- 3rd March 2010 #1
- Join Date
- Nov 2009
Chile Earthquake Altered Earth Axis, Shortened Day
Saturday's Chile earthquake was so powerful that it likely shifted an Earth axis and shortened the length of a day, NASA announced Monday.
By speeding up Earth's rotation, the magnitude 8.8 earthquake—the fifth strongest ever recorded, according to the USGS—should have shortened an Earth day by 1.26 millionths of a second, according to new computer-model calculations by geophysicist Richard Gross of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California.
For comparison, the same model estimated that the magnitude 9 Sumatra earthquake in December 2004 shortened the length of a day by 6.8 millionths of a second.
Read full here:
NatGeo News - Earth
- By Admin in forum General offtopic discussionsReplies: 5Last Post: 5th March 2012, 10:02 PM
- By yoursraman in forum Dish tvReplies: 6Last Post: 23rd December 2009, 04:55 PM
- By Traveler in forum TravelReplies: 0Last Post: 27th September 2009, 06:17 AM
- By saurav_k in forum News and Views from the Business WorldReplies: 8Last Post: 5th February 2009, 07:00 PM
- By saurav_k in forum Mobile phone service providersReplies: 8Last Post: 5th February 2009, 07:00 PM