Results 1 to 25 of 25

Bad News: Price hike (Add-ons), Channels removed

  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default Bad News: Price hike (Add-ons), Channels removed

    Bad move by Sun Direct DTH, as they have removed all the Fox Channels from their base pack and put them in add-0n packs, and due to which the price of their add-on pack increases.

    now all Sun Direct viewers will miss Fox Channels or else they have to go for costly add-on packs.

    Very bad move by Sun Direct. Even they have removed Sakshi TV as well from their platform.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Ways Co. resort to procure money from helpless customers

  3. #3
    Sanjeev_man
    Guest

    Angry

    @Thread starter
    Thanks for the info but this is very bad move by the company
    If this continues so,they are going to loose their customers very rapidly!
    If this is how they think their company will gain profit then let me rectify that these are going to be unusual and uncertain profits!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member srijith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Its asusual for the companies to cheat their customers........
    1/2 months after taking their connection they mention them as introductory offers and start removing 1 by 1 channel...and make them as paid channels.......
    they simply cheat us.....but i dont know whether they are going to sustain or not..?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srijith View Post
    Its asusual for the companies to cheat their customers........
    1/2 months after taking their connection they mention them as introductory offers and start removing 1 by 1 channel...and make them as paid channels.......
    they simply cheat us.....but i dont know whether they are going to sustain or not..?
    True there is rarely a case where add-ons are included in base packs.

  6. #6
    Platinum Member talktoanil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neo001 View Post
    Bad move by Sun Direct DTH, as they have removed all the Fox Channels from their base pack and put them in add-0n packs, and due to which the price of their add-on pack increases.

    now all Sun Direct viewers will miss Fox Channels or else they have to go for costly add-on packs.

    Very bad move by Sun Direct. Even they have removed Sakshi TV as well from their platform.
    thats why my cable TV wala rocks... 240 rs per month and ALL channels and gud clarity too..n hence i dropped the idea of getting DTH

  7. #7
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,015

    Default

    yeh I suppose thats a good thing about having cable!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Dth is overtaking cable and with facilities like value added service, latest movies, recording and HD it does offer many advantage over cable.

  9. #9
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alokmis View Post
    Dth is overtaking cable and with facilities like value added service, latest movies, recording and HD it does offer many advantage over cable.
    Umm. Not exactly.

    1. Value added services: agreed that DTH provides many services but how many are actually useful? How many use them at least 30 mins per day?

    2. Latest movies: Cable also shows latest movies - sometimes pirated. Once again, how many people order movie on demand? I would speculate it to less than 5%.

    3. HD: HD will come to cable as well. Maybe a little later but it will. Once again, is there really a market for high priced HD?
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  10. #10
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,015

    Default

    One thing I recently realized about DTH movie no demand is that, they are showcasing movies which are being shown on television, so who would purchase those movies for a cost of Rs75/Rs50?

    This was seen on Tata Sky, I am unaware of what other DTH providers are showing on their movie showcase!

  11. #11
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,634

    Default

    That is the case with every DTH. They are showing movies that are available on standard channels. Maybe movie will be released on MOD, one or two weeks earlier; but if one waits the movie will be available for free.

    I have so far (3 years with DTH), ordered movie once only.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    Umm. Not exactly.

    1. Value added services: agreed that DTH provides many services but how many are actually useful? How many use them at least 30 mins per day?

    2. Latest movies: Cable also shows latest movies - sometimes pirated. Once again, how many people order movie on demand? I would speculate it to less than 5%.

    3. HD: HD will come to cable as well. Maybe a little later but it will. Once again, is there really a market for high priced HD?
    Some of the findings of expected growth: DTH subscribers touted at 40 mn by 2012

  13. #13
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alokmis View Post
    Dth is overtaking cable and with facilities like value added service, latest movies, recording and HD it does offer many advantage over cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    Umm. Not exactly.

    1. Value added services: agreed that DTH provides many services but how many are actually useful? How many use them at least 30 mins per day?

    2. Latest movies: Cable also shows latest movies - sometimes pirated. Once again, how many people order movie on demand? I would speculate it to less than 5%.

    3. HD: HD will come to cable as well. Maybe a little later but it will. Once again, is there really a market for high priced HD?
    Quote Originally Posted by alokmis View Post
    Some of the findings of expected growth: DTH subscribers touted at 40 mn by 2012
    Read that article. OK. This is the job of an analyst. Analysts also predicted (in Dec, 2007) that Sensex will soon touch 30,000. These things do not mean anything.

    But that is completely besides the point.

    I was replying to your observation that DTH will grow because of value added services, latest movies, etc. This is not true.

