veg...n its difficult for veg. ppl.....!

    Chinese tht is famous in India is nowhr similar to authentic chinese in china....
    i support you.my uncle lives in Shouzou,Shanghai and he told that whatever spicy is sold in Chinese is just the Indianed chinese food.real chinese food he says is far different.
    job takes the child away.

  15. #15
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Indian chinese is not good for health as it has AGINO MOTO which is banned by most countries around the world except India. It affects brain as well. Its not advisable to eat lot of Indian chinese.

  16. #16
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart
    aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    i didnt kno tht.....

  17. #17
    Platinum Member
    StarK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    actually aginomoto or monosodium glutamate originated in china only. this aginomoto is the name of the company who invented it there.

    and u can see that MSG can be found in nearly all the eatables outside as well as packaged food n all that junk, not restricted to chinese food at all

    it is harmful to a child's brain the most, it can give you irregular heartbeats (arrythmia, which i had for some time), palpitations, head ache n what not...

    the companies also have a habit of hiding it in other names like, yeast extract, etc.

    read all about it here Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    i've completely stopped chinese food, and also eat processed food ina very limited quanitity now.
    DON'T beam me up, Scotty!

  18. #18
    Amor vincit omnia

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,143

    Default

    But many packaged food are free from MSG these days.

  19. #19
    Platinum Member
    StarK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cool_techie_tvm View Post
    But many packaged food are free from MSG these days.
    then they have flavour enhancer 631 n all that... its just closely related compounds all these.
    DON'T beam me up, Scotty!

  20. #20
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StarryKnight View Post
    actually aginomoto or monosodium glutamate originated in china only. this aginomoto is the name of the company who invented it there.

    and u can see that MSG can be found in nearly all the eatables outside as well as packaged food n all that junk, not restricted to chinese food at all

    it is harmful to a child's brain the most, it can give you irregular heartbeats (arrythmia, which i had for some time), palpitations, head ache n what not...

    the companies also have a habit of hiding it in other names like, yeast extract, etc.

    read all about it here Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    i've completely stopped chinese food, and also eat processed food ina very limited quanitity now.
    Thanks a lot for this info. I was not aware about this. I know that it is banned in UK and US. Its really scary what we eat and what we are not even aware of what it contains. In indian chinese food, i think it is used to make the gravy thick.

  21. #21
    Platinum Member
    StarK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirzarocx View Post
    Thanks a lot for this info. I was not aware about this. I know that it is banned in UK and US. Its really scary what we eat and what we are not even aware of what it contains. In indian chinese food, i think it is used to make the gravy thick.

    no problems mate... actually the gravy is thickened using corn flour, i hope so though, as this is the normal method... the salt is just there to fool people about the real quantity of good stuff in your food.

    remember the chinese were adding melamine to fool detectors about the quanitity of protein in baby food? this is somewhat related to that... you can see all these dastardly chemicals arise from there... many babies were even killed in that scam.
    DON'T beam me up, Scotty!

  22. #22
    Bronze Member
    vikramjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Have you guys seen Kylie Kwong's show about chinese dishes in Discovery Travel & Living. It's one of the best shows I have seen, but last time she actually made something from Baby Octupus

    I think she makes authentic chinese food, unfortuantely I haven't got a chance to taste the authentic ones even in India ;-).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  23. #23
    Platinum Member
    StarK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    eeewwww damnit!

  24. #24
    Platinum Member
    StarK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    deja vu! :lol:

  25. #25
    Bronze Member
    vikramjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    funny it got double posted. If that ewwed you, she also cooks the strangest things i have ever seen. Its a fun show to watch though. I won't get to eat them but atleast let me see them..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  26. #26
    Platinum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Octopus actually tastes very nice, especially the Korean barbequed
    type. You just need to close your eyes and pop it into your mouth

    -F

  27. #27
    Bronze Member
    vikramjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    and let it swirl all over in your stomach. Btw she boiled it which makes it look more yucky
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  28. #28
    Platinum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vikramjb View Post
    and let it swirl all over in your stomach. Btw she boiled it which makes it look more yucky
    I don't know about your eating process, but mine goes something like this

    bite->chew->swallow. (the first two steps are important)



    -F

  29. #29
    Bronze Member
    vikramjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    ha ha ha farce

    all humans eating process are same including mine dude
    Just wondered what if its live when you are biting it

  30. #30
    Platinum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    I am sure the probability of it being live is pretty low
    after the barbecueing process.



    -F

  31. #31
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart
    aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    ughhh u ppl r disgusting.....tht u r discussin on eating octopus....yea i ve seen tht show once n i was like eeeeeeeeeew....yuk....how cud she....?

  32. #32
    Amor vincit omnia

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,143

    Default

    ^^ The feelings are mutual it seems. I have come across people who boast of eating cats and dogs...so i can maintain my cool

  33. #33
    saurav_k
    Guest

    Default

    uuuuuggghhhh ,... what are you ppl really talking about .. eating cats, dogs, octopus ... yaaaaaaaaaak ... how can someone eat these things ... :alien:

  34. #34
    Bronze Member
    vikramjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    get this, in Travel & Living channel, there was show where the host had to eat the balls of the bull

    how gross is that

    It was really round and really hard, from what i saw :lol:

  35. #35
    Platinum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    OK here's a joke.

    Two American tourists go to Spain.
    They go to a world famous bullfighting arena and
    watch the bullfighter kill the bulls.

