Results 1 to 59 of 59
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By pwarbi
  • 1 Post By aimayaram
  • 1 Post By vinisouz
  • 1 Post By Cashewfruit_wine
  • 1 Post By webworld
  • 2 Post By vinisouz

Is laptops as durable as desktops?

  1. #1
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default Is laptops as durable as desktops?

    I think there is a general feeling that laptops are not as durable as desktops. I have seen desktops working continuously for 24 hours without any break and they perform very well without any issues. But people very rarely use laptops like this. Is it OK to use laptop for long hours at a stretch? Will it affect its lifetime in any manner?

  2. #2
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    The main reason laptops aren't used for long periods of time is because of the heat, or should I say because of the lack of decent fans.

    Obviously a desktop PC with a tower will have more room to be able get the fans in there to keep it functioning at a reasonable temperature. Laptops on the otherhand can struggle from time to time and aren't meant to be used non stop.
    vinisouz and kenzenith like this.

  3. #3
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Nope, they are not as durable as desktops unfortunately. If they don't have proper cooling systems they can't be used as much time as the desktops. They overheat much more and they need to be cleaned more frequently than the desktops. And if you don't clean them they will start to overheat a lot, and it can damage your hardware, not because of the heat (because laptops parts are built to withstand high temperatures, but of course if they are subjected to that high temperatures for long times they can't resist forever) but because of the forced shut down that they frequently do. That shut down can damage your Graphic Processor Unit (GPU) faster than you think, because it obligates the GPU to shut down imeddiatly so it doesn't have time to shut down properly and it can led to malfunction later.

    Other thing is that laptop parts are harder to change and replace because generally they are all integrated in a small space and if you want to replace one part you can't simply replace one, you need to replace much more. In deskptops you can just replace the CPU if needed, the GPU if needed etc

  4. #4
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post
    Nope, they are not as durable as desktops unfortunately. If they don't have proper cooling systems they can't be used as much time as the desktops. They overheat much more and they need to be cleaned more frequently than the desktops. And if you don't clean them they will start to overheat a lot, and it can damage your hardware, not because of the heat (because laptops parts are built to withstand high temperatures, but of course if they are subjected to that high temperatures for long times they can't resist forever) but because of the forced shut down that they frequently do. That shut down can damage your Graphic Processor Unit (GPU) faster than you think, because it obligates the GPU to shut down imeddiatly so it doesn't have time to shut down properly and it can led to malfunction later.

    Other thing is that laptop parts are harder to change and replace because generally they are all integrated in a small space and if you want to replace one part you can't simply replace one, you need to replace much more. In deskptops you can just replace the CPU if needed, the GPU if needed etc
    Thanks for this detailed answer to my query. It was really helpful. I used to keep my laptop open for close to 12 hours at a stretch. After some time I can hear some sounds (may be the fans at work to cool it down) and quite fortunately it did not give any issues till now.

    For cleaning the laptop what should we need to do? Hope we can do it ourselves than asking for a professional help. What about using a vacuum cleaner to catch dust from a laptop. Will it anyway damage the laptop?

  5. #5
    Junior Member moondebi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Nowadays desktops are not as much as in use as laptops.
    The main reason of laptop to score over the desktop is its mobility factor. The Desktops are fixed in a place, whereas laptops can be shifted at will.

    With the advancement of technology, as such there is no heating issue with the laptops. I, myself keep my laptop open throughout the day, and it has been working for a long time. If the device is taken care of properly, where the ventilation panels are not clogged with dust or dirt, there should be no reason of laptops not working for a long duration.

  6. #6
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    You are right, laptops can perform without any issues as long as desktop if we take proper care of it. The main point is to ensure proper ventilation as in the case of a laptop the cabin size is too small, it may become hot very soon. But it is equipped with enough number of fans to keep the system cool. But if there is no way to breath in and breath out, it may create an issue in the long run.

    In fact nowadays some laptop models offer better performance than desktops.

