Results 1 to 25 of 25

Need feedback on Static IP

  1. #1
    Junior Member tusharch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    54

    Question Need feedback on Static IP

    Dear members,

    I currently have a prepaid LAN based (metro E) type connection and web based login. (no adsl modem, only lan wire) Blocked ports have created a havoc for me, I cannot even connect my yahoo webcam now and talking to TATAs about port forwarding is like greek and latin for them.

    If nothing works out, then i m planning to take paid static IP

    Request feedback from all users of this forum for the following :

    1) Does static ip mean that all ports are by default open ?
    Will prepaid / postpaid make any technical difference ?

    Is there any user with static ip , but still with blocked ports ?

    In short, postpaid = free static ip + open ports
    prepaid + paid static IP = open ports ????? --->>> yr comments
    Last edited by tusharch; 18th June 2009 at 07:43 AM.

  2. #2
    meetdilip
    Guest

    Default

    I think configuring in Bridge mode will open all ports.

  3. #3
    Junior Member tusharch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meetdilip View Post
    I think configