Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 117

New contest

  1. #1
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default New contest

    I would like some very quick suggestions on what you think about this new contest... This is just going to be a trial run for the time being and the prize money would be a lot more in the real deal


    The competetion will run for 30 days starting from whenever we all decide. To decide the winners we will use the stats page and pick the top 15 posters as winners.

    The only condition is that the posts made in these sections wont be counted :
    General

    Entertainment and Recreation

    Everything else would be included and the stats page would just discount posts made in these sections
    I would start doing this from the day competetion starts and will start from one day stats and keep changing it to 2 days, 3 days and so on as time goes by and on the 30th day we would have a set time and we take a screen shot of the stats page and announce the winners.

    Important: Prize money will be deposited in to winners icici bank account only or they can choose to get paid by paypal for an equivalant amount in US$ whatever xe.com price of US dollar is on that day.

    These are the prizes for the trial run :

    1) Rs 5000
    2) Rs 4000
    3) Rs 3000
    4) Rs 2000
    5) Rs 1000
    6) Rs 900
    7) Rs 800
    8) Rs 700
    9) Rs 600
    10)Rs 500
    11)Rs 400
    12)Rs 300
    13)Rs 200
    14)Rs 100
    15)Rs 50

    Any stupid posts will be deleted by myself and mods without a doubt and anyone found copy pasting on the forum will be disqualified without a warning.



    Please post your opinion on this and when should we start this....

    If this test run goes ok we would have next competetion's prize money much much higher with first prize starting from may be 30k or may be more depending upon how this one goes.


    So when should we start this and if you think we shouldnt do this please post your reasons.

    If any one wants to write up the e-mail which is to be sent to all the members to inform them about the competetion please do so and send it over to me but need to keep it short and sweet and easy to understand.

    Thanks
    Parminder Chahal

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    :lol: era of spammers are gonee..


    posts mean what ?? new thrds ??

  3. #3
    De WatEvaa SweetHeart aashaka_gandhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,015

    Default

    neat one admin.....!!!!but wht about the threads which r good n posted in entertainment section???
    Dont count wat u lost, cherish wat u ve & plan wat to gain...coz past neva returns but future may return the lost! Think-Decide-Act!!!!

  4. #4
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    Good contest Admin, I think it would do well, and its pretty simple.

    Although i think you should highlight the point that copying is not allowed, as i think many people will miss this part (especially the new members), and copy paste like anything!

    What about those who post just one word answers?

    The entertainment and lounge section is where i generally post!

  5. #5
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    We can change that if a lot of members insist...

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preeti_20 View Post
    Good contest Admin, I think it would do well, and its pretty simple.

    Although i think you should highlight the point that copying is not allowed, as i think many people will miss this part (especially the new members), and copy paste like anything!

    What about those who post just one word answers?

    The entertainment and lounge section is where i generally post!
    are u talking about the spam sqad ? :shifty:

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    We can change that if a lot of members insist...
    change what ?
    Last edited by sb21pro; 19th January 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #7
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sb21pro View Post
    :lol: era of spammers are gonee..


    posts mean what ?? new thrds ??
    not just new threads... replies would get counted as well...

  8. #8
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    New topics for competition must be in a new thread - else it will be disqualified. Also I think the word count limit could be raised to 1500.

    Competition to start next Monday???
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  9. #9
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    I think we should have an exception on bollywood and hollywood movies, and also the lounge section!

  10. #10
    Amor vincit omnia
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,141

    Default

    Just received the notification on mail...i am in

  11. #11
    newprouser
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Everything else would be included and the stats page would just discount posts made in these sections
    I would start doing this from the day competetion starts and will start from one day stats and keep changing it to 2 days, 3 days and so on as time goes by and on the 30th day we would have a set time and we take a screen shot of the stats page and announce the winners.
    Do u mean to say that u will create a separate section in the stats page just for the competiton alone.

    An do u mean that there will be 15 winners as indicated by no. of cash prizes..

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    i think so, 15 winners and same stats page wid new parameters

    right admin?

  13. #13
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Yes 15 winners but no seperate stats page same stats page will have different settings... For example if competetion starts today I will set it to show one days stats and then tommorow set it to two days stats and keep increasing the stats shown by one day till the last 30th day

    Please let me know if you would like me to explain again

  14. #14
    newprouser
    Guest

    Default

    Fine, I gotit

  15. #15
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    164

    Default

    sounds good, when do we start?

  16. #16
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sb21pro View Post
    are u talking about the spam sqad ? :shifty:
    no spam is different, some people on the forum just copy text from other sources, and that's something which needs to be highlighted!
    copying and spamming is something different!

