Results 1 to 43 of 43

Antivirus

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    66

    Default Antivirus

    which is best antivirus for protecting the OS..

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quick Heal total security.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Why don't you try Avira AntiVir? It's free and does a pretty good job. If you're going for a paid software, I'd suggest Kaspersky.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    25

    Default

    kasperkey and qickheal is best antivirus

  5. #5
    Junior Member Damien Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    92

    Default

    I really don't think there is a clear winner as far as antivirus software is concerned. Personally, I use AVG, Avast and Panda and I'm very happy with the results. I do recommend them, but even the other recommendations on here are good too. The important thing is that you're vigilant about protecting your computer against viruses.

  6. #6
    Bronze Member Mihailo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    125

    Default

    You can try Avast or Malwarebytes.
    I use Malwarebytes as my main Anti-Virus program. For web protection and cleaning my PC. It's very good program for cleaning viruses. Try it.

  7. #7
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mihailo View Post
    You can try Avast or Malwarebytes.
    I use Malwarebytes as my main Anti-Virus program. For web protection and cleaning my PC. It's very good program for cleaning viruses. Try it.
    I heard a lot about malwarebytes, but yet to use it. I think I would give it a try. Hope it is free for all.

    Currently I use bitdefender which works well in protecting and warning me of harmful sites. Above all it is very light on my system and does not eat my CPU memory. It works silent in the background and you never know it is there working. You will only come to know of it when it suddenly pops up giving you a warning of potentially harmful sites or a virus attack.

  8. #8
    Junior Member mbuzma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I heard a lot about malwarebytes, but yet to use it. I think I would give it a try. Hope it is free for all.

    Currently I use bitdefender which works well in protecting and warning me of harmful sites. Above all it is very light on my system and does not eat my CPU memory. It works silent in the background and you never know it is there working. You will only come to know of it when it suddenly pops up giving you a warning of potentially harmful sites or a virus attack.
    Malwarebytes has both free and a paid pro version. The main difference is that pro version offers real time protection like most antivirus software, while free version doesn't run in the background all the time and operates in "scan on demand mode". While Malwarebytes will get rid of a lot of junk, I'm not sure it's actually a viable alternative to full anti virus software.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    34

    Default

    It depends. For android I use trust go security.
    For my computer I use kaspersky antivirus.

  10. #10
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbuzma View Post
    Malwarebytes has both free and a paid pro version. The main difference is that pro version offers real time protection like most antivirus software, while free version doesn't run in the background all the time and operates in "scan on demand mode". While Malwarebytes will get rid of a lot of junk, I'm not sure it's actually a viable alternative to full anti virus software.
    I downloaded malwarebytes in my computer yesterday. I also used it's scanning feature and post scanning it could not find any major malwares, but there were some potential dangers which it cleared out. I think it is a good application, but the sad part is that only on demand scanning is available for free users. While scanning it dd not delay my computer performance in any manner, it was running smoothly without interrupting the PC.

    I think it is a must for all PCs, a free version is handy for a home user.

  11. #11
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Avira is too complicated for Android. It is better for Windows. 360 security is the best security app for Android devices because it is more lightweight and it doesn't take much memory and battery life. Also it is the only Anti-virus that is able to remove a virus that attacked my Tablet when it was connected to a Windows computer.

  12. #12
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    I'd recommend avast anti virus, I've been a user of it on both Windows, and also Android, and so far it has been great for me. I've never encountered any issues with it, and its a totally free software, which is always nice! Just be careful not to install more than one anti virus software's, as sometimes the softwares see each other as malicious, and try to remove each other, sometimes breaking your computer.

  13. #13
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    360 Total Security has got good points in several reviews over the internet. I recommend it! Moreover, it won the tradicional antivirus like Avast, AVG and Avira. Check it!

  14. #14
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    AVG refuses to be uninstalled, Avira takes a lot of memory and its obsession to be updated is annoying, I mean why don't they just updated secretly. I also hate that Avira always wanted to restart the computer in able to be updated.

  15. #15
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    The last antivirus softwares I used was Avira, AVG and AVAST. But the current antivirus I am using is AVAST. It works well for me and I don't think I will be changing. I also heard from a techy person that AVAST is the best antivirus software so I tried.

