Results 1 to 41 of 41
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bluegreen
  • 1 Post By Rubie
  • 1 Post By Cashewfruit_wine

Larger vs. Small Mobile

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default Larger vs. Small Mobile

    Way back, we are contented to the small sized type of Mobile phones but as innovation develops new mobile has created. Along with the development the endorsements of different types of Large-sized mobile are issued. And up until now the more recent the mobile is, we cannot ignore the fact the the bigger it shows. But is it really important to have a bigger size mobile than smaller ones. How does large cellphones take part in the development? Does really size matters?

  2. #2
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    It depends on your requirements, I think. Personally I would not prefer a large phone which do not fit in my pocket. Moreover, usually I don't use my mobile for net surfing as it gives a headache to me. But it is unavoidable in certain situations. I prefer using a laptop for Internet use.

    It is very difficult to carry large mobile, especially when you are traveling. I feel like in chains while carrying my smart phone which got a large screen. A compact model on the other hand is easy to carry. Most of the compact models are durable than smart phones and withstand any kind of shock, hence they are ideal for rough use.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    You're perfectly right @webworld, carrying a big mobile is uncomfortable. In fact we only use mobile phones for communication and not for internet use. So it is preferable to have a mobile to be small that only allow features that enables us to communicate through calls. Internet can actually be done on laptop or even in tablet. But there are some people who prefer having larger which could allow an all in one process, such as communicating, browsing and et chetera. But as what webworld said, it depends on the person using the phone.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    A phone should be capable of being held comfortably in your palm. So phone size depends on your own physical structure also. A 6 inch phone may be quite ok for someone who is 6 1/2 ft tall, with proportionate hands, but would be very uncomfortable for someone who is around 5 ft tall
    Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, Consciousness.

  5. #5
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panchabhut View Post
    A phone should be capable of being held comfortably in your palm. So phone size depends on your own physical structure also. A 6 inch phone may be quite ok for someone who is 6 1/2 ft tall, with proportionate hands, but would be very uncomfortable for someone who is around 5 ft tall
    That is really a nice point. I too think it has something to do with the physique of the person using the phone. A phone which is big for some persons may be small for some other group of people. I think people give importance to its looks and style too. They generally avoid fatty mobile handsets and look for sleek models. That is why there is always a competition to make the phone as thin as possible. Just to suit different tastes of customers now phones are available in various colors too which you can practically change everyday.

  6. #6
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    The trend certainly does seem to be that mobile devices are turning into miniature tablets, and while this might be good news for some, I think it's important that manufacturers also realise that not everyone wants a large screen device, and continue giving people the option of both.

  7. #7
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    142

    Default

    I prefer small mobile phones for sure. The bigger they are the more sofisticated they are, the more probability of malfunctioning they have and the less resistant they are. If I want a multimedia portable device I can have a tablet. So having a 5,5inch phone is a waste in my opinion. Generally they don't last longer than one year, and that's a waste of money. You can buy a smaller one and it will be much more resistant and it'll last for years, all the money you would spend on buying new smartphones over these years you can spend it on buying a tablet and carrying it with you so you can use it every time you need to access the internet for example!

    But of course that there are people that use their smartphones because of their work and surely need them, but still....
    webworld likes this.

  8. #8
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Absolutely right. The main issue with large phones is lack of portability and storage. Most of the time you have to keep it in your hand as they do not fit in your pockets. In that case there are high chances of damage by falling or knocking down. Moreover, I believe our hands should be free all the time. Even for smooth walking our body needs the help of hand movements and our body is designed like that. Large phones are always prone to damage than compact models.

    And you know large high tech phones are more likely to be stolen ! When you get tired of holding it in your hands you will keep it somewhere. And nowadays even a thief would be indifferent towards a small phone!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    The trend certainly does seem to be that mobile devices are turning into miniature tablets, and while this might be good news for some, I think it's important that manufacturers also realise that not everyone wants a large screen device, and continue giving people the option of both.
    Yeah, you seem to have a good input too. Well, we don't really know what are the plans of mobile phone manufacturer and how big will their invention would look like in the future. One thing is for sure, the fact that new innovation of mobile phones became bigger and bigger. And because some people wanted to follow what is in trend, so they purchased it not even considering comfortability of usage. But it really depends on the person using it.