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Honestly I am new on these FORUM thingy... i only came here to get some answers ..

    I got this competition email...

    So..I really dont understand what do i have to do ?? POST a new thread ? is that the competition ? >>> about what do i post ? where and why ?

  18. #18
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    164

    Default

    maybe you should explain it again admin, including the start dates etc..etc...thnx

  19. #19
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshytkage View Post
    sounds good, when do we start?
    We start in a couple of days ... we need to spread the word and make sure a considerable number of people know about the contest and the success of this contest would mean prizes of possibly a few lacks in future

  20. #20
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    people we really will have to explain things like a b c!

  21. #21
    newprouser
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by india2020 View Post
    Honestly I am new on these FORUM thingy... i only came here to get some answers ..

    I got this competition email...

    So..I really dont understand what do i have to do ?? POST a new thread ? is that the competition ? >>> about what do i post ? where and why ?
    Yep u post a new thread on whatever topic u like...

    why ? coz u want to win the contest as well contribute something to the community, and ofcourse u get the cash prize as well...

    get an idea from here : http://www.indiabroadband.net/contes...-december.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Preeti_20 View Post
    people we really will have to explain things like a b c!
    can't blame em exactly they are new members maybe new to the forum concept as well
    Last edited by newprouser; 19th January 2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  22. #22
    Silver Member nilact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    324

    Smile

    Yes we should proceed with Admin's suggestion. So when are we starting?:001_smile:

  23. #23
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    164

    Default

    naaa....i'm not new to the forum concept , just new here...i just recieved the mail and really, being an indian, those numbers in the subject catch the eye...lol

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Basically I am not new to Forums, or Contests or Computers, I create Blogs for the world, no indian clients.. unfortunately none of them ever accepted the offer hahah ... sab idea leke bhaag jate hai !

    Anyways ... i know what all this was about.. but .. I wanted to act like a no brainer cause why wud anyone want to pay... to get the forum loaded with people just blabbering all the time .. just for some price money hahahah ! this is soo funny !

    Cool I have good topics.. I can start..... I hope so....
    Topics like:
    New Laptop I got - My Acer Aspire 16 inch, 320GB, 4GB, 2.00ghz, 9600 GS - 2GB,
    OR
    Religion
    OR
    Flirting
    Or
    Love and Romance

    Any thoutghs ?

    then after I type in my thread... do i invite in people to read or... just wait n watch

  25. #25
    newprouser
    Guest

    Default

    IMO we should allocate around 3-5 prizes exclusively for new comers say ( <50-100 posts ), coz that will attract more new members. What do u people think ?

    Quote Originally Posted by india2020 View Post
    Cool I have good topics.. I can start..... I hope so....
    Topics like:
    New Laptop I got - My Acer Aspire 16 inch, 320GB, 4GB, 2.00ghz, 9600 GS - 2GB,
    OR
    Religion
    OR
    Flirting
    Or
    Love and Romance

    Any thoutghs ?

    then after I type in my thread... do i invite in people to read or... just wait n watch
    Admin will post the rules of the competition as well ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshytkage View Post
    naaa....i'm not new to the forum concept , just new here...i just recieved the mail and really, being an indian, those numbers in the subject catch the eye...lol
    :lol:
    Last edited by newprouser; 19th January 2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  26. #26
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by india2020 View Post
    Anyways ... i know what all this was about.. but .. I wanted to act like a no brainer cause why wud anyone want to pay... to get the forum loaded with people just blabbering all the time .. just for some price money hahahah ! this is soo funny !
    Well this is the different thing about the forum, people do get paid when there are competitions and contests! You may want to see from the contests section, we have had previous winners who received their prizes!

    Well its a forum and forums are a place where people talk!

  27. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    17

    Default

    i am also in
    start as soon as possible

  28. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    OK when will this START?

  29. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default

    start it fast...
    i am in ...
    i am new ...
    i can win ...
    chau

  30. #30
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Have to wait and see if any senior members have any suggestions and what they think about it.

    You guys tell me when to start... Or shall we add a poll to this thread and see how many people are in and once we get 50+ votes of members willing to participate we launch it there and then... by the looks of it I have a feeling that this is going to get some good response.

  31. #31
    rajan1311
    Guest

    Default

    lol 15th spot get u 50 bucks .

  32. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Have to wait and see if any senior members have any suggestions and what they think about it.

    You guys tell me when to start... Or shall we add a poll to this thread and see how many people are in and once we get 50+ votes of members willing to participate we launch it there and then... by the looks of it I have a feeling that this is going to get some good response.
    ofcoure it will, when u put " win 19550 in subject "

  33. #33
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preeti_20 View Post
    I think we should have an exception on bollywood and hollywood movies, and also the lounge section!
    I agree with Preeti, this is where the interesting and long discussions
    will occur... atleast the relationships, food and health sections.

