Thread: Megaupload web site closed.
- 20th January 2012 #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2007
Megaupload web site closed.
Megaupload web sites closed and owner and others arrested.
Last edited by essbebe; 20th January 2012 at 11:23 PM.
- 21st January 2012 #2
- Join Date
- Feb 2008
Its very sad
USA using finanical muscle power to arrest people on others land
its like arresting taxi driver for dropping a don to airport on a taxi and
arresting post man for delivering anthrax powder containing mail
But brighter side is they did not file case against end users who downloaded pirates stuff,
- 21st January 2012 #3
My dear coolbuddyin, No!
problem is megaupload was on a very terrible blacklist.. and i read articles about it been going to be fkd up soon by Amrikkans because SOPA/PIPA is not coming out. So Amrikka shows first muscle here..
Don't be worried if they also catch torrent websites very soon:Pjob takes the child away.
- 21st January 2012 #4
- Join Date
- Feb 2008
So no more pirated stuff avaiable on net in few years down the line
Good news for many
Bad news for most
I have a small doubt
What exactly amount to Pirating. Watching movie or listening mp3 which was downloaded or
distributing the stuff is actually a crime?
If we store a DVD rip of a movie on PC and own the same DVD ,its not a piracy. ISnt it?
Storing DVD rip without owning DVD is piracy isnt it?
Last edited by coolbuddyin; 21st January 2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
- 21st January 2012 #5
storing dvd rip is piracy because company's source format is dvd and not ripped ones.. you got the rip from some website(torrent) and you dont buy it.. so its piracy...
Megaupload is doing the same by broadcasting the files which are not open source..
And they dont pay to the companies which have intellectual rights over the files there..
Last edited by mickey; 21st January 2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepostjob takes the child away.
- 21st January 2012 #6
- Join Date
- Jan 2012
Its really sad if such websites are banned, They are really good and provide many useful things free of cost. Mega upload was a good site sad to hear about it
- 21st January 2012 #7
- Very first - remember this. When you buy a DVD or BD, you have not purchased the movie. You do not own it. What you have done is, you have purchased the rights to view the movie in the privacy of your home. Your home includes your family members.
- If you watch a movie at home (and perhaps even invite your friends), you are not pirating. The viewing is still a private viewing.
- You can lend the disc to your friend. You must lend the original. This is not piracy. Just as a book, where two people at different locations, cannot read the same book, the same applies here.
- Copying. Now this is a very disputed area. Most people claim that they should be able to copy a disc at least for backup purposes, if not anything else. They say that if they have purchased the original and create a backup but do not give/distribute the backup, they are not committing any offence.
- But according to the MPAA/RIAA/Studios, etc. you cannot create a backup copy also - even for you own use. This is especially true if the disc is copy protected and mosts DVDs/BDs are copy protected. When a disc is copy protected, to create a copy you have to break the copy protection - and that is a crime.
- The rest of the acts are easy to understand:
- you cannot rip a disc and upload this to any server
- you cannot rip the disc and convert the content to other AV formats
- you cannot download the ripped disc or converted formats
- you cannot play the disc at public places
- you cannot rent the disc
We could discuss the topic to greater details.
When a taxi-driver is ferring a criminal, he is not knowingly doing it. If he does, and does not report this to a police, then there is "aiding and abetting".
When a postman delivers a packet of anthax, he does not know that. He is thus not participating in a crime.
However, sites like Megaupload, Rapidshare, etc. know what their sites are being used for. They feign ignorance saying that they are only providing hosting and storage. Sometime ago a site called as eSnips was storage house of songs and videos. They found what users were doing and they did the right thing - while they did not remove the files they disabled downloads. The others could now listen but not download.
Suppose I have a warehouse. I lease it to someone and it is used for illegal activities. I am deemed responsible even if I am not participating in the crimes. It is my responsibility that my property is not used for crimes. On the other hand, if my plot of land that had no barriered access was used by other for farming opium, then I may be able to claim ignorance somehow (even then it will be difficult).
On the other hand, if my car is stolen and that is used by others for criminal activities, then I am not responsible. This has been done against my will.
Megaupload and sites like these are a typical case of "aiding and abetting".
I am sorry but I have no symapthy for the case. I am not in favour of piracy. But my reasons are not what are typically stated such as "every man associated with the movies gets his fair share". That is all bull-crap. I believe that I should have the best quality and the original. And that is the sole reason why I do not download (any more) but buy.
Read this: Anti-piracy crackdown: NZ police raid Megaupload founder’s mansion | Firstpost
... and you will know what I mean ...
With 150 million registered users, about 50 million hits daily and endorsements from music superstars, Megaupload.com was among the world’s biggest file-sharing sites.Police spokesman Grant Ogilvie said the seized cars include a Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe worth more than $400,000 as well as several Mercedes. Two short-barreled shotguns and a number of valuable artworks were also confiscated, he added.Megaupload is considered a “cyberlocker,” in which users can upload and transfer files that are too large to send by email. Such sites can have perfectly legitimate uses. But the Motion Picture Association of America estimated that the vast majority of content being shared on Megaupload was in violation of copyright laws.
The website allowed users to download some content for free, but made money by charging subscriptions to people who wanted access to faster download speeds or extra content. The website also sold advertising.The five-count indictment, which alleges copyright infringement as well as conspiracy to commit money laundering and racketeering, described a site designed specifically to reward users who uploaded pirated content for sharing, and turned a blind eye to requests from copyright holders to remove copyright-protected files.
For instance, users received cash bonuses if they uploaded content popular enough to generate massive numbers of downloads, according to the indictment. Such content was almost always copyright protected, the indictment said.
- 24th January 2012 #8
- Join Date
- Jan 2012
Could any one tell me weather its a crime to watch movies online (streaming live) from sites such as MegaVideo or letmewachthis.com?
- 24th January 2012 #9
most upload sites have stopped movie/US Tv serial downloading links!
fileserve,filesonic,megaupload and filejungle too .
few smaller ones are still giving downloading links.
- 24th January 2012 #10
- By devlevis in forum WindowsReplies: 2Last Post: 23rd April 2012, 02:30 PM
- By shreyasbadas in forum General offtopic discussionsReplies: 2Last Post: 6th April 2012, 11:41 AM
- By chennaiboy in forum BSNL broadbandReplies: 35Last Post: 12th April 2010, 07:24 PM
- By murli in forum MTNL broadbandReplies: 0Last Post: 8th April 2010, 02:28 AM