  7. #7
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    For office based work I still don't think a desktop PC can be beaten, but these days more work is being performed outside of a regular office environment so this is were the laptop or even tablets can come in to their own.

  8. #8
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    For office based work I still don't think a desktop PC can be beaten, but these days more work is being performed outside of a regular office environment so this is were the laptop or even tablets can come in to their own.
    I used to work for a telecom company and there were no desktops in any cabins. Only desktops we can see were in IT department. Company provide laptop to each and everybody and expect them to work on holidays too .

    We were able to access the emails which was on Lotus Notes through a website designed for that. It is very beneficial for the company too when employees work for them 24x7 using their own electricity and infrastructure. So, I think desktops are out of trend now. It is very rare to see those big fat screens and CPU houses.

  9. #9
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    I think it depends on the company to be honest.

    I know places such as hospitals and call centres still utilise desktop computers in their offices as they are being used practically 24/7 and for that kind of use a desktop will last a lot longer than a laptop or tablet based device.

    For people that work out and about, these days it seems that most of the laptops are being replaced by tablets so maybe its the laptop that will die off first.

  10. #10
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    I think you got a point there. I have seen almost all BPOs use desktops in their call centers. I think desktops are more convenient for a job where no field work is required. Moreover, they got wide screens and keyboards which make them easy to use.

    Another disadvantage of laptop is data security. As employees can carry their laptops to their homes, there is high risk on data security. They can give sensitive customer data to competitors who can pay well. There had been instances like this in corporate world.

  11. #11
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    The main reason laptops aren't used for long periods of time is because of the heat, or should I say because of the lack of decent fans.

    Obviously a desktop PC with a tower will have more room to be able get the fans in there to keep it functioning at a reasonable temperature. Laptops on the otherhand can struggle from time to time and aren't meant to be used non stop.
    Yeah I can only use my laptop for 5 hours. After five hours it is burning hot and it starts to slow down. There was a time when I abused my Laptop and used it for 12 hours because I got addicted to a game and My laptop ends up overheating to the point of getting broken. I never had issues with my desktop computer being open 24/7 as long as my air conditioner is on. I can use my desktop 24/7 because it's fan is really good. I don't abuse my computers anymore. I only use them both only 5 hours a day so they will always cool down. I don't want want to spend too much money with repair services. When my laptop got broken, the price of money I paid the repair man is the price of a second hand computer. I know there are portable fans you can buy that is said to cool down laptops but I don't think they work. My tablets can keep me busy while I am waiting for my PC's to cool down. I don't want over heating my appliances.

  12. #12
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cashewfruit_wine View Post
    Yeah I can only use my laptop for 5 hours. After five hours it is burning hot and it starts to slow down. There was a time when I abused my Laptop and used it for 12 hours because I got addicted to a game and My laptop ends up overheating to the point of getting broken. I never had issues with my desktop computer being open 24/7 as long as my air conditioner is on. I can use my desktop 24/7 because it's fan is really good. I don't abuse my computers anymore. I only use them both only 5 hours a day so they will always cool down. I don't want want to spend too much money with repair services. When my laptop got broken, the price of money I paid the repair man is the price of a second hand computer. I know there are portable fans you can buy that is said to cool down laptops but I don't think they work. My tablets can keep me busy while I am waiting for my PC's to cool down. I don't want over heating my appliances.
    If your laptop is heating up too often, why don't you try a cooling pad? Usually it is not required for a laptop and if you are using it extensively for longer hours for activities like gaming, a cooling pad is good. It is very cheap and you can find it in almost all online shopping sites.

    I use my laptop close to 10 hours a day, never faced any issue of excessive heat. But there is a fan voice coming up in between. I think the fans are trying to cool it down. I am planning to check my laptop to ensure that all vents are clean for proper air flow.

  13. #13
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    The bigger the device, the bigger and better the fans, and its as simple as that. A desktop PC very rarely overheat's simply because it as the appropriate size of fan encased within the tower, a laptop obviously is restricted.