    -F

  34. #34
    rajan1311
    Guest

    Default

    IMO bcos of this, there will be too much spam for the mods to clean up. Dont really like the idea, try this:
    PPl post review/guides about various things and their quality will be judged by mods. Hence, it will benefit the people and we will not have too much spam.

  35. #35
    newprouser
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Have to wait and see if any senior members have any suggestions and what they think about it.

    You guys tell me when to start... Or shall we add a poll to this thread and see how many people are in and once we get 50+ votes of members willing to participate we launch it there and then..

    Quote Originally Posted by newprouser View Post
    IMO we should allocate around 3-5 prizes exclusively for new comers say ( <50-100 posts ), coz that will attract more new members. What do u people think ?
    yea poll is a good idea too

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    IMO bcos of this, there will be too much spam for the mods to clean up.
    I feel they should be just fine
    Last edited by newprouser; 19th January 2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  36. #36
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    I think there will be a good response to this contest, and yes lets wait for other senior members too!

    Well anyone who spams or copies content, they will disqualified! Simple!

  37. #37
    ShAdOwCoN
    Guest

    Default

    Imo its time to start ..... ppl had enough time to post in their ideas ... and there are a lot of newcomers willing to participate

  38. #38
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    How about next Monday for the start date (26/01/2009) but that's a holiday, will it make a difference?

  39. #39
    schwarzes.himmel
    Guest

    Default

    Ok. But what is the guarantee that we will be paid ?? lol

  40. #40
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    Well there have been contest on the forum before as well, and the winners have been given their money (including me). And Admin is not the kind of people you think he is, unlike most people who say things and don't obey them!

  41. #41
    ShAdOwCoN
    Guest

    Default

    You will be paid

    The contest has already taken place once and 3 to 4 people have been paid ...... This is nt another internet scam

    Give it a try u wont loose a leg

    PS:I am not a moderator of this forum and am not related to Admin by anyway

  42. #42
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzes.himmel View Post
    Ok. But what is the guarantee that we will be paid ?? lol

    :36: I dont know how to address this conscern of yours....

    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzes.himmel View Post
    Ok. But what is the guarantee that we will be paid ?? lol
    I deleted your second post... and to be honest I would rather have you out of this competetion thing any way... so I have made your decision on wether to participate in this competetion or not a lot easier for you for now...

    Banned for 30 days... come back for the next contest if you want but I dont tolerate bullshit here.

    If you think members who would win wont get paid then why bother ? just to prevent others from participating?

    This contest is not for people like you who never ever showed before and would only post for money... thats not what I want ... I would be happier if people like you didint take part as all you would do is spam this place.

    Its just to increase the level of participation of the members we already have here....

    We might have a restriction for the actual contest like have to have 100 posts already or things like have to be a member for atleast 2 months or whatever to keep crap out.

    This trial run would run as it is and would bring out all the trouble which we would actually face once this trial contest is over and wo go for the real stuff.

    Thanks

    ----------

    schwarzes.himmel just replied to this message in an e-mail and just said >>> "teri maa ki"


    Really makes me laugh... atleast we didint kick out the wrong guy after all
    Last edited by Admin; 20th January 2009 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  43. #43
    Bronze Member Outlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    schwarzes.himmel just replied to this message in an e-mail and just said >>> "teri maa ki"


    Really makes me laugh... atleast we didint kick out the wrong guy after all
    Oh boy! But I think its a bit too harsh. I mean, ban him from the contest, but not from the forum. 30 days is too long a time.

    Ok, about the contest, I don't understand this thing about the stats. Could you put it all in simple language please? What we do is we make a new thread, with an article that is not copied from somewhere. Then people reply to that article, and that makes your worth or whatever go up. I think this is how it was in the previous contest. So what is this about stats, and their being updated everyday, and how to find out the stats - are you referring to the Statistics on the user profile?

  44. #44
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    HydraHeaded,

    This is the stats page : India Broadband Forum - Top 50 Stats

    I dont know if youve had a look before but this has got a few stats about the forum and whats going on and stuff and one of them is the number of posts some one has made... at present it is set to show all time stats since the forum was set up..

    Now when the competetion starts say for example it starts today I will set it to show just one days stats page will only show stats relevant to the contest.. and as we go along I will keep on increasing the duration till we get to the last day of the contest the 30th day.

    Its not just new threads your replies would also get counted..