  10. #10
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubie View Post
    Yeah, you seem to have a good input too. Well, we don't really know what are the plans of mobile phone manufacturer and how big will their invention would look like in the future. One thing is for sure, the fact that new innovation of mobile phones became bigger and bigger. And because some people wanted to follow what is in trend, so they purchased it not even considering comfortability of usage. But it really depends on the person using it.
    You said it right. it really depends on the taste of the person who is using it. People are more inclined to use latest innovations in technology and sometimes size doesn't matter for them.

    I think the foldable phones from Samsung pave the way for a a series of such phones in near future where we don't have to compromise on size. Think of a smartphone with a very big screen that can fit in our pocket by folding it multiple times. I have seen such phones only in Starwars series and James Bond movies. I think it can be a reality in near future. There will be competition of foldable phones with new features, jut like a simple foldable umbrella.

  11. #11
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    I'm yet to be convinced by the foldable phone, and until I get to try one out myself I'll leave commenting on it, good or bad.

    In theory it's a good idea, I'm just not sure how it will hold up in actual every day use and conditions so it will certainly be interesting to find out.

  12. #12
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    215

    Default

    To be honest, I just hate tablets as those are very inconvenient to use. I would always prefer a compact sized mobile instead of a big screen mobile. I have used a galaxy note N7000 in the past, and I was very uncomfortable using it. Picking up a call and speaking on it was a pain, as my hands are too small. :P Anyways, it depends on one's choice what he prefers, big sized phones are in trend now a days.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Tablets does not provide the comfort given by a small sized mobile devices. I don't even prefer using tablet as communication device, either. For some instance, I just used tablet in browsing the internet and watching videos. The preference on small devices is the major choice for me in terms of communication.
    waqsi likes this.

  14. #14
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    215

    Default

    @Rubie Youre right! The use of tablet is only limited to watching movies, surfing web, gaming etc. For communication, a compact sized mobile is best suited. I prefer to use a mobile whose screen size should not be more than 4.5" or maximum 5"'. I hate those 6 incher phablets launched in recent times, like Motorola Nexus 6.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Tablet is not designed for mobile communication anyway. I think the basic purpose of it is simply entertainment for the user. Since we have devices intended for calling, sending MMS and SMS, then tablet must not be used as an alternative considering its size.

  16. #16
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    I think a lot depends on the specification of the tablet in question. I can use Skype on my tablet and that works just fine, so as a method of communication in that way they can work.

    Tablets are just made for convenience though rather than for anything else. Light browsing as opposed to downloading content and heavy duty work.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Well, I feel sorry for myself of not considering messaging app as a communication platforms. As what @pwarbi mentioned, it depends on the tablet specification. Since internet can be present in Tablet, then Messaging Application can also be applied, so communication takes its place. However, communication limits to chatting and video conferencing which is, as a matter a fact, a contentment for a conversation to have. But considering other messaging task, like texting, calling, Tablet is too large to use. In a way convenience of using a tablet depends on what specific task is to be done.

  18. #18
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Theres also the phablet don't forget that are becoming more and more popular these days. You get all the same uses you can get on a standard smartphone, but it's a harder screen also lets you use it as a tablet as well.

    I've never used one and don't intend to as I think they're slightly too big to carry around but that's just my opinion, and for some they can be a good compromise.

  19. #19
    Junior Member Melissa Ann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I think size of phone depends on the user. Myself I prefer a smaller phone. Then again I am very rarely on the internet on my phone, I use my laptop for internet, my phone is mostly for voice calls and texting. Someone who uses internet on the phone regularly may require a larger phone. So as far as I'm concerned I think it is user preference and what the phone is going to be used for.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    208

    Default

    As what have been mentioning on the previous posts, you are definitely correct @Melissa Ann. Having a small-sized device tend to use with ease. In terms of communication, a smaller one deserves to be selected for much secure handling. In terms of mobility, smaller devices are not difficult to carry, you can even place it on you pocket, if desired.

  21. #21
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    I've always gone for a mid sized device, as I don't play games and just use it for general web browsing more than anything.

    I think whichever size device you chose, it's always just a matter of getting used to it, and hopeing it fits your requirements.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Larger screen size means less battery life. It also usually means a very detailed screen when speaking of name brand companies such as samsung. Bigger phones tend to have better hardware as well since more space is available to implement features.

