Results 1 to 26 of 26
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By just4kix

HD Channels on Sun Direct DTH

  1. #1
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,510

    Default HD Channels on Sun Direct DTH

    India will soon get its first HD channel broadcast from Sun Direct DTH company.

    The services will be launched for 5 channels namely Hindi GEC, Tamil GEC, English Movies, Kids, Educational and Tamil/Telugu Movies in India.

    For offering HD channels SUN has tied up with Samsung.

    SUN was running trials since April this year is what I read so some of you who already use SUN dth must have viewed them already.

    I have read this news at many sources but didnt find any details on what would be the resolution for these channels.


    Do most of you have HD tv's?

  2. #2
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,510

    Default

    SUN DTH is more popular in Southern states because they offer a lot of channels in South Indian languages but it would be safe to say that SUN has more subscribers then the likes of Airtel DTH and Videocon D2H and is catching up really fast across the country.

    I have never had a chance to know much about sun dth offerings but if they start Discovery and National geographic as well in HD then I would switch to SUN DTH

    Does anyone know if they have plans to do that?

  3. #3
    Platinum Member talktoanil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post


    Do most of you have HD tv's?
    No. And i think very few people here are having it. Take a poll.

  4. #4
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,510

    Default

    Yes not many people have HD tv's because untill now there was no need for it because no HD transmission was available for any channels and we in India have a liking to go to the cinema halls to watch movies instead of renting or buying DVD's.

    I have seen a few of my friends buy LCD tvs recently but none of them opted for full HD tvs just because they thought it would take yonks for HD tv to become a reality.

  5. #5
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    I will buy a full HD TV soon - just waiting for no reason.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  6. #6
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    I will buy a full HD TV soon - just waiting for no reason.
    When you do get it, please do tell us about it. You got any more Bluray movies?

  7. #7
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Sure. When I buy the HD-TV (full HD obviously), I will post a review as well.

    And yes. I do have Blu-Ray player and titles as well. Check my signature link.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  8. #8
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    Sure. When I buy the HD-TV (full HD obviously), I will post a review as well.

    And yes. I do have Blu-Ray player and titles as well. Check my signature link.
    omg !! holly cr** ! you got a huge collection !!!! Could i borrow a few Bluray movies when i get a bluray player ?

  9. #9
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan1311 View Post
    omg !! holly cr** ! you got a huge collection !!!! Could i borrow a few Bluray movies when i get a bluray player ?
    All painfully and labouriously collected over the last 10+ years.

    Go ahead and buy a blu-ray player. I committed myself as soon as the format war ended.

    I have currently three issues with my HT:

    - I do not have a capable full HD output system such as a 1080p LCD TV or projector
    - My Onkyo receiver is fairly old and does not decode DTS. This is a problem with blu-ray discs as HD sound is mostly encoded in DTS tracks and not Dolby Digital.
    - My HR is a 5.1 system

    I need to correct all of the above soon.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    My STB is capable of HD viewing as it has component video o/p and optical digital audio o/p for 5.1 sorround sound. But dont know whether they allow to watch HD channels using my SD service STB.

    And I see lot of new channels, names only, are being added for testing HD service.

    Due to this move I see good video quality in Sun TV channel and better audio quality (stereo to 5.1 by home theater) in Sun Music.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    If you have a digital reciever for sound, (like yamaha home theatre) or your home theatre systems have optical IN, you can use STB for 5.1. just connect to STB out -> Home theatre IN.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by techuser007 View Post
    If you have a digital reciever for sound, (like yamaha home theatre) or your home theatre systems have optical IN, you can use STB for 5.1. just connect to STB out -> Home theatre IN.
    but i think he is talking only about sound. You CANNOT watch HD services unless and until the STB is an HD video compatible STB, which you normally would need to buy. As of now only SUN HD is selling it. Tata Sky has indicated that they will be selling new HD stbs within a few months as they plan to launch the HD services soon, most likely before airtel and dish tv. We should expect at least 10 channels to start with on Tata Sky HD services.

  13. #13
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jatin2009 View Post
    but i think he is talking only about sound. You CANNOT watch HD services unless and until the STB is an HD video compatible STB, which you normally would need to buy. As of now only SUN HD is selling it. Tata Sky has indicated that they will be selling new HD stbs within a few months as they plan to launch the HD services soon, most likely before airtel and dish tv. We should expect at least 10 channels to start with on Tata Sky HD services.
    The STB for HD services is different - of course it has to be HD compliant.

    To enjoy the full extent of HD service, what one needs is an HD-Ready or Full HD TV and a 5.1 Home theatre.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Upcoming more competition for SUN DTH as other DTH are on the outset of launching HDTV and it will also loose its monopolistic standing which will force it to reduce its price.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I have installed sun direct hd but I am unable to get sound from optical out.It is fine through HDMI if I connect directly to receiver but I don't like the idea of turning the receiver on just to watch regular programming.Has anyone experienced the same problem?

  16. #16
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rrunner View Post
    I have installed sun direct hd but I am unable to get sound from optical out.It is fine through HDMI if I connect directly to receiver but I don't like the idea of turning the receiver on just to watch regular programming.Has anyone experienced the same problem?
    BTW, for optical out connection also, you will need to use the receiver.

    I feel that there may be some issue with the receiver setting. You may have enabled the setting "Use HDMI over Coaxial/Optical". In this case, the receiver will ignore the optical connection.

    Which is your receiver?

    -----

    If you wish to use direct audio from STB (without receiver), do one of the following:

    a) For best results use HDMI - connect the HDMI cable directly to the LCD.
    b) Connect Component Video + the Composite Audio to LCD. Component cable carries video only. So you will need analog audio along with it.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by alokmis View Post
    Upcoming more competition for SUN DTH as other DTH are on the outset of launching HDTV and it will also loose its monopolistic standing which will force it to reduce its price.
    I think the more the competition the more the customers will get the benifits...

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by karthick View Post
    I think the more the competition the more the customers will get the benifits...
    Sun direct HD might want to reconsider its price or no one would prefer going for the most expensive HD.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    now they will charge more for HD

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I have 32 inches TV, is HD quality is suitable for my TV without any set top box ?

  21. #21
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chinavasion66 View Post
    I have 32 inches TV, is HD quality is suitable for my TV without any set top box ?
    You will not get hd without stb, as far as I know.

    Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default HD Channels on Sun Direct DTH

    hooo is it so ! thank you

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    which is the best brand for set of box ?

  24. #24
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chinavasion66 View Post
    which is the best brand for set of box ?
    Are you using cable or DTH? If cable, then contact the cable operator. He will switch you to digital cable with STB and then you will get crystal clear channels.
    chinavasion66 and Admin like this.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Thank you , i have boutht new STB in my home

  26. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Without a set top box no HD channel can be watched.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th December 2011, 10:47 AM
  2. DD Direct Plus UNLOCKING for FTA Channels
    By hot_guy in forum Direct plus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th April 2010, 02:05 PM
  3. DD Direct Plus hot for private channels
    By bcdxer in forum Direct plus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30th December 2008, 09:19 PM
  4. New Channels Available In Sun Direct
    By The One in forum Sun DTH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th December 2008, 06:33 PM
  5. When we'll see interactive channels in Sun Direct?
    By sooryamaniraj in forum Sun DTH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th October 2008, 08:24 PM