    The most important thing regarding the laptopm is tunnels sure it's got adequate ventilation, and none of the vents are covered.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Desktop computer are most likely durable than laptop because it is not designed for potable use. Since laptop are movable and carried along anywhere, then the possibility of damage is expected even not intentionally. I think this is one of the advantages of Desktop Computers which supports its durability as purpose.

  15. #15
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    For long term use and if a device is going to be needed to be in use for a full working day for example then a desktop is definitely the way to go.

    Laptops and tablets are of course both useful but more because of their portability rather than their durability.

  16. #16
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    I found my laptop is generating much less heat while running on XUBUNTU than while running on WIN 7
    Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, Consciousness.

  17. #17
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    @Rubie I think you are right. The portability factor of laptops can cost us in long term. I use to travel a lot with my laptop and there are other things stuffed in my backpack. But when I use laptop after a journey, it shows some lines across the screen. Then one of my friends told me to put some pressure on the screen with fingers and it just disappeared. I think it may not be good in the long term. But if portability is not there, the main purpose of laptop is defeated.

    @panchabhut that is a good piece of knowledge. Thanks for sharing. I think it is a Linux based platform which is a freeware. How long have you been using XUBUNTU and how user friendly it is when compared to Windows?

  18. #18
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Based on my personal experience, I think laptops aren't far behind desktops in terms of durability. The biggest advantage of laptop over desktop is the portability factor, and that's why people prefer laptops over desktops now a days. I use my laptop almost all day and use it for web surfing, gaming, movies and it works completely fine with a little heating, but that's negligible.

  19. #19
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Xubuntu is very user-friendly and the UI is almost similar to Win XP. however, for installation of new programs, the command based terminal mode is better than the graphical Ubuntu Software Center route, so familiarity of using command line would be added advantage. I am using it for more than a year and now shift to windows only occasionally.
    Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, Consciousness.

  20. #20
    Junior Member Damien Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Desktops definitely rank a bit higher in durability than do laptops. However, modern laptops are better designed than in previous generations and they have more efficient cooling and ventilation in place. I think if you've bought a laptop over the past year or two, you should have a computer that will last you long enough. But if you need a computer to run 24/7, it's always better to go with a desktop. The worst that can happen is that the power supply dies on you, but that can be easily replaced at a low cost.

  21. #21
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damien Lee View Post
    Desktops definitely rank a bit higher in durability than do laptops. However, modern laptops are better designed than in previous generations and they have more efficient cooling and ventilation in place. I think if you've bought a laptop over the past year or two, you should have a computer that will last you long enough. But if you need a computer to run 24/7, it's always better to go with a desktop. The worst that can happen is that the power supply dies on you, but that can be easily replaced at a low cost.
    I agree with your point that nowadays we can see laptops which are as durable as desktops. With proper ventilation and cooling features laptops can survive for long term like desktops. I think another drawback of laptop is that it is not easily repairable, but desktops can be easily repaired in case of any technical issues. But it all depends on how you use a laptop. The portability factor of laptop is definitely an edge over desktops.

  22. #22
    Junior Member aimayaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    33

    Default

    In my case, laptops are more durable than desktops. That's due to the fact that I use my laptop like a desktop, as I work from home, and rarely bring it in another place. I have a desktop computer that lasted about 2 years whereas my laptop is still working perfectly since I bought it 3 years ago. It's the power supply in my desktop that broke down, because of a faulty wall socket. I never put my laptop on clothes, because that's the number one reason why devices fail due to overheating. It's always on a wooden surface.
    webworld likes this.

  23. #23
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    In my case, my laptop is lasting a long time with great performance. I have since 2011. In fact, the structure offered by the desktop is more durable than the laptop. However, Taking care of your laptop with the basic tips that we see out there over the internet, it can last a long time.
    webworld likes this.

