Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By waqsi

Negative effects of spending too much time with smartphones

  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    215

    Default Negative effects of spending too much time with smartphones

    Smartphones are the most efficient and useful medium of communiction and, its probably the most desired thing for the people worldwide. However, several studies have revealed that most of the people are obsessed with their smartphones, and they spend most of their time using it. But how good is it? Is there any risk involved in using too of your snartphones?
    Well, actually its too harmful and even more than what you think. Using your smartphone for a long time might give you several kind of problems which include; Headache, Increases stress, Illness in your immune system, Increases risk of weakening your eye vision etc.
    So, its quite clear that using smartphone for a long time might cause you one of the problems and you might get ill. I think its use should be made limited to phone calls, SMS, and a little bit of social networking. Spending too much time with it might give you problems.
    So, how much time do you spend with your smartphones per day? If you use it too much, please avoid doing this. God bless!
    webworld likes this.

  2. #2
    Junior Member Melissa Ann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I do not have a smart phone. With that being said I do not think being on any kind of PC, tablet, or laptop for long periods of time is good for your health. Sad to say, but most people are on some sort of device constantly. One thing I can not stand is to see people in the same room or home text or private chat with each other, that's what you got a mouth for use it.

  3. #3
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waqsi View Post
    Smartphones are the most efficient and useful medium of communiction and, its probably the most desired thing for the people worldwide. However, several studies have revealed that most of the people are obsessed with their smartphones, and they spend most of their time using it. But how good is it? Is there any risk involved in using too of your snartphones?
    Well, actually its too harmful and even more than what you think. Using your smartphone for a long time might give you several kind of problems which include; Headache, Increases stress, Illness in your immune system, Increases risk of weakening your eye vision etc.
    So, its quite clear that using smartphone for a long time might cause you one of the problems and you might get ill. I think its use should be made limited to phone calls, SMS, and a little bit of social networking. Spending too much time with it might give you problems.
    So, how much time do you spend with your smartphones per day? If you use it too much, please avoid doing this. God bless!
    I think you got a valid point which requires immediate attention. Nowadays people are just crazy about smarphones and it is somewhat a status symbol in the society. They are ready to do anything to protect their phones like screen protector, leather cover and so on. But you know most of them hardly cares to wear helmets while driving a motorcycle! Handsets are more precious than head!

    Yes, you are right this is going to adversely affect the vision of those who use smartphones continuously. If this continues a major part of the public will be having eye related issues (event partial blindness) at an early age. I think it's high time to stop this.

  4. #4
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    There's no doubt that smartphone use has sky rocketed in recent years and no matter where you go these days, it seems that people have their head buried in their phones.

    While I'm sure what people find to do on them is important to them, at the same time people do have to try and limit their usage as there's no doubt it will have an impact on their vision with continued long term use.

  5. #5
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I think you got a valid point which requires immediate attention. Nowadays people are just crazy about smarphones and it is somewhat a status symbol in the society. They are ready to do anything to protect their phones like screen protector, leather cover and so on. But you know most of them hardly cares to wear helmets while driving a motorcycle! Handsets are more precious than head!

    Yes, you are right this is going to adversely affect the vision of those who use smartphones continuously. If this continues a major part of the public will be having eye related issues (event partial blindness) at an early age. I think it's high time to stop this.
    You've got a strong point as well mate. People in my country don't really care about considering helmets for their safety. In fact, they just use helmets to prevent from getting fined by traffic police and, as soon as they get away with the traffic police, they remove their helmets. I mean they really don't care about wearing helmets that would become as a life saviour for them, sometimes.
    Talking about smartphones, people will only come to realise it's adverse effect only when they will suffer from the above mentioned problems.
    Anyways, I wish everyone gets safe and understand it's importance to prevent any major problem.