  16. #16
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    When it comes to antivirus, there are a lot on the market and all have different pro's and con's. Personally I've never paid for any antivirus as I've often found that the free version does a decent enough job.

    The paid features arent often that useful in my opinion and when you look at some of the antivirus software on the market these days, it can be quite expensive.

  17. #17
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    The last antivirus softwares I used was Avira, AVG and AVAST. But the current antivirus I am using is AVAST. It works well for me and I don't think I will be changing. I also heard from a techy person that AVAST is the best antivirus software so I tried.
    If your system starts acting up, just know it's Avast, when I used it, it reduced my system performance and did not make anything better but worse.

  18. #18
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    When it comes to antivirus, there are a lot on the market and all have different pro's and con's. Personally I've never paid for any antivirus as I've often found that the free version does a decent enough job.

    The paid features arent often that useful in my opinion and when you look at some of the antivirus software on the market these days, it can be quite expensive.
    I agree with you. A free antivirus is more than enough for a home user. May be for an extensive user, he can opt for a paid version. Moreover, nowadays there are free antivirus packages that give real time security. But we will be lacking online help from them. But for a home user his computer operations are quite simple and limited and a free antivirus could do the job nicely.

    As you already said market is flooded with various types of antiviruses and it is really difficult to filter out the most effective one. Even reviews are not helpful as they are also being compromised to influences.

  19. #19
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    I agree with you. A free antivirus is more than enough for a home user. May be for an extensive user, he can opt for a paid version. Moreover, nowadays there are free antivirus packages that give real time security. But we will be lacking online help from them. But for a home user his computer operations are quite simple and limited and a free antivirus could do the job nicely.

    As you already said market is flooded with various types of antiviruses and it is really difficult to filter out the most effective one. Even reviews are not helpful as they are also being compromised to influences.
    To be fair, I haven't been using an anti virus for over a year now in my new PC, and I haven't gotten any malware (not that I know of) and my PC has been fine so far. I know this is risky, however anti virus software's can sometimes become very intrusive, and annoying with notifications, scans which cannot be prevented/stopped and many more annoying things. I think as long as you are a cautious user, and don't download whatever you want, you will be fine. However I might get an antivirus soon jjst to be sure.

  20. #20
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    360 Total Security has got good points in several reviews over the internet. I recommend it! Moreover, it won the tradicional antivirus like Avast, AVG and Avira. Check it!
    360 security is amazing, it updates silently unlike Avira that will put you in pop up and notification hell because it wanted to be manually updated. Avira also annoys me because it wanted the PC to be restarted before it updates.

  21. #21
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    If your system starts acting up, just know it's Avast, when I used it, it reduced my system performance and did not make anything better but worse.
    So far, I didn't have problem with Avast. The same case with Avira. Sad to know it affected your system performance.

  22. #22
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter97 View Post
    To be fair, I haven't been using an anti virus for over a year now in my new PC, and I haven't gotten any malware (not that I know of) and my PC has been fine so far. I know this is risky, however anti virus software's can sometimes become very intrusive, and annoying with notifications, scans which cannot be prevented/stopped and many more annoying things. I think as long as you are a cautious user, and don't download whatever you want, you will be fine. However I might get an antivirus soon jjst to be sure.
    Running a PC with no security can be very dangerous and if you haven't had any issues I'd suggest that's more a case of luck than anything.

    I know what you mean about certain software becoming a nightmare to run due to the scan updates and downloads, but at the end of the day I'd rather be interupted by that than a virus or malware.

  23. #23
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    Running a PC with no security can be very dangerous and if you haven't had any issues I'd suggest that's more a case of luck than anything.

    I know what you mean about certain software becoming a nightmare to run due to the scan updates and downloads, but at the end of the day I'd rather be interupted by that than a virus or malware.
    I agree, and I do realise that it's very risky. However, I don't really download many files from the internet, and if I do, I usually download word documents with study notes from college etc. Which are very unlikely to contain viruses. The second time when I download things, is when I get new games, however steam is virus free, and its a very reliable company.

    I might get am anto virus software though, just to make sure I'm safe.

  24. #24
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter97 View Post
    I agree, and I do realise that it's very risky. However, I don't really download many files from the internet, and if I do, I usually download word documents with study notes from college etc. Which are very unlikely to contain viruses. The second time when I download things, is when I get new games, however steam is virus free, and its a very reliable company.