  24. #24
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    In my case, my laptop is lasting a long time with great performance. I have since 2011. In fact, the structure offered by the desktop is more durable than the laptop. However, Taking care of your laptop with the basic tips that we see out there over the internet, it can last a long time.
    Absolutely, it all depends on how you take care of your laptop. If you take it with you while traveling more often, there is high possibility of damage and if you use it like a desktop as @aimayaram has already mentioned, it may last as long as desktop.

    I feel that the modern laptops are not as durable as the old ones. I may be wrong also. My first laptop was IBM Thinkpad which was quite a sturdy one. It was somewhat heavy, but very durable one. It lasted for a very long period and finally succumbed to rough use. But my current Toshiba Satellite version is not very durable, I feel it is very fragile.

  25. #25
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    I am not really comfortable with the cooling fans because they have tendencies to go out balanced. The only good thing about laptops is the fact they were portable. Its also cheaper to get a desktop repairs because its hard to find laptop parts. I still think a desktop can handle more abuse than a laptop. Also I play graphic heavy and memory heavy games and most laptops cant handle them.
    aimayaram likes this.

  26. #26
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Desktops will always be more durable than a lap top simply because of the cooling issues that we've all mentioned on the forum before.

    It won't matter how well you look after it, the smaller fans on a laptop will always give up before the desktop cooling fans will, and I'm not sure that will ever change.

  27. #27
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    Desktops will always be more durable than a lap top simply because of the cooling issues that we've all mentioned on the forum before.

    It won't matter how well you look after it, the smaller fans on a laptop will always give up before the desktop cooling fans will, and I'm not sure that will ever change.
    I agree with you, It is important to remember the time of maintenance, the fan usually problems early is occasionally important to clean to increase the useful life of the laptop.

  28. #28
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    I agree with you, It is important to remember the time of maintenance, the fan usually problems early is occasionally important to clean to increase the useful life of the laptop.
    I also think laptops aren't as durable as desktop computers because, we don't generally carry or move the cpu of a desktop computer, meanwhile a laptop is for mobility which tends to make it have more risk at damages

  29. #29
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Yeah the mobility is one of the biggest risk of a laptop. A bumpy car ride broke the screen of my niece's laptop. A desktop stays on the same table for years of it's existence.

  30. #30
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    I don't think we can blame a laptop in such a situation, lol. Any electronic equipment can go faulty if we use it in a violently shaking environment. Laptop is portable, but it will take care of us only if we take good care of it. We can use laptop as a desktop keeping it at home, but you can never use a desktop as a laptop. I can't imagine working with a desktop in a moving train or car!

    But I think a desktop is easily repairable. In the case of laptop, either a part or full replacement will be the solution most of the times. It is easy to upgrade the desktop keeping in mind the future requirements.
    challengewriter likes this.

  31. #31
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I don't think we can blame a laptop in such a situation, lol. Any electronic equipment can go faulty if we use it in a violently shaking environment. Laptop is portable, but it will take care of us only if we take good care of it. We can use laptop as a desktop keeping it at home, but you can never use a desktop as a laptop. I can't imagine working with a desktop in a moving train or car!

    But I think a desktop is easily repairable. In the case of laptop, either a part or full replacement will be the solution most of the times. It is easy to upgrade the desktop keeping in mind the future requirements.
    Do you intend to use any of them in any specific application?

  32. #32
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    It is also easier to update a desktop. Lets say you want to play an upcoming game but it's graphics requirement is too much for your PC, it is easier to find new graphics cards for an older model of desktop computer. I don't think laptops can offer the same thing.

  33. #33
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    But desktops are needed constant maintenance because accumulate a lot of dust. In contrast, Laptop do not need as much maintenance, it is necessary to pay attention only to the fan that accumulates enough dust and can stop working and cause a sudden rise in temperature. To avoid this it is good to have installed on Desktop / Laptop software like AIDA64, HWMonitor or SpeedFan to check the temperature.
    aimayaram and webworld like this.

