1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Question How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router for MTNL broad band !

    Never thought this would be so tough!!!

    anyways here is my problem simply!

    I have MTNL broad band at home and now i want to set up wireless internet access , for which i bought a Wireless router of Linksys WRT54G . I followed everything correctly as per the Wizard CD rom , but it doesnt give me internet access through the wireless router.

    I am sure there are some settings which need to be made at my wireless router end which will ensure that the internet will work ...

    Anyone help would be appreciated....please please please !!!

    Cheers
    smitzonian!

  2. #2
    Guardian Angel
    just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,623
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Cheers Mate!!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hi,

    My adsl modem is working fine when i connect it directly to my pc but when i connect the adsl model to my netgear wrt54g the internet doesnt work.

    He is what i have done.

    1. automatic config - dhcp (other options being static ip...etc)
    2. changed the starting IP to 192.168.0.1 as the mtnl adsl modem is 192.168.1.1
    3. dhcp server enable


    still internet doesnt work. what do i need to change?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Guardian Angel
    just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukapoor View Post
    Hi,

    My adsl modem is working fine when i connect it directly to my pc but when i connect the adsl model to my netgear wrt54g the internet doesnt work.

    He is what i have done.

    1. automatic config - dhcp (other options being static ip...etc)
    2. changed the starting IP to 192.168.0.1 as the mtnl adsl modem is 192.168.1.1
    3. dhcp server enable


    still internet doesnt work. what do i need to change?

    Thanks
    Please try the following:

    a) Completely reset the Netgear Wireless Router
    b) Configure Netgear router with Automatic DHCP
    c) Do not bother changing the router's IP address as yet
    d) Check the status page to see whether you are connected. You should get an IP address for the router such as 192.168.1.3 or something similar
    e) Check whether you are able to surf

    If your able to surf, then go ahead and change the wireless router's IP address.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  6. #6
    Guardian Angel
    just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    p/s to all: I personally prefer the second option.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Thumbs up

    Thanks alot Just4kix

    This helped me alot , the second option clearly made me understand ... however i changed my ip of the router , is that fine ? cause logically my ADSL and my WIFI router both were on the same IP ( 192.168.1.1.) changing the IP address helped immediately...

    Another article which is very helpful is , you must check it out.

    Socrates’s experience: How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router

    I just dont understand , MTNL or WIFI routers dont have detailed steps to explain such settings stuff , judging by the fact that so many people ask the same questions it must be a unversal problem.

    Anyways thanks ....
    smitzonian

  8. #8
    Guardian Angel
    just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitzonian View Post
    Thanks alot Just4kix

    This helped me alot , the second option clearly made me understand ... however i changed my ip of the router , is that fine ? cause logically my ADSL and my WIFI router both were on the same IP ( 192.168.1.1.) changing the IP address helped immediately...

    Another article which is very helpful is , you must check it out.

    Socrates’s experience: How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router

    I just dont understand , MTNL or WIFI routers dont have detailed steps to explain such settings stuff , judging by the fact that so many people ask the same questions it must be a unversal problem.

    Anyways thanks ....
    smitzonian
    You are welcome, smitzonian. Glad to help out.

    You can change the router's address to anything you like. Just remember it - make a note of your settings in a diary/notebook or something. I do. Here is what I listed in my notebook:

    UT-300R2U Settings

    ...IP Address:
    ...Router Administrator Password=

    WAN Settings:
    ...ATM Interface: PVC-0
    ...VPI: 0
    ...VCI: 35
    ...Virtual Circuit: Enabled
    ...WAN Settings: PPPoE/PPPoA
    ...Username:
    ...Password:
    ...Connection Type: PPPoE LLC
    ...MRU: 1492
    ...Authentication: PAP
    ...Obtain DNS Automatically: Enabled
    ...Default Route: Enabled
    ...NAT: Enabled
    ...IGMP: Disabled


    WRT54G Settings

    ...Configuration Mode: Automatic DHCP Enabled
    ...IP Address:
    ...Router Administrator Password=

    Wireless Settings
    ...Wireless Name (SSID)=
    ...Wireless Security=on
    ...Security Mode=WPA
    ...WPA Algorithm=TKIP
    ...Encryption Key=
    ...Wireless Channel=6

  9. #9
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thats a good way to keep record of the all the settings..

    Cheers..
    smitzonian

  10. #10
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitzonian View Post
    Never thought this would be so tough!!!

    anyways here is my problem simply!

    I have MTNL broad band at home and now i want to set up wireless internet access , for which i bought a Wireless router of Linksys WRT54G . I followed everything correctly as per the Wizard CD rom , but it doesnt give me internet access through the wireless router.

    I am sure there are some settings which need to be made at my wireless router end which will ensure that the internet will work ...

    Anyone help would be appreciated....please please please !!!

    Cheers
    smitzonian!
    Hi,
    Try using a cross cable from you ADSL Router (MTNL) to the Uplink Port WRT54G (Check for the port where you have "internet" mentioned. In case this doesnot work, try plugging a straight cable (which comes alongwith the MTNL Router) from your MTNL Router to one of the 4 ports available on WRT54G

  11. #11
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default Thanks for the article

    Hi, First of all I would like to thank you for this informative article. I could not follow the steps for Option 1 since my A-DSL router has been installed for 2 years and I lost the CD and USB cable, when I connect my computer to the ADSL router my internet connection works perfectly, I have verified that my Ethernet connection is configured to Automatic DHCP. When I connect the Enternet cable from ADSL router to Internet port of my Linksys WRT160N and Connect the 1 LAN port of router to the LAN port of my computer, I am able to configure my router to use Automatic DHCP for internet connection and to use DHCP for any computer connected to that router, I cannot access the internet.

  12. #12
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Hey Man!!
    Thank you for your support.

    Your help was great - I was trying since 3 days and your guidelines(actually your blog) helped me lottt and all done just in half an hour.

    Hats off to you.

    Thanks again.
    I wish I could help you some day.

    All the best.
    just4kix
    Guardian Angel

  13. #13
    Guardian Angel
    just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,623

    Default

    Thank you, naturecallings

  14. #14
    Platinum Member
    mickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Naturecallings, hi..

    ke baat hai?? manne ek baat bata,.. je hi ek naam milla tha rakhne ko??

    tu bhi kaamaal ka banda hai,, sabko apne paas bulata hai..

    meri dosti yaad rakhiyo, bhoolna ni manne..
    job takes the child away.

  15. #15
    LEARNER

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,270

    Default

    @mickey
    neengal solluvathu onrum puriyavillai
    Last edited by essbebe; 15th July 2010 at 04:56 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Want to Configure BSNLwi-fi router to Relaince Broad Band
    By ap_1987 in forum Reliance Broadband
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th October 2011, 09:50 PM
  2. How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router for Tataindicom broadband?
    By dipak_kulkarni in forum Tata Indicom broadband
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13th July 2011, 08:33 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th January 2011, 10:48 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17th December 2010, 11:39 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th January 2010, 06:42 PM

Posting Permissions

Log in

Log in
BSNL Broadband Forum Airtel Broadband Forum Reliance Broadband Forum Tikona Broadband Forum MTNL Broadband Forum Tata Broadband Forum
BSNL 3G Forum MTNL 3G Forum Idea 3G Forum Airtel 3G Forum Reliance 3G Forum Vodafone 3G Forum
Airtel Mobile Forum Reliance Mobile Forum BSNL Mobile Forum Idea Mobile Forum Vodafone Mobile Forum Aircel Mobile Forum
Tata Sky Forum Dish TV Forum Reliance DTH Forum Videocon DTH Forum Airtel DTH Forum SUN DTH Forum