  6. #6
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waqsi View Post
    You've got a strong point as well mate. People in my country don't really care about considering helmets for their safety. In fact, they just use helmets to prevent from getting fined by traffic police and, as soon as they get away with the traffic police, they remove their helmets. I mean they really don't care about wearing helmets that would become as a life saviour for them, sometimes.
    Talking about smartphones, people will only come to realise it's adverse effect only when they will suffer from the above mentioned problems.
    Anyways, I wish everyone gets safe and understand it's importance to prevent any major problem.
    You are right it is really worrisome when people take wrong use of helmets which are designed to protect their heads. People are very careful about their smartphones. They spend lot of money in having a screen protector and another cover on top of it to ensure the handset is free from shocks. But they hardly care for the safety of their heads!

    In my area it is a common sight that people (mostly young ones) insert their mobiles phones inside their helmets and keep on talking while driving. They forget the fact that driving is a process which requires their undivided attention and any unforeseen obstacle may need their immediate reaction.

  7. #7
    Junior Member mbuzma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I think most people know this, but they don't care. And it's not just the smartphones that are dangerous, most digital devices can be if you continuously spend too much time with them.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Everything is harmful if you used it excessively not only smartphones. When I am outside and have nothing to do, I play games, surf the web, and check social medias on my mobile. At home, I only use it for calling and texting since I spend 80% of my time on my computer. We have become so dependent on these technologies that we just can't spend a normal day without them. While it's true that smartphones can harm us, we just can't stop using them.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Being on the computer can have the same effect. So can watching tv. Everything can be bad for you if you abuse it. I practically live on my smartphone. I know it's not the best thing, but nothing is good for you these days, so why not live dangerously. lol

  10. #10
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nailah783 View Post
    Being on the computer can have the same effect. So can watching tv. Everything can be bad for you if you abuse it. I practically live on my smartphone. I know it's not the best thing, but nothing is good for you these days, so why not live dangerously. lol
    You are right. Too much of anything is not good. Even though I have a Samsung Galaxy smartphone I hardly use it and instead I use a basic Samsung model. I seldom use my phone to go online. But yes, I am a computer addict. I am member to many forums and social networking sites and spend a lot of time online. I know it is not good to be online most of the time, but I am not able to get rid of this.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    34

    Default

    The smartphone I bought actually came with all these crazy warnings. Put it one and a half centimeters from your body and do not use it when it is low on battery. So I guess these smart phones are really dangerous but who ever listens to these things.
    Come to think of it I have these crazy headaches sometimes.

  12. #12
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    My Niece don't socialize with her parents anymore because of her mobile phone. Well she talks to them by tweeting them. I notice she doesn't know how to naturally interact with people with her smartphone addiction. My niece is not yet a teen BTW. She use to be a very friendly kid but now she is only friendly to people online. She is like having her own world. I saw the negative effects of mobile gadgets because of her.

  13. #13
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Anything used excessively can be harmful but I think a lot is down to the individual to be sensible about.

    If a person spends 24 hours a day on the phone then they're obviously more likely to be more at risk than a person that hardly useses it.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I definitely hear you about being in the same room with an individual and messaging them privately. I can remember when I was younger (before smart phones) it was considered "rude" to whisper to someone, while in the presence of others.
    Smartphones can be looked at in a bunch of different lights. On one hand I can't imagine not having my phone, for even a day. But in the same breath I admire the fact that you're able to survive without one. It's hard for me to even remember what it was like before smartphones took over so many of our lives.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The time we spend on these phones. Boy oh boy. The thing is though, that smart phones do any and everything you can imagine. Imagine telling someone in the 80's that soon you'd be able to put a fully equipped computer in your pocket. Its to the point that we can't go anywhere without them, or do anything without them.
    I myself would place a lot of that blame on social media. Think about it if you take social media out or the equation, you'd get a lot of your time back. Also a huge part of the negativity that is associated with the constant use of smartphones stems from social media.