  34. #34
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    But desktops are needed constant maintenance because accumulate a lot of dust. In contrast, Laptop do not need as much maintenance, it is necessary to pay attention only to the fan that accumulates enough dust and can stop working and cause a sudden rise in temperature. To avoid this it is good to have installed on Desktop / Laptop software like AIDA64, HWMonitor or SpeedFan to check the temperature.
    My first desktop I got it more than 8 years ago, still works perfectly fine and I have never cleaned it. I guess it's time to take it out for maintenance.

  35. #35
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    My first desktop I got it more than 8 years ago, still works perfectly fine and I have never cleaned it. I guess it's time to take it out for maintenance.
    You are lucky girl! If I were you, I would make a maintenance as soon as possible, because your desktop may have its days numbered.

    Do You store your data in a cloud system like google drive, onedrive or Dropbox? It stores its only data on a computer that has 8 years seems risky.

  36. #36
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    But desktops are needed constant maintenance because accumulate a lot of dust. In contrast, Laptop do not need as much maintenance, it is necessary to pay attention only to the fan that accumulates enough dust and can stop working and cause a sudden rise in temperature. To avoid this it is good to have installed on Desktop / Laptop software like AIDA64, HWMonitor or SpeedFan to check the temperature.
    That is right. As desktops are kept in a place for long time there is high possibility of dust getting accumulated over time. But in the case of a laptop we use it on the go or change the place more often. Then the possibility of a dust accumulation is low in the case of laptops. But laptops can become too hot even if it is a little bit dusty. On the other hand desktop can work for months/years even if a slight dust accumulation happens. We will never know it.

    Checking the temperature at regular intervals is a good suggestion I think as it can show us wrong indications, if any.

  37. #37
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    I totally agree with you. I am using a laptop but it isn't like how I enjoy using my desktop. Desktop is even durable as it stood the test of time as I observed my devices. Desktop is for comfort as you can use it anywhere like you are even in bed. That's why I am planning to buy a new desktop then I will use my desktop for mobility.

  38. #38
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    But desktops are needed constant maintenance because accumulate a lot of dust. In contrast, Laptop do not need as much maintenance, it is necessary to pay attention only to the fan that accumulates enough dust and can stop working and cause a sudden rise in temperature. To avoid this it is good to have installed on Desktop / Laptop software like AIDA64, HWMonitor or SpeedFan to check the temperature.
    A simple fabric is actually enough to protect a desktop from dust. I also rather have something that is easier to repair than something disposable when got broken like a laptop is. It is hard to find laptop parts compared to desktop parts. Also desktops are now more cheaper than laptops. Also for a gamer like me, A laptop is not ideal for gaming.

  39. #39
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cashewfruit_wine View Post
    A simple fabric is actually enough to protect a desktop from dust. I also rather have something that is easier to repair than something disposable when got broken like a laptop is. It is hard to find laptop parts compared to desktop parts. Also desktops are now more cheaper than laptops. Also for a gamer like me, A laptop is not ideal for gaming.
    I agree with your point that finding parts of laptops is quite hard these days as models keep on changing every now and then. Parts of old models are not available in most of the cases. Desktops on the other hand are easy to repair in case of an issue. It is easier to protect desktop from dust, but in case of laptops it would not have been possible at all times as we travel with laptops.

    And the more important thing is that we can get a desktop at a lot more cheap price than laptops. Laptops tend to be pricier than desktops as there is a high demand for laptops.

  40. #40
    Junior Member kenzenith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Desktops are undoubtedly more durable than laptops. Laptops are made for easy computing and light works so their hardware isn't that great compared to that of the desktops, although there are some laptops built for higher processing like the Macbook. The portability of the laptop is the living proof that it's hardware is sacrificed.

    In my office, we use desktops since we are required to go to the office everyday. We only use our laptop when we are required to do work outside the office.

