Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Rubie
  • 2 Post By nevinjohn
  • 3 Post By webworld
  • 1 Post By qwerty
  • 1 Post By Rubie
  • 1 Post By aimayaram

LED TV possible for virus infection?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default LED TV possible for virus infection?

    As my way of allowing my toddler watch some educational videos, I download from a specific video downloader and copy it to my USB Removable Drive. But recently, the LED TV seems to be working on his own without the aid of remote control. There's a menu option that pop-up without any interaction from the viewer. Is it possible that my USB had a virus and infect my TV?
    SmoothVibes and aimayaram like this.

  2. #2
    Gold Member nevinjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Unless your TV is a smart TV! Although a pop up menu on pluggin in a USB is not a virus!
    Rubie and SmoothVibes like this.

  3. #3
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    I don't think your LED TV is infected with a virus. It may be an issue with your remote or some internal wiring issues with your TV. I was experiencing a similar problem with my LCD TV. Whenever I keep the remote somewhere near to my TV, it use to go to standby mode on its own. It was actually dust which got accumulated in the remote that led to this strange behavior. So, I suggest you to check your remote first.

    I think normal LED TVs cannot be infected by a virus as it needs an OS to infect, they hardly infect memory. But I am sure insane people will come up with new ways to infect TVs too in near future!
    vinaya, Rubie and SmoothVibes like this.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I think normal LED TVs cannot be infected by a virus as it needs an OS to infect, they hardly infect memory. But I am sure insane people will come up with new ways to infect TVs too in near future!
    Its probably with the remote control because after cleaning it, abnormal reaction is gone. Well your are probably right with the possibility of infecting a Television but I don't think its an easy task for cyber criminals. According to the article I read, although some modern Television are built with processor that runs a operating system which is prone to infections of viruses by a malicious third party, a possibility of risk with regards to security is low.

    The television chipset actually come from the same manufacturer and almost every TV uses MIPS or ARM CPU cores. But because the system generally have their OS written as Read Only form, the increase of reliability is practiced and that reduces the risk.

    It is also a fact that TV are fixed devices with relatively low functions that is not a target material for cyber criminals unlike PC's and mobile devices which functions is substantial for them to take advantage.

  5. #5
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    In theory any device that is connected to the internet is capable of being hacked or getting a virus, and a TV is no exception.

    The likelihood of a TV getting a virus though is extremely low I would have thought, as they won't be a target from a hacker, so the only way it could happen would be by file transfer.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Any device connected to the internet is no longer dumb, it is smart.

    All such smart devices are capable of being compromised.
    However the probability of your TV getting infected by a virus are pretty low unless you are some high profile celebrity, who are a target for hackers.

    Modern smart TV's have vulnerabilities and backdoors which allow running of untrusted code. Infact such devices are more prone to being compromised than regular PCs.
    This is due to the fact that since a TV is used only for entertainment, people do not use it for banking purposes, the developers do not put stringent security checks in their product. Hence they are more easily hackable than a PC.

    A couple of months ago, a smart fridge was hacked. The hackers controlled the fridge remotely and used it for sending spams. You can read up the news on the internet.
    aimayaram likes this.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    The likelihood of a TV getting a virus though is extremely low I would have thought, as they won't be a target from a hacker, so the only way it could happen would be by file transfer.
    Exactly my point @pwarbi, there's less cyber crime targeting Televisions because the operation is Read Only meaning you can only see files or data on the TV but there's no chance on manipulating the data in the TV. That is why it is hard for the hacker (if ever they have a plan to) to manipulate a Television.

    I don't think that internet connected devices are prone to hacker's attack, because as modernization is established at this moment, even Television now can be connected to the internet with some DSL Plan. Using LED television browsing the net is even possible. So even television is internet operated but the chances of cyber crime is minimal.
    aimayaram likes this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Not like that, because the virus need operating system, in LED TV doesn't have any operating system and memory so no problem to use virus pendrive

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Virus is nothing but a code which does harm to the system. Any system that runs with code can be infected by Virus. Usually, TVs or Refrigerators doesn't have any Operating System. Because they work on Embedded Systems (a miniature version of computer). It is quite possible to infect these systems also, but not that easy. So, don't worry about a Virus in your TV. It may be a simple glitch in working.

  10. #10
    Junior Member aimayaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubie View Post
    As my way of allowing my toddler watch some educational videos, I download from a specific video downloader and copy it to my USB Removable Drive. But recently, the LED TV seems to be working on his own without the aid of remote control. There's a menu option that pop-up without any interaction from the viewer. Is it possible that my USB had a virus and infect my TV?
    It makes me think of the "magic packet" that can wake up a computer with a signal. For example, my computer switched on when the phone was ringing when I was a teenager, because I changed a setting in the BIOS. It's low level, so I guess it could affect your TV.

    Another option is if someone has sprayed water on the TV, this can cause some strange behaviors, and I tried it when I was a child. You can look at your remote through a smartphone camera while you see the unsolicited menu. If you see the infrared ray and you are not touching the remote buttons then it is because of the remote, a stuck button maybe.
    webworld likes this.

  11. #11
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aimayaram View Post
    It makes me think of the "magic packet" that can wake up a computer with a signal. For example, my computer switched on when the phone was ringing when I was a teenager, because I changed a setting in the BIOS. It's low level, so I guess it could affect your TV.

    Another option is if someone has sprayed water on the TV, this can cause some strange behaviors, and I tried it when I was a child. You can look at your remote through a smartphone camera while you see the unsolicited menu. If you see the infrared ray and you are not touching the remote buttons then it is because of the remote, a stuck button maybe.
    I think the best option would be to take the remote out of the accessible area and check if the issue persists. When the remote is not in the accessible area it will solve the issue for the time-being if it is related to remote. Another reason may be a clogged switch in the TV set itself. Clean it with a soft towel and vacuum cleaner. I think it will take care of this.

    As far as virus is concerned, I think there is no need to worry as TVs don't operate on OS. So there is no medium for a virus to operate in. But it is not impossible also. There was a news that a hacker can even influence the automatic insulin pumping machines which are used for chronic diabetic persons and thereby a hacker can even kill a person by increasing the dosage. But I don't know how it works?

Similar Threads

  1. Microbattery From Virus
    By Anything in forum Computer Security
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th October 2009, 08:43 PM
  2. Getting malware infection in glaide32.sys file
    By capri in forum Computer Security
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th September 2009, 07:06 PM
  3. Imrans is not a virus ?
    By meetdilip in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th April 2009, 05:37 PM
  4. Virus in registry, pls help
    By meetdilip in forum Computer Security
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 25th April 2009, 11:32 PM
  5. virus attack !
    By cheeru in forum Computer Security
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 7th April 2009, 02:03 AM