    After that they walk to a nearby restaurant and
    order the day's special. They get a grapefruit sized
    dish and they enjoy trememdously. They ask what
    it is and the waiter says "the ball of the bull that
    got killed in the bullfight"

    So they continue this ritual for a few days
    immensely addicted to the dish. One day
    they ordered the special and the dish is more
    like a walnut sized one. They asked the waiter
    about that and he says "The bull won today"



    -F

  36. #36
    Amor vincit omnia

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,143

    Default

    OMG !!! That was gross

  37. #37
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart
    aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    farcey whr did u find such a gross joke.......very sad .....!!

    how cud ppl eat such things.....? though none of my matters....

  38. #38
    Bronze Member
    vikramjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    good one farce

    aaka, people eat dog, crow and lots of stuff. Nowadays anything that flies, walks and swims are being eaten. In human's case it happens only in some places.

  39. #39
    Bronze Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saurav_kataruka View Post
    uuuuuggghhhh ,... what are you ppl really talking about .. eating cats, dogs, octopus ... yaaaaaaaaaak ... how can someone eat these things ... :alien:
    Yes, It is true. Chinese people do eat cats and dogs. My father was telling me that in Shanghai restaurants, there are cages where there are snakes and monkeys alive. You have to select which one you want to eat and they will make it for you. I am not making this up. You can ask anyone who has been to Shanghai!

  40. #40
    Platinum Member
    StarK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devrajofjaipur View Post
    Yes, It is true. Chinese people do eat cats and dogs. My father was telling me that in Shanghai restaurants, there are cages where there are snakes and monkeys alive. You have to select which one you want to eat and they will make it for you. I am not making this up. You can ask anyone who has been to Shanghai!
    i think i'm gonna barf now

  41. #41
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart
    aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    ughhhhhhhh......china sucks.....when thy ve got options thn y eat animals n birds n reptiles....

  42. #42
    Platinum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aashaka_gandhi View Post
    ughhhhhhhh......china sucks.....when thy ve got options thn y eat animals n birds n reptiles....
    Are you Vegan?

    -F


    p.s It's like saying India sucks since gypsies eat iguana meat ;-)

  43. #43
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8

    Talking Sorry for the interruption.Chinese & Thai food ?

    Chinese food is far more diverse than Thai.China is a huge country,in every province there are different cuisine's,different ways of preparing them and what matters most is the ingredients available.
    And the Chinese food in India has been modified to suit the Indian palate.
    Trust me,we do not get real Chinese food in India.

    Thai food,the only thing that comes to my mind when anybody says Thai food is the "Lemon" grass.Not a fan :P

    When ever you serve Chinese food,theirs always a hot dish and a cold dish.
    Hot dishes are served spicy and boiling hot.Cooling dishes are boiled vegetables or soups.

    Funny thing I'd like to share.In a restaurant in North Campus,my friends and i went over to out favorite place to have Tibetan dumplings (momos).
    In the restaurant a group of people sitting next to ours ordered noodles and asked for chop sticks.Now that didn't really seem strange to me,what was peculiar about this whole thing was,the man who wanted the chop sticks was eating off a plate.

    You cannot use Chop Sticks and eat noodles off a plate.Its possible but the South Eastern cultures (like the Japanese,Koreans and Chinese) will not appreciate your bad table manners.

    fftopic:
    ?? LOL!! sorry i think i went way off course.

  44. #44
    Platinum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samuraijoe View Post
    and asked for chop sticks.Now that didn't really seem strange to me,what was peculiar about this whole thing was,the man who wanted the chop sticks was eating off a plate.

    You cannot use Chop Sticks and eat noodles off a plate.Its possible but the South Eastern cultures (like the Japanese,Koreans and Chinese) will not appreciate your bad table manners.

    fftopic:
    ?? LOL!! sorry i think i went way off course.
    So how do you eat the noodles off a plate? I have eaten noodles
    off a plate with chopsticks and the Chinese didn't seem to mind ;-)

    -F

  45. #45
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart
    aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    no i aint a vegan farcey.....but i m a eggitarian.....!

  46. #46
    Platinum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aashaka_gandhi View Post
    no i aint a vegan farcey.....but i m a eggitarian.....!
    You know what the Vegans are saying?

    "ughhhhhhhh......Aashaka sucks.....when thy ve got options thn y eat eggs"

    ;-)

    -F

  47. #47
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart
    aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    shut up.......farcey!!! enuf.....

  48. #48
    Bronze Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Have you tried the "Thai jungle curry". I dont know what it is actually called in thai. Its very spicy, not like red or green curry and is brown in colour with lots of vegetables.

Similar Threads

  1. Food Adulteration
    By Neetu800 in forum Food
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28th April 2015, 12:40 PM
  2. What food you would never eat?
    By alessadry in forum Food
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 17th March 2015, 04:01 PM
  3. Breakfast Food
    By Preeti_20 in forum Food
    Replies: 305
    Last Post: 6th September 2014, 11:56 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th December 2012, 01:59 PM
  5. Food Diary
    By Preeti_20 in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 5th May 2009, 02:48 PM

Posting Permissions

Log in

Log in
BSNL Broadband Forum Airtel Broadband Forum Reliance Broadband Forum Tikona Broadband Forum MTNL Broadband Forum Tata Broadband Forum
BSNL 3G Forum MTNL 3G Forum Idea 3G Forum Airtel 3G Forum Reliance 3G Forum Vodafone 3G Forum
Airtel Mobile Forum Reliance Mobile Forum BSNL Mobile Forum Idea Mobile Forum Vodafone Mobile Forum Aircel Mobile Forum
Tata Sky Forum Dish TV Forum Reliance DTH Forum Videocon DTH Forum Airtel DTH Forum SUN DTH Forum