  41. #41
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    But desktops are needed constant maintenance because accumulate a lot of dust. In contrast, Laptop do not need as much maintenance, it is necessary to pay attention only to the fan that accumulates enough dust and can stop working and cause a sudden rise in temperature. To avoid this it is good to have installed on Desktop / Laptop software like AIDA64, HWMonitor or SpeedFan to check the temperature.
    Dust are not really that much big of a threat if you regularly clean your house and if you make a cover made of fabric to cover your desktop. Repairing a laptop is like a financial suicide because it is hard to find replacement parts. A broken desktop is easier to repair than a broken laptop.

  42. #42
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Yes, laptops are more prone to damage than desktops. Its portability just adds to its vulnerability.

    I have seen a new series of laptops from Panasonic named as Toughbook which is meant for rough use. It looks like a laptop with a strong armor around it which gives the image of a hard suitcase. The Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 is able to resist 70 mph winds and 6 inches of blowing rain per hour. You can even drop it from 6 feet and it can withstand the shock upto 26 times! But its cost was quite shocking to me, $3799!!

  43. #43
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    Yes, laptops are more prone to damage than desktops. Its portability just adds to its vulnerability.

    I have seen a new series of laptops from Panasonic named as Toughbook which is meant for rough use. It looks like a laptop with a strong armor around it which gives the image of a hard suitcase. The Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 is able to resist 70 mph winds and 6 inches of blowing rain per hour. You can even drop it from 6 feet and it can withstand the shock upto 26 times! But its cost was quite shocking to me, $3799!!
    Wow! The description just means its name really talks about the product. But wait, it's almost $3,800! Very expensive. But perhaps we will get what we paid for, so does it mean it is really tough and durable.

  44. #44
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Yes, it is said to be really tough and withstand any kind of shocks. It is very much ideal for military personnel and those who work in risky conditions. As I already said it can withstand a fall from 6 ft in closed shutdown condition and a 3 ft fall will not damage it in an open and running position. It can absorb nearly 300 pounds of pressure on its closed lid.

    In performance also it can compete with any models available today. It has first generation 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5-540M processor and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics adapter.

  45. #45
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    Yes, it is said to be really tough and withstand any kind of shocks. It is very much ideal for military personnel and those who work in risky conditions. As I already said it can withstand a fall from 6 ft in closed shutdown condition and a 3 ft fall will not damage it in an open and running position. It can absorb nearly 300 pounds of pressure on its closed lid.

    In performance also it can compete with any models available today. It has first generation 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5-540M processor and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics adapter.
    Wow! That was amazing. I think I need that kind of laptop, or everybody needs it. But the price, hhmmm, gotta save some money to finally purchase it. Or maybe they will lower the price. Still, with that price, it may be worth it. Thanks for sharing this.

  46. #46
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Does Panasonic have other laptops?

  47. #47
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Does Panasonic have other laptops?
    Yeah. There are Panasonic laptops as Sir webworld mentioned. In fact, I had searched them and it exists. And its appearance? It is really tough.

  48. #48
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Does Panasonic have other laptops?
    I've never heard of laptops from Panasonic. After seeing this topic I went to check on the internet and saw that Panasonic laptos has no business in South America.

  49. #49
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    Yeah. There are Panasonic laptops as Sir webworld mentioned. In fact, I had searched them and it exists. And its appearance? It is really tough.
    Well, that is quite intriguing and are they using windows os or they have their own?
    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    I've never heard of laptops from Panasonic. After seeing this topic I went to check on the internet and saw that Panasonic laptos has no business in South America.
    I don't understand what you mean, with your statement.

  50. #50
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Well, that is quite intriguing and are they using windows os or they have their own?

    I don't understand what you mean, with your statement.
    The one that I checked, it runs Windows 7 Professional Edition, but of course, it can be upgraded. I think it's like the usual laptops we use.

  51. #51
    Bronze Member Mihailo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    125

    Default

    I think that computers can live longer than laptops. I have to charge my lap top every three hours, battery can't live forever nor lap top.

    I bought my lap top a month ago and I will send my report when it dies :P
    Joking.

    That is my opinion. Correct me of I am wrong.

