Results 1 to 27 of 27

Fair use policy

  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    285

    Angry Fair use policy

    the fair use policy in most european countries according to my knowledge is that they request u 2 download larger stuff at night if u download during the day theyll give u a warning even if u continue downloading theyll give u a second warning if u continue after that theyll disconnect u but in india they have screwed up the entire thing according to reliance and tata FUP is a download limit of 10gb or something,according to airtel and bsnl its 50% reduction in speed its all money making business since the isps dont want to invest in infrastructure they introduce crappy stuff like FUP its high time the gov looks into this in us there were massive protests against net neutrality

  2. #2
    Platinum Member mickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    FUPs are really very bad in India..
    job takes the child away.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    The unlimited download plan falls in very high price bracket making it hard to afford and to get normal speed too we have to suffer from limited downloads during the day

  4. #4
    Platinum Member puchu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinit View Post
    the fair use policy in most european countries according to my knowledge is that they request u 2 download larger stuff at night if u download during the day theyll give u a warning even if u continue downloading theyll give u a second warning if u continue after that theyll disconnect u but in india they have screwed up the entire thing according to reliance and tata FUP is a download limit of 10gb or something,according to airtel and bsnl its 50% reduction in speed its all money making business since the isps dont want to invest in infrastructure they introduce crappy stuff like FUP its high time the gov looks into this in us there were massive protests against net neutrality
    I didn't know BSNL having any FUP ?????????????????????

    in last 3 yrs I have downloaded at least 100GB on an avg per month(a total of more than 3.5TB), so as per FUP(in Europe) I am a criminal.

  5. #5
    The Wizard meetdilip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,776

    Default

    New unlimited plans from BSNL has FUP.

  6. #6
    Platinum Member puchu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meetdilip View Post
    New unlimited plans from BSNL has FUP.
    Do you know exactly which plans ?

  7. #7
    The Wizard meetdilip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,776

    Default

    Please check

    Untitled Document

  8. #8
    LEARNER
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,263

    Default

    May be this.
    Untitled Document

  9. #9
    LEARNER
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,263

    Default

    Probably this. speed reduced. after some limit.
    Untitled Document

  10. #10
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    As far as I know, Reliance does not have FUP and neither does BSNL. But meetdilip is saying new BSNL plans have FUP. So I don't know.

    FUP (on Airtel and Tata) is applicable on unlimited plans of 384 kbps and above. It is not applicable on 256 kbps plans.

    The problem in India is that everybody is using internet to download illegal stuff. Heavy downloads of music and movies is causing a select few to hog the bandwidth. Operators do not make any money out of FUP. They are not charging you more if you exceed their "fair usage". While I am against FUP, I am very much against piracy also. So I can't fault either way.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11
    The Wizard meetdilip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,776

    Default

    FUP is there in plan ULF 1499 (1 Mbps unlimited with FUP 25 GB). I posted a link but it went to moderation.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Even unlimited plans are subjected to FUP's

  13. #13
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alokmis View Post
    Even unlimited plans are subjected to FUP's
    Only unlimited plans are subject to FUP. Limited plans are usage bound anyway.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    Only unlimited plans are subject to FUP. Limited plans are usage bound anyway.
    But isn't unlimited suppose to mean unlimited download whereas, FUP limit the download capacity?

  15. #15
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alokmis View Post
    But isn't unlimited suppose to mean unlimited download whereas, FUP limit the download capacity?
    When a set of people starts using high speed unlimited usage BB plans to download illegal stuff, that limited set start hogging bandwidth. This is the argument in favour of FUP.

    In India, there are not tools or net watchers who monitor what you download. In US and other places, if someone downloads movies or illegal stuff via torrents/rapidshare, they are warned, reported and sometimes action is taken against them.

    What the ISP say
    "The FUP limit is 25 GB in most cases and this is sufficient for most of the home users"
    . After exhausting the limit, you are not prevented from internet access - your speed is reduced. Besides, FUP applies to unlimited plans of 384 kbps and above only. The speed is reduced to stepwise and finally to 256 kbps.

    I am not advocating for or against.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  16. #16
    The Wizard meetdilip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,776

    Default

    I think they should allow NU in unlimited plans. As in transportation heavy vehicles are allowed at night, heavy downloading too should be scheduled at night.

  17. #17
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    In India, there are not tools or net watchers who monitor what you download. In US and other places, if someone downloads movies or illegal stuff via torrents/rapidshare, they are warned, reported and sometimes action is taken against them.

    What the ISP say . After exhausting the limit, you are not prevented from internet access - your speed is reduced. Besides, FUP applies to unlimited plans of 384 kbps and above only. The speed is reduced to stepwise and finally to 256 kbps.

    I am not advocating for or against.
    While downloading torrents(dont know whether legal or illegal) I have noticed that most of the time half of the seeds and peers are from US.This means even if there are tools or net watchers they are corrupt.I agree that laws are very strict in European countries because I rarely see a European Flag in Utorrent.



