Results 1 to 11 of 11

A seperate thread for deletion, ban acknowledgment?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    44

    Default A seperate thread for deletion, ban acknowledgment?

    Why not start a separate thread dedicated for acknowledging deletion of threads, posts or ban of members? I see there are different topics for that.

    If you are willing to accept my suggestion, then it would be better if the thread is stickied in this category. So that whenever people find their post missing, they can check over it there.

  2. #2
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    The idea is not bad but:

    - we generally do not delete posts. If there is objectionable text in the post we edit the post and put something like "*** content removed ***" in the post.
    - since the content is objectionable in the view of the administrator/moderators, it will defeat the purpose to put it somewhere else
    - when some users report a post, a report thread is automatically in "Suggestions and Complaints"

    I am open to the idea of putting a list of banned people and reasons for ban in an thread but it will be difficult to find reasons for some old members. Banning a member is a severe step that is taken in the most dire and unfortunate circumstances.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    The idea is not bad but:

    - we generally do not delete posts. If there is objectionable text in the post we edit the post and put something like "*** content removed ***" in the post.
    - since the content is objectionable in the view of the administrator/moderators, it will defeat the purpose to put it somewhere else
    - when some users report a post, a report thread is automatically in "Suggestions and Complaints"

    I am open to the idea of putting a list of banned people and reasons for ban in an thread but it will be difficult to find reasons for some old members. Banning a member is a severe step that is taken in the most dire and unfortunate circumstances.
    Yes, I have seen mods and admins editing posts instead of deleting them. But my Sardar Jokes thread is missing and I don't see a thread regarding it. And I thought it would be easy if there is a single thread for all such details so that the user need not go and search all over the suggestion and complaints thread.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    I think we really don't need any such thread coz it already comes in New Post Notification and shows under Suggestions and Complains as Post/ Thread reported so i think we really don't need any dedicated Thread for this

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothvibes View Post
    I think we really don't need any such thread coz it already comes in New Post Notification and shows under Suggestions and Complains as Post/ Thread reported so i think we really don't need any dedicated Thread for this
    Well, let me state it again.

    I know, as soon as you delete a topic, you start a topic about it in this category. But the topic titles looks like 'Reported post by xyz'. How will one identify if that reported post is talking about their own post? For that, they need to visit every topic with such title.

    I did so. My sardar jokes thread was missing. I had few more sardar jokes to post and I thought I can post it in my old topic itself. So when I searched for it, I found that the topic is missing. So still I couldn't find anything related to that topic.

    I am stressing that I need my topic back. I have insulted a community and so some of the admin or Mod would have deleted it. I am not complaining on that. But this made me to give out this suggestion. Why not have a single thread for all such delete and ban things instead of seperate threads. Just a suggestion.

  6. #6
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    In another forum where I was a member, all reported posts used to go into one single thread. This was automatic and instantaneous.

    I do not know whether it is a standard feature in vBulletin that puts reported posts as separate threads or into a single merged thread. If it is not a standard feature then that other forum must have put in a mod (program) to do this stuff (that other forum runs on phpBB).

    This is important. Because I am sure no admin/moderator would like to keep track of reported posts and manually merge them.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    ShAdOwCoN
    Guest

    Post

    Hi kamalian,

    My apologizes to you, for flagging your Sardar jokes and having it deleted !..... It seemed that your jokes were read by a guy from that community .... He seemed to have felt really insulted by it and also by the replies to that thread ....he used mildly violent language and posted a very angry reply .....So sensing trouble i flagged the thread ... i know you never meant to hurt anybody ....but it does seem to effect people from that community .. so best not to take any risks .... Continue to post non-Sardar jokes looking forward to it

  8. #8
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kamalian View Post
    Yes, I have seen mods and admins editing posts instead of deleting them. But my Sardar Jokes thread is missing and I don't see a thread regarding it. And I thought it would be easy if there is a single thread for all such details so that the user need not go and search all over the suggestion and complaints thread.
    I deleted that thread as someone in that thread took that plain joke otherwise and I guess there was no other way to pacify that member but to delete that thread

    I belong to a sikh family and I didint find it offensive but as you all know every one has their own perspective and every one thinks differently and to be honest its impossible to keep everyone happy ... in the process of trying to keep a particular group happy there are times when some one else might get offended and I try to take the best route possible.. I am sure you were not happy with the deletion of that thread but tommorow for example if some one posts a joke or a post which might hurt your sentiments ... I wont think twice before deleting that thread either.

    I hope you would appreciate the fact that there was no heated argument or anything after deletion of that thread.

    For you I have a big APPOLOGY from my side

    I hope that episode will be forgotten very soon and we can all live like a happy family again

  9. #9
    Platinum Member strider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Singh is Kinng!! Anyone, haha!!
    Munni badnaam hui, darling tere liye
    Le zandu balm hui, darling tere liye

  10. #10
    Gold Member Alexina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    642

    Default

    me agree relton, singh really is king!

  11. #11
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kamalian View Post
    I know, as soon as you delete a topic, you start a topic about it in this category. But the topic titles looks like 'Reported post by xyz'. How will one identify if that reported post is talking about their own post? For that, they need to visit every topic with such title.
    why do we need to write or open such thread which needs to be delted, its better not to write such things know.

    I understand admin never took that seriously but we should not laugh on any community like this know and one or two jokes in common jokes can do but opening a special thread for sardar jokes..

Similar Threads

  1. How to seperate phone and modem
    By bharath93 in forum Broadband How to
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th October 2012, 01:23 PM
  2. ADSL 2+ weblogin to seperate wifi connection
    By Jumbo in forum Reliance Broadband
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd November 2010, 08:21 PM
  3. seperate phone line for 500c.???
    By mearyan007 in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st August 2009, 10:30 AM
  4. System Restore files - deletion
    By essbebe in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20th July 2009, 01:59 AM
  5. A Seperate Section for Broadband news and views
    By xwhyz in forum Suggestions and Complaints
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29th January 2008, 12:17 PM