  52. #52
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mihailo View Post
    I think that computers can live longer than laptops. I have to charge my lap top every three hours, battery can't live forever nor lap top.

    I bought my lap top a month ago and I will send my report when it dies :P
    Joking.

    That is my opinion. Correct me of I am wrong.
    I think warranty can still cover it. Is it brand new when you purchase it? If it is secondhand, then it is unlikely to return it. But if it is brand new, then it sjould have warranty.

  53. #53
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mihailo View Post
    I think that computers can live longer than laptops. I have to charge my lap top every three hours, battery can't live forever nor lap top.

    I bought my lap top a month ago and I will send my report when it dies :P
    Joking.

    That is my opinion. Correct me of I am wrong.
    I agree with your comment. Poor battery backup has always been a major area of concern for my laptop too. Its battery died with in 1.5 years of use as I use it to access net through mobile broadband in poor network area. Now again if I replace it with a new battery it will not survive for long. In poor network coverage areas, laptop tend to use more battery.

    Now I am thinking of buying a UPS for my laptop. At least a good UPS is an investment and I can use it with other devices too. but a laptop battery could be used with that particular model only. I know portability could be a serious concern for what the laptop is actually meant to be.

  54. #54
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I agree with your comment. Poor battery backup has always been a major area of concern for my laptop too. Its battery died with in 1.5 years of use as I use it to access net through mobile broadband in poor network area. Now again if I replace it with a new battery it will not survive for long. In poor network coverage areas, laptop tend to use more battery.

    Now I am thinking of buying a UPS for my laptop. At least a good UPS is an investment and I can use it with other devices too. but a laptop battery could be used with that particular model only. I know portability could be a serious concern for what the laptop is actually meant to be.
    We have this laptop for a long time, it is still working but of course, since it is an old one, it loads very slow. Oftentimes, it hangs and you just have to restart it to use again. It was irritating as desktop computers don't usually tend to act like that. Also, the battery isn't that working. You have to use it as DC to use the laptop.

  55. #55
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    My laptop's battery is almost dead and doesn't hold power anymore. However, I am yet to buy a UPS either. As the power cuts are quite frequent in our area, it creates a lot of issue. I will go for a UPS soon. Yes, a laptop without battery is no better than a desktop because its basic purpose of portability is defeated then.

    But it is a blessing that at least we can use it through adapter. My earlier laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad) will not let you use it through adapter as it works only through battery. It will not function through DC. I think modern laptops are equipped to function through DC.

  56. #56
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    The one that I checked, it runs Windows 7 Professional Edition, but of course, it can be upgraded. I think it's like the usual laptops we use.
    Okay that's good then, but its quite unpopular since I've never heard of anyone using a Panasonic laptop.

  57. #57
    Bronze Member Mihailo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    125

    Default

    I use Lenovo Thinkpad. It is very bad laptop for gaming and video editing. I haven't seen this laptop too. Buy I will bus Asus or Dell laptop soon! They are the best.

  58. #58
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Okay that's good then, but its quite unpopular since I've never heard of anyone using a Panasonic laptop.
    Maybe you can buy a new one.
    If ever I have money, I will buy a new one knowing it's toughness. Of course, I will check first its reviewe with regards to its features which should also be taken in account.

  59. #59
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    For me Sony make the best laptops although they do tend to be a bit more expensive than the others.

    In the past though I've had a number of different laptops and the Sony ones come out on top in nearly all the areas you'd want.

Similar Threads

  1. laptops for my lab
    By 123anup in forum Laptop
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd March 2011, 06:45 PM
  2. connecting 2 desktops
    By vkwd7 in forum Desktop Computer
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th October 2010, 08:54 PM
  3. Sharing Mtnl Broadband on 2 Desktops
    By vickyinstru2000 in forum MTNL broadband
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 4th September 2009, 09:50 PM
  4. How Durable is TouchScreen technology?
    By Sid in forum General offtopic discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 18th August 2009, 11:55 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th March 2009, 05:10 PM