    And According to me Fiar usage policy should be named as Limited usage policy.FUP is completly unfair. Its a complete Disgrace to the Unlimited Plans because if they have a FUP their unlimited tag gets fake.
    Why cant anyone curb torrents sites from displaying illegal torrents?
    Why cant they limit or curb torrent trafic?
    Why to put restructions on internet users only?

  18. #18
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tech123 View Post
    While downloading torrents(dont know whether legal or illegal) I have noticed that most of the time half of the seeds and peers are from US.This means even if there are tools or net watchers they are corrupt.I agree that laws are very strict in European countries because I rarely see a European Flag in Utorrent.

    And According to me Fiar usage policy should be named as Limited usage policy.FUP is completly unfair. Its a complete Disgrace to the Unlimited Plans because if they have a FUP their unlimited tag gets fake.
    Why cant anyone curb torrents sites from displaying illegal torrents?
    Why cant they limit or curb torrent trafic?
    Why to put restructions on internet users only?
    I can't believe that someone grown up does not know what is legal or illegal. If you do not know whether is legal or not, you should ask. BTW, 99% of torrents are illegal.

    I am not saying that only Indians are at the forefront of piracy. Piracy exists everywhere. People pirate software and digital content because it is so easy to do so. Many thousand posts ago, I write the following; I am writing this again:
    • People will buy expensive gadgets but loathe to pay anything for software.
    • Everyone says that they use pirated stuff because software is so expensive. This is a load of crap. People do that because they can carry out a theft and not get caught at all. You buy hardware; you always end up paying for it. Why? Because it cannot be pirated like software.
    • People easily pay Rs. 1000+ at a mutilplex (say four movies per month) but will not pay anything for software.
    • People pay fancy money at an expensive restaurant but say that software is unaffordable.
    • People are ready to buy the high end graphic cards (Rs. 6000+) but will not buy games.
    • People here are complaining about FUP because the FUP is hindering their illegal downloads.

    I am against FUP too but I am more against piracy. My Home 500C+ plan gives me only 2.5 GB but yet it is sufficient for me. And I have near 0 NU.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tech123 View Post
    And According to me Fiar usage policy should be named as Limited usage policy.FUP is completly unfair. Its a complete Disgrace to the Unlimited Plans because if they have a FUP their unlimited tag gets fake.
    Why cant anyone curb torrents sites from displaying illegal torrents?
    Why cant they limit or curb torrent trafic?
    Why to put restructions on internet users only?
    I agree the term 'Fair' usage being not so fair should be replaced.

  20. #20
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    I can't believe that someone grown up does not know what is legal or illegal. If you do not know whether is legal or not, you should ask. BTW, 99% of torrents are illegal.

    I am not saying that only Indians are at the forefront of piracy. Piracy exists everywhere. People pirate software and digital content because it is so easy to do so. Many thousand posts ago, I write the following; I am writing this again:
    • People will buy expensive gadgets but loathe to pay anything for software.
    • Everyone says that they use pirated stuff because software is so expensive. This is a load of crap. People do that because they can carry out a theft and not get caught at all. You buy hardware; you always end up paying for it. Why? Because it cannot be pirated like software.
    • People easily pay Rs. 1000+ at a mutilplex (say four movies per month) but will not pay anything for software.
    • People pay fancy money at an expensive restaurant but say that software is unaffordable.
    • People are ready to buy the high end graphic cards (Rs. 6000+) but will not buy games.
    • People here are complaining about FUP because the FUP is hindering their illegal downloads.

    I am against FUP too but I am more against piracy. My Home 500C+ plan gives me only 2.5 GB but yet it is sufficient for me. And I have near 0 NU.
    I agree with you and I think not even 99%, 100% torrents are illegal.
    But Piracy Cannot be banned completly because even if the torrents sites go down, Will people stop sending files through internet?

  21. #21
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tech123 View Post
    I agree with you and I think not even 99%, 100% torrents are illegal.
    But Piracy Cannot be banned completly because even if the torrents sites go down, Will people stop sending files through internet?
    I used torrents purely as an example. Rapidshare also falls in the same category. I do not say that torrent trackers or RS should be banned. But these sites should ban storage, use and spread of copyrighted content. And I can tell you one thing. If the torrent sites are systematically hunted and shut down, piracy would reduce quite a lot.

    People are getting away with digital content piracy because it is so easy and very few will ever get caught. I also admit that software costs are on the higher side. But even if they were brought down significantly, I doubt whether anyone (all over the world) would like to pay. Why pay, when one can get it free?

    Let me also admit. I also fall in the same category. I have two software packages that I use as a booleg copy - I rarely use them; maybe once in a quarter and therefore I find paying loathesome. But over the years, I have tried to be as legal as possible.

    a) I stopped movie downloads a year ago.
    b) I converted my Windows and other software/utilties legal (except the two I mentioned)
    c) I buy original movie content.

    The FUP has a limit of 10 GB or 25 GB. After this, you are not banned from using the internet. Nor are you charged extra money directly. The speed is reduced to 256 kbps.