    DTH will grow more than cable definitely. But not because of the reasons you mentioned. Cable will lag behind because cable TV wallas have no transparency of operations. DTH gives control into the hands of the subscriber (at least some).
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Good point transparency of operations builds confidence in customers.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default Bad News: Price hike (Add-ons), Channels removed

    I would want the DTH players to make all the channels available individually, so that I can select what I want, obiviously with all the free channels.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by karthick View Post
    I would want the DTH players to make all the channels available individually, so that I can select what I want, obiviously with all the free channels.
    This would eliminate competition and no efforts would have been made by DTH in promoting its brand package & pricing are the basis on which brands compete. The idea of choosing channels individually is exactly favorable from customers point of view but the industry pays a huge amount for all the channels it acquires and if a customer only chooses one or two channel it will not be beneficial to the Co. for bringing in average revenue per user.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alokmis View Post
    This would eliminate competition and no efforts would have been made by DTH in promoting its brand package & pricing are the basis on which brands compete. The idea of choosing channels individually is exactly favorable from customers point of view but the industry pays a huge amount for all the channels it acquires and if a customer only chooses one or two channel it will not be beneficial to the Co. for bringing in average revenue per user.
    I agree....

    Then they can keep some unique channels like VH1 to alacarte, as this channle is only available in Jumbo pack which is Rs. 300...

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    In Tata Sky VH1 is under South Saver Pack which comes for Rs. 260/- monthly in Dish TV it comes under Platinum pack which comes for Rs. Rs.325/- per month.

  19. #19
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by karthick View Post
    I agree....

    Then they can keep some unique channels like VH1 to alacarte, as this channle is only available in Jumbo pack which is Rs. 300...
    Well Just for your info Jumbo pack in Sun direct is also an add-on pack only and before subscribing to this pack you must to take a Base pack. Jumbo pack is not their base pack. So Rs.300 for add-on pack

  20. #20
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172

    Default

    The only problem with Sun direct is they are forcing ppl to spend money and money on packages for example they have splitted the channels into many many addons so first i have to pay for a useless base package then i see that my fav channels are present in different add ons. So one fav channel is in a addon package and another is on another so i have to buy both addons which actually costs me much.

  21. #21
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagan2 View Post
    The only problem with Sun direct is they are forcing ppl to spend money and money on packages for example they have splitted the channels into many many addons so first i have to pay for a useless base package then i see that my fav channels are present in different add ons. So one fav channel is in a addon package and another is on another so i have to buy both addons which actually costs me much.
    Absolutely, As almost all the important channels are available in ala-carte and add-on packs and even those ala-carte will cost very high.

    Like They have one add-on Pack called Jumbo pack which cost Rs.300 and still missing few important channels like sports, and if you see in most other DTH you will get Highest pack with all channels in the same amount.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Agreed !! I have been using Sun Direct DTH from past 8 Months... The Add On Packages which they have really suck... I have been cheated in my addon package balance too... They say i have Rs.110 Validity in my account... the next time when i call customer care to activate channel like Star Sports or ESPN they say u dont have any Balance..!! Devastating isnt it ?? !! Im now planning to shift to Tata Sky + or Reliance Big TV

  23. #23
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    172

    Default

    And one more thing, i don't know if its applicable on other dth providers also but in Tatasky when you get a best offered package be sure stick with it that is once you have subscribed to a package of channel then those channel will be available to you forever no matter they change their package or move channel to other package. But if you change your package just once then you will have channels as per the package.

    Like iam subscribed to a package from starting it had 2 channels extra but now its shifted to another package but iam still receiveing that channel.

    Also i did a mistake earlier tensports was just for rs 15 and if i had continued to that then i would have been able to enjoy it for 15rs forever but unscribed once and now its 20

  24. #24
    Platinum Member talktoanil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    cable TV wala rocks..all channels @ 240 Rs + crystal clear clarity.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Well Sun removing Fox channels and introducing new channels is not mentioned in your post . AS far as i understand the sun group definately shows channels wit good TRP rating in thier basic platform rest go into the Add ons . FOX was running for one whole year and i didnt even view one program or movie in it so whats the fuss of it getting removed . In case fox had some good content and the TRP would have been good then definately no DTH operator would remove it from thier platform . Well Fox is now available in airtel and Dish that doesnt mean we will switch to buying them . rather spend a little extra and watch it in Sun itself if the content of these channels improove .

    //Moderator note:
    Welcome to India Broadband Forum.

    You have not activated your account and hence your posts are going into moderation queue. Please click on the link in the mail you received from the forum admin in your mailbox. Failure to do so will cause all your posts go into moderation.
    - just4kix

Similar Threads

  1. removed telugu channels
    By hemasundarreddy2002 in forum Dish tv
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th August 2010, 03:27 PM
  2. Hyundai announces price hike up to 3%
    By cool_techie_tvm in forum Hyundai cars
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th December 2009, 03:49 PM
  3. Tata Sky: Price Hike Again
    By yoursraman in forum Tata sky
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd June 2009, 12:47 PM
  4. Channels Removed
    By Bijoy150 in forum Sun DTH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th March 2009, 07:15 AM
  5. What do you think about the recent fuel price hike?
    By xwhyz in forum General offtopic discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13th June 2008, 12:08 PM