  15. #15
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    I use my smartphone to read e-books more than anything, the only negative side I can think of, is the fact that I end up sleeping late because I am too engrossed in the novel I am reading, other things on the phone do no interest me as much as my iBooks library. So I think my negative effect is a bit minor right?

  16. #16
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    I use my smartphone to read e-books more than anything, the only negative side I can think of, is the fact that I end up sleeping late because I am too engrossed in the novel I am reading, other things on the phone do no interest me as much as my iBooks library. So I think my negative effect is a bit minor right?
    I don't think that is something related to smartphone. In that case even if you read an offline novel you may get sleepy. It has nothing to do with smartphone. But it is a fact that you may develop eye issues by daily spending too much time on smartphones. I think it is better to use a tablet to read e-books as it will be more relaxing to eyes than using a smartphone. As it got a wider screen, eyes could easily read the alphabets without strain.

    I prefer offline reading than online reading. I never get that much of satisfaction from online reading and it never feels me complete.

  17. #17
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    You brought an interesting question. Yesterday, I was talking to a friend by phone , we were debating matters of Electrical Engineering. Well, after 30 minutes of talking my ear has started hurting. Can I attribute this ? The time that I spent talking to him on the phone without a headset or my phone might be some kind of defect?

  18. #18
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Modern comfort that mobile phones offer is responsible for more everyday use of these. But its overuse can affect your health. Then you know the negative effects of mobile phone for health and safety tips for use. Radiation and electromagnetic waves to the brain. Increases stress levels. Increases the risk of disease in your immune system. Increased risk of chronic pain. Increases the risk of vision problems

  19. #19
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    "Texting Finger" is an injury people who loves to use mobile phones get with excessive use of mobile phones. It is basically a finger injury that causes severe pain that is hard to endure. It is similar to carpal tunnel I think but it is for fingers.

  20. #20
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Radiation effect has been a hot topic of discussion for quite some time now. Even though there is no scientific evidence on its adverse effects on our health conditions, it may cause deadly diseases like cancer.

    It is said that it is harmful to indulge in a long conversatin at a stretch. We should use mobile phones judiciously. Also do not keep the phone anywhere near to our head when it is in the process of connecting the other person. You can bring it near head once it is connected because the radion will be quite low when it is already connected. The best option would be to go hands free on your mobile phones.

  21. #21
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I don't think that is something related to smartphone. In that case even if you read an offline novel you may get sleepy. It has nothing to do with smartphone. But it is a fact that you may develop eye issues by daily spending too much time on smartphones. I think it is better to use a tablet to read e-books as it will be more relaxing to eyes than using a smartphone. As it got a wider screen, eyes could easily read the alphabets without strain.

    I prefer offline reading than online reading. I never get that much of satisfaction from online reading and it never feels me complete.
    I am so used to reading with my phone, I prefer it to using my laptop or tablets, I think it's more portable and I can adjust the light and the size of the words, so it suits my need, I can also, change themes settings, so It's as comfortable as possible and I only sleep if the book is boring and most books I read are purely for entertainment so they are mostly interesting. Thanks for the concern @webworld

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Too much addiction to smartphones can lead to excessive stress on the eyes. It can lead to cervical pain due to undue stress on the neck and the shoulder region. Smartphone addiction can often lead to behavioral changes among people. The individuals seem to get too much involved with the virtual world and lose interest in his real world and relationships.

Similar Threads

  1. Maggie & its effects......!
    By kirankumargb in forum Food
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 5th May 2009, 03:28 PM
  2. Is negative voting/refuse to vote true?
    By Logik in forum News discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th April 2009, 06:01 PM
  3. Spending Too much Time Before The Computer ?
    By ShAdOwCoN in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 21st January 2009, 02:27 PM
  4. Can not enable Effects
    By subra007 in forum Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23rd October 2008, 09:48 PM
  5. How MTU Value Effects Net Speed
    By 9816063641 in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th June 2008, 06:11 PM