  23. #23
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btalivny View Post
    Larger screen size means less battery life. It also usually means a very detailed screen when speaking of name brand companies such as samsung. Bigger phones tend to have better hardware as well since more space is available to implement features.
    Yes, larger screen size means good visibility and features. But if you consider a gadget which is to be used as a mobile phone, I think a compact model would be nice. A handset with a wide screen is very difficult to handle in day to day life and it is prone to damage. The larger the screen size, the higher is the possibility of damage and as you already mentioned the battery life will not be very good which should be the essential feature for a good mobile phone.

    I will not be comfortable with a big handset with very large screen in hand at all times. If you keep it on your desk at work, there is a high possibility of theft also, so, a compact phone would be handy in all respects.

  24. #24
    Silver Member pwarbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    488

    Default

    The mobile market seems to have come full circle and a few years ago the trend was to have a mobile that was small, but these days, I'm assuming because of the range of apps available and what you can do on the devices these days, screen size as become a bigger issue so the tendency now is to want a bigger, more visible screen.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    24

    Default

    If you use your mobile for more than just talking, then bigger is screen is better. Personally, I play games and watch videos in my mobile, and I really like to have a big screen that enhances my experience of playing or watching.

  26. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Larger the screen, better the experience. But that experience comes with some difficulties such as less battery life, difficult to carry and also difficult to talk (in case 7" screens). As for smaller screens, even though many features are available, it's difficult to use (in case of samsung grand duos). As it comes, based on the person's requirement both are good in their own perspectives.

  27. #27
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    The large screen smartphones are a reality and are increasingly becoming a standard among new end devices, so that today are hardly released viewers with high-end devices measuring less than 5 inches. Although this is not a problem for most users, there is still a fair amount of people who do not like big and clumsy mobile and prefer smaller models for everyday use. Check it list, good phones with small screen:

    Nokia Lumia 635
    Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
    Samsung Galaxy Alpha
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6

  28. #28
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinisouz View Post
    The large screen smartphones are a reality and are increasingly becoming a standard among new end devices, so that today are hardly released viewers with high-end devices measuring less than 5 inches. Although this is not a problem for most users, there is still a fair amount of people who do not like big and clumsy mobile and prefer smaller models for everyday use. Check it list, good phones with small screen:

    Nokia Lumia 635
    Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
    Samsung Galaxy Alpha
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 6
    Thanks for the list, really useful for those looking for a new compact model. I think you are right, people are ready to sacrifice their comfort level for a big screen in hand. It is just like a laptop on the go. It becomes even popular with applications like WhatsApp and Facebook where users can comfortably interact with others through a big screen. Smartphones are more than just a communication device now. But I think for a person who travels a lot, these type of devices will not be handy. I think with the advent of advanced foldable phones, it will enter into a new level.

  29. #29
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    Thanks for the list, really useful for those looking for a new compact model. I think you are right, people are ready to sacrifice their comfort level for a big screen in hand. It is just like a laptop on the go. It becomes even popular with applications like WhatsApp and Facebook where users can comfortably interact with others through a big screen. Smartphones are more than just a communication device now. But I think for a person who travels a lot, these type of devices will not be handy. I think with the advent of advanced foldable phones, it will enter into a new level.
    It all depends on the person's style. Today there phones for all styles and sizes.

  30. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I am more in the middle of choosing a larger or smaller phone. On one hand a smaller phone fits in your pocket but can be hard to control, look up things or send texts. Though a larger phone may be harder to fit into your pocket would be easier to handle. These are two comparisons of two different size of phones.

  31. #31
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    That is right something in the midway between a small and large mobile could be worthwhile to try. If it is too small, will be very difficult to operate and if it is too big less portability will be there. I think moderate phones are available inthe market which can fit into the pocket and at the same time user friendly too. I think with the advent of foldable phones by Samsung, there could be a revolution in the size of mobile phones.

    I am eagerly waiting for the foldable model whcih is scheduled to launch in January 2016, that is next month.

  32. #32
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    That is right something in the midway between a small and large mobile could be worthwhile to try. If it is too small, will be very difficult to operate and if it is too big less portability will be there. I think moderate phones are available inthe market which can fit into the pocket and at the same time user friendly too. I think with the advent of foldable phones by Samsung, there could be a revolution in the size of mobile phones.

    I am eagerly waiting for the foldable model whcih is scheduled to launch in January 2016, that is next month.
    Please could you enlighten me a bit about the foldable phone, it sounds very intriguing.