    Once youve seen the stats page please reply here that youve seen it and I will change the stats page to one day to give you the live example of what I mean

  45. #45
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Banned for 30 days... come back for the next contest if you want but I dont tolerate bullshit here.

    If you think members who would win wont get paid then why bother ? just to prevent others from participating?


    schwarzes.himmel just replied to this message in an e-mail and just said >>> "teri maa ki"


    Really makes me laugh... atleast we didint kick out the wrong guy after all

    glad hes been banned, its shame i feel sorry for people like him, just ruin things for others, and they are the ones who can not do things for themselves and ruin it for the rest of the people!

    I think he should be banned for life!

  46. #46
    Bronze Member Outlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Once youve seen the stats page please reply here that youve seen it and I will change the stats page to one day to give you the live example of what I mean
    I just saw it, it says "disabled". Is that what you wanted me to see? I think I get it, that the stats page will show how many posts or whatever a particular member has made, and then you'll count on the basis of that.

    I'll learn when the contest begins and the stats page gets updated.

    Thanks.

    Oh wait wait: After logging in, when I opened the stats page again, it was showing a whole lot of info. Like I said, I'll start learning once the thing begins.

  47. #47
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    the stats page seems to be working ok for me!

  48. #48
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Please have a look at the stats page now as I have set it to show just one days stats... so whatever has happened in the last 24 hours is showing up there...

    So every day we keep on increasing the number of days ... so tommorow it would show 2 days stats..

    Please do let me know if I missed out on anything

  49. #49
    Good to be Back
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    So what i understood is that...
    • The contest will run for 30 days instead of 7 day (as previous).
    • At the end of 30 days, the top 15 posters get the prize.
    • & the posts made in the General & Entertainment and Recreation section won't be counted.

    What is the "POST" here in the contest means...
    does it also include the replies which we post for any thread..
    or
    does it only include the thread which we start...
    Collection of my useful Threads - All in One

  50. #50
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Yes it would include your replies and also threads so like your reply above will get counted and for example if you start a new thread thats one post and then every reply of yours in that thread will also add upto your total.

  51. #51
    Good to be Back
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Yes it would include your replies and also threads so like your reply above will get counted and for example if you start a new thread thats one post and then every reply of yours in that thread will also add upto your total.
    Got it Adminji....This thing will surely help is reducing the spams.
    Well if thats the case,then people will concentrate more on replying than starting a new thread.As replying is far easy than posting a new/original thread.

    One more concern Adminjii,will 1 admin & 2 mods be enough to monitor the posts,I mean to reject the spam posts.

    Another suggestion I have is that: not to include the posts of senior members (including myself) in the contest. We would all want to see new members participating & winning...

    I'm sure if we have our senior members participating, then out of those 15 winners most of them would be the seniors.
    Collection of my useful Threads - All in One

  52. #52
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    its not necessary it will only be seniors Ramesh, because it will be daily stats, and being a senior member has nothing to do with it, a new members sometimes post a lot more than i do!

  53. #53
    Good to be Back
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preeti_20 View Post
    its not necessary it will only be seniors Ramesh, because it will be daily stats, and being a senior member has nothing to do with it, a new members sometimes post a lot more than i do!
    I may be wrong also.Lets see after we get those 15 winners...
    Collection of my useful Threads - All in One

  54. #54
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default

    About what matter we should discuss here.

  55. #55
    Silver Member prasannaganesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Count me in.

  56. #56
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Shall we start this from today midnight?

  57. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I don't get it what are we supposed to do?

  58. #58
    Silver Member prasannaganesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    338

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Shall we start this from today midnight?
    As you wish.

  59. #59
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Shall we start this from today midnight?
    Cool!
    So the official time is:
    00:00 Hrs 21 Jan 2009 IST +5.30


  60. #60
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary4gar View Post
    Cool!
    So the official time is:
    00:00 Hrs 21 Jan 2009 IST +5.30

    Time is not final yet... I was just asking for opinions... weve still got a few senior members who have not seen this thread so gonna have to wait till evening atleast to make it final.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Contest 2011
    By Admin in forum Contests
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 15th November 2011, 06:04 PM
  2. regarding article contest
    By rajan1311 in forum Suggestions and Complaints
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th August 2009, 11:48 AM
  3. New writing contest?
    By Admin in forum Suggestions and Complaints
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 7th August 2009, 05:58 PM
  4. Hello Contest
    By The One in forum General offtopic discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10th December 2008, 02:52 AM
  5. Contest on IndiaBroadband.net
    By Admin in forum Suggestions and Complaints
    Replies: 224
    Last Post: 24th November 2008, 11:00 PM