    This is what BSNL FAQ Pages says (Q 33):

    33. What all can I do with 1 GB(Giga Byte) download?
    A. One GB is 1024 Megabyte or 1073741824 bytes. You can do the following with 1 GB download limit:
    1. An average web page is about 50 kilobytes in size - so you could download around 20,000 web pages for 1 gigabyte.
    2. An hour of surfing the web would be around 10 megabytes (200 pages) so you could surf non-stop for about 100 hours for 1 gigabyte.
    3. An hour of streamed radio would use about 15-20 megabytes.
    4. An hour of streamed video uses around 100-150 megabytes.
    5. Playing an online game typically uses about 10-15 megabytes per hour.
    6. Emails are very small - so 100 emails would be just 1 megabyte - or 100,000 emails for 1 gigabyte! (of course the attachments count extra)
    7. A super-high resolution (5-6 megapixel) digital camera JPEG picture or typical MP3 music file is about 2-3 megabytes so you could download 350-500 of these images/music files for 1 gigabyte.

    Very few users would actually exceed the download limits set.
    All those who crib about FUP, please answer the following questions truthfully:

    a) Tell me, if this limit not sufficient for you?
    b) If the limit is not sufficient, why is it not sufficient?
    c) What downloads are making the usage cross the limits?

    As I have said that I am also against FUP. But if people are saying that they are crossing the limit because they download a 700 MB to 8 GB movie, every second or third day, then I am sorry that I cannot support the argument against FUP.

    No one is perfect.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  22. #22
    Platinum Member talktoanil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meetdilip View Post
    I think they should allow NU in unlimited plans. As in transportation heavy vehicles are allowed at night, heavy downloading too should be scheduled at night.
    lolzzz nice comment

  23. #23
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    226

    Default

    @J4k
    Ohh My God!
    I never even thought that BSNL could be so smart that it has topics such as contention ratio and peer to peer File shareing in their FAQs.
    Now I understand why these ISPs set a limit or FUP.

    But I just dont get it why MTNL is such a dump.
    One of my friends had suscribed for 512UL at 599 per month and he is getting 2mbps speed.He has downloaded around 100GB in 20 days.MTNL has never introduced FUP in any of their plans and thats what I like about them.
    Unlike BSNL(I read questions 32 and 33) MTNL does not even bother how much resources are consumed by how much % of users.
    Such attidues of a particular ISP takes a major role in aiding piracy.

    Even I got my IPTV disconnected and and my speeds went up. Check this out. Paying 999 a month for 1mbps UL and getting double the speed.



    I think the reason for this is that MTNL has got tons of bandwith available for free.

  24. #24
    Platinum Member player's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    I would like to clear one thing and i will be as simple i can be..

    Fair Usage Policy or FUP simple means that after crossing a certain limit say 25gb or anything your speed will be reduced as per the ISP terms and conditions and YOU WILL NOT BE LIMITED you will still be unlimited in terms of downloading... only the speed will be reduced nothing else...

  25. #25
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    tech123, FUP has not been introduced to check piracy - at least not directly.

    I doubt whether the ISPs really care about software, movie/music piracy. They are just pissed off that some users are getting more than they are paying. Let me narrate you a humourous incident.

    A restaurant in Pune (F C Road) used to serve rice plates and full (unlimited) meals. I was a student then and used to live in the hostel at FC. We used to eat at this restaurant every Sunday evening when the mess was closed. The price was cheap for the quality and naturally we used to eat the full thaali. After week-full of unedible food, we used to behave like Jughead's at this place. After eight-ten months or so, the restaurant stopped serving the full meals.

    So you get the gist of the parallel story?
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  26. #26
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post

    A restaurant in Pune (F C Road) used to serve rice plates and full (unlimited) meals. I was a student then and used to live in the hostel at FC. We used to eat at this restaurant every Sunday evening when the mess was closed. The price was cheap for the quality and naturally we used to eat the full thaali. After week-full of unedible food, we used to behave like Jughead's at this place. After eight-ten months or so, the restaurant stopped serving the full meals.

    So you get the gist of the parallel story?
    A very good example.
    Now I can only hope that my speeds should not be reduced to 1mbps again.
    2mbps is great as long as its available.

  27. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default Rating as per usage

    Rating of broadband should be as per usage.

    Regards
    Ganesh

Similar Threads

  1. any fair usage policy recently?
    By rsennat in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23rd June 2010, 11:35 AM
  2. Fair Usage Policy
    By karan85 in forum Reliance Broadband
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th March 2010, 11:06 PM
  3. Airtel Fair Usage Policy
    By cool_techie_tvm in forum India Broadband and Telecom News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26th September 2009, 09:26 PM
  4. Any Fair Usage Policy?
    By n_varun in forum Reliance wimax
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th September 2009, 04:52 AM
  5. BSNL Fair use policy??
    By merla1 in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th April 2009, 03:49 AM