  33. #33
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    Please could you enlighten me a bit about the foldable phone, it sounds very intriguing.
    As the name suggests it is a phone which you can fold into half with out interrupting the display. That means when you unfold it you will get a perfect single display screen. That means you can just use it as a purse, just fold it and keep in the pocket. I am sure in future we can see models which could be folded several times and you can have a bigger screen when you unfold it. So, the bigger screen size will not be a worry in traveling anymore.

    Samsung made this possible through the little valley that the hinge creates. Anyway, we will be able to see it in physically by next month.

  34. #34
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    There is a thing to consider, there are phones with large screens, but a small body. For example: LG G3 has 5.5 inches, but its screen occupies 75.3% screen-to-body ratio.In contrast, there are phones with small screen, but a large body.

  35. #35
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    I prefer a larger one because it is much more comfortable in the eyes to read an article with larger text and a watch a video with a larger resolution. Watching a movie in mobile is also much more fun with a larger screen.
    Last edited by SmoothVibes; 10th December 2015 at 02:05 PM.
    vinisouz likes this.

  36. #36
    Silver Member challengewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webworld View Post
    As the name suggests it is a phone which you can fold into half with out interrupting the display. That means when you unfold it you will get a perfect single display screen. That means you can just use it as a purse, just fold it and keep in the pocket. I am sure in future we can see models which could be folded several times and you can have a bigger screen when you unfold it. So, the bigger screen size will not be a worry in traveling anymore.

    Samsung made this possible through the little valley that the hinge creates. Anyway, we will be able to see it in physically by next month.
    I wonder how that would work out, won't the phone be more susceptible to being crushed? I will be looking forward to your post when it is released, since you're very informed about all this tech savy news and updates

  37. #37
    Silver Member vinisouz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cashewfruit_wine View Post
    I prefer a larger one because it is much more comfortable in the yes to read an article with larger text and a watch a video with a larger resolution. Watching a movie in mobile is also much more fun with a larger screen.
    I agree with you, When I had a experience with a phone with 5 inches display, I loved! From now on, I weird when I use a 4-inch phone or less.

  38. #38
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by challengewriter View Post
    I wonder how that would work out, won't the phone be more susceptible to being crushed? I will be looking forward to your post when it is released, since you're very informed about all this tech savy news and updates
    Sure, you can see the image on net. It is just like a diary with a single fold. I think as it's first of this kind it only got a single fold, may be Samsung will come out with models which could be folded multiple times. I don't think durability will be an issue as long as there is no problem with screen performance. Hope we can have good phone jackets to protect it from shocks due to falling or unforseen accidents.

    I think it will be a costly phone, so it will be mainly targeted for high income class. May be they will come up a miniature versions once this becomes a hit. I am sure competitors won't sit idle and they will come up cheap versions of this model.

  39. #39
    Junior Member Renren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    45

    Default

    For me, I think I will always consider the functionality of the phone. I wouldn't care about the size of the phone as long as it provides what I need and it can meet my expectations. But sometimes you are right the size of the phone matters because having a large phone is uncomfortable sometimes because you cannot put it in your pocket and you always need to hold on it which makes it uncomfortable or sometimes you need to bring an extra bag where you can put it.

  40. #40
    Gold Member webworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    794

    Default

    I still believe that the size of a phone really affects its portability which is an important factor in mobile phones. Large phones seem to be less portable as it becomes very difficult to carry them when we travel. I think if it affects portability of a mobile device the basic purpose is defeated. Then it is better to have a laptop or tablet in place of a smartphone.

    Anything that fit into our pocket can serve the purpose. I think nowadays we have better models with great features without compromising on the size of the handsets. Technology is changing very fast and manufacturers are able to develop very small devices with great features indeed.

  41. #41
    Silver Member Cashewfruit_wine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    437

    Default

    I remember during the early 2000's smaller phones became popular because they were more compact than those 90's cellphones. The smaller your phone, the cooler you are. In the Age of smartphones, We wanted the phones to have large screens so we can high definition images better. I know some people who uses an Ipad like a cellphone.

Similar Threads

  1. Small ISP's in Tamilnadu
    By wifienthu in forum Broadband Internet Service Providers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th October 2009, 02:40 PM
  2. Just need a small help!!!!!!!
    By coolvaibh2009 in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th August 2009, 02:42 PM
  3. Small Puzzle!
    By Dragon in forum General offtopic discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10th July 2009, 12:45 PM
  4. small help needed
    By mumpapa in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th February 2009, 03:23 PM
  5. Small Help....
    By carbon in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th May 2008, 07:52 PM