    I might get am anto virus software though, just to make sure I'm safe.
    I ѕay yoυ go ғor AVG. Yoυ don'т нave тo вe worrιed aвoυт мalιcιoυѕ conтenт ιғ yoυ нardly ever download ѕтυғғ, вυт ιтѕ вeттer тo вe ѕaғe тнan ѕorry.

  25. #25
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    126

    Default

    For me the best antivirus is Panda Cloud Antivirus Free. First because it is free. Second, has requirements that virtually works on any computer in any year. Third, do not consume too many resources, therefore allowing you to work with all the power of the computer. Fourth, working in the cloud, it requires no annoying updates of databases, so if you find a suspicious file, the antivirus uploads it to a database analyzes it, and returns the results to the user on the source and dangerous file. I have it in all my computers and it works pretty well, it has never failed.

  26. #26
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Is there a way to stop an anti-virus from being a start up program? I want to use an anti virus when I needed some scanning. Most Anti-virus slows down pc when they were start up.

  27. #27
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cashewfruit_wine View Post
    Is there a way to stop an anti-virus from being a start up program? I want to use an anti virus when I needed some scanning. Most Anti-virus slows down pc when they were start up.
    Unfortunately, most antivirus I knew today were all start-up. Not sure of the others that I haven't used though. To be honest, Ibnever thought antivirus slows down the PC. If it slows down the PC, it can possibly slow down mobile phones too.

  28. #28
    Junior Member kenzenith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cashewfruit_wine View Post
    360 security is amazing, it updates silently unlike Avira that will put you in pop up and notification hell because it wanted to be manually updated. Avira also annoys me because it wanted the PC to be restarted before it updates.
    I also heard good reviews about 360 Security but I don't know how to download it. Is it a freeware or you need to pay for it? I'm currently using the free Avast antivirus which I got when I bought my laptop? It is really good as it keeps my laptop secured from viruses and worms. What I don't really like about it is you need to register it again after some time of using it. I wish I won't have to register it every month or so but since this is already free, I'm not in the right place to complain.

  29. #29
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    360 security us free to download and I've used it for quite a while now without any problems.

    The latest update though does seem to have a lot more advertising in it than it used to and while that doesn't affect the performance, it does bloat the amount of memory it takes up so that could be an issue for some.

  30. #30
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    360 security us free to download and I've used it for quite a while now without any problems.

    The latest update though does seem to have a lot more advertising in it than it used to and while that doesn't affect the performance, it does bloat the amount of memory it takes up so that could be an issue for some.
    Thanks for letting us know. Honestly, I don't also know how to download it unless it's in my smartphone. I first learned about that antivirus application in Android phone as I saw a lot of people uses it, though I never tried using it.

  31. #31
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    Thanks for letting us know. Honestly, I don't also know how to download it unless it's in my smartphone. I first learned about that antivirus application in Android phone as I saw a lot of people uses it, though I never tried using it.
    Hmm, should I get antivirus for my Samsung, it;s a pretty old version, it seems to be working fine and all, so it didn't cross my mind to get one, but now that y'all talking about it, I wonder if it would make my phone load a bit faster and stop hanging?

  32. #32
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Hmm, should I get antivirus for my Samsung, it;s a pretty old version, it seems to be working fine and all, so it didn't cross my mind to get one, but now that y'all talking about it, I wonder if it would make my phone load a bit faster and stop hanging?
    Not really sure as I haven't used it yet. Some friends say it's okay. My phone has pre-installed AVG and it is working fine for me.

  33. #33
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ipol12 View Post
    Not really sure as I haven't used it yet. Some friends say it's okay. My phone has pre-installed AVG and it is working fine for me.
    I want to dump this Samsung its quite horrible and too slow, plus the battery keeps on imploding and don't last at all, I'm frustrated.

  34. #34
    Bronze Member Peter97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    I ѕay yoυ go ғor AVG. Yoυ don'т нave тo вe worrιed aвoυт мalιcιoυѕ conтenт ιғ yoυ нardly ever download ѕтυғғ, вυт ιтѕ вeттer тo вe ѕaғe тнan ѕorry.
    I totally agree, I might get an anti virus software very soon. It's just that they are usually very intrusive, and I heard that if you download 2 anti virus software's, they try to remove each other, and flag each other as malicious content, and can break your PC.

  35. #35
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    I don't recommend AVG because there are lots of viruses it can't detect. It is also annoying because it slows down my PC because it is too aggressive of an anti-virus that you won't be able to access many of your favorite websites. The most annoying thing about it, it is impossible to uninstall. I had a hard time to uninstall this software in the time I don't want it anymore.

  36. #36
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cashewfruit_wine View Post
    I don't recommend AVG because there are lots of viruses it can't detect. It is also annoying because it slows down my PC because it is too aggressive of an anti-virus that you won't be able to access many of your favorite websites. The most annoying thing about it, it is impossible to uninstall. I had a hard time to uninstall this software in the time I don't want it anymore.
    I don't have any of the problems you just mentioned and I always can my PC and receive no threats but it does tell me when it detects a virus and removes it immediately, my of runs faster maybe because I paid for mine but it is absolute perfect for me.

    Sent from my GT-S7582 using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    Bronze Member Mihailo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Maybe Avast is good antivirus but, you don't need it. If you are watching while downloading files, you will be safe. Don't download torrents and .exe files.

  38. #38
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Well in my honest and personal opinion, one of the best antivirus that you can have is AVG AntiVirus Free Edition. It's simple clean and light. Of course you can have other free antivirus that are at the same level as this one. I can send you a link with some lab tests regarding this matter. There are some really good indepent lab testing companies that have been doing a great job the past few years!

    Good luck finding the best option for you and your PC, come by and tell us about your experience! Sometimes what is best for ones isn't the best for others!

  39. #39
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post
    Well in my honest and personal opinion, one of the best antivirus that you can have is AVG AntiVirus Free Edition. It's simple clean and light. Of course you can have other free antivirus that are at the same level as this one. I can send you a link with some lab tests regarding this matter. There are some really good indepent lab testing companies that have been doing a great job the past few years!

    Good luck finding the best option for you and your PC, come by and tell us about your experience! Sometimes what is best for ones isn't the best for others!
    I second you on that, and I am sure most of the comments are made on old versions of avg, not the new and improved versions.

  40. #40
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Many of the big names in antivirus software offer free versions, but they're not always obvious when you visit their website as they'd prefer you to pay for a more comprehensive security suite. Here' our Panda Free Antivirus 2016 review which you can get from Panda's website.

    Panda has revamped the look of its antivirus software and this goes for the free product as well as the paid-for ones. The main screen is a modern design with tiles for scan statistics, a link to the dashboard, USB protection and process monitoring.

  41. #41
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hurtadoluisalex View Post
    Many of the big names in antivirus software offer free versions, but they're not always obvious when you visit their website as they'd prefer you to pay for a more comprehensive security suite. Here' our Panda Free Antivirus 2016 review which you can get from Panda's website.

    Panda has revamped the look of its antivirus software and this goes for the free product as well as the paid-for ones. The main screen is a modern design with tiles for scan statistics, a link to the dashboard, USB protection and process monitoring.
    Does it have a portable antivirus for flash drives?

  42. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I am using kaspersky and I have never encountered any problem so far. If you want to use a free antivirus, I think Panda Cloud is good

  43. #43
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinaya View Post
    I am using kaspersky and I have never encountered any problem so far. If you want to use a free antivirus, I think Panda Cloud is good
    I've heard that kasperksy is good and i have seen a lot of people using it, but now I am planning to get a portable antivirus software, that will be installed on my flash in order to protect it, which one would you recommend?

Similar Threads

  1. Best antivirus
    By Gaurav Rao in forum Computer Security
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 3rd January 2016, 12:57 PM
  2. Top 10 Antivirus
    By gaggan4392 in forum Software News, Previews and Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd January 2016, 12:55 PM
  3. K7 Antivirus for Rs.600 Only.
    By karnna1 in forum Computer Security
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th June 2009, 02:36 PM
  4. antivirus with firewall, pls tell where i can get
    By meetdilip in forum Computer Security
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th March 2009, 07:33 PM
  5. Best antivirus to use ??
    By daemonoid in forum Computer Security
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 28th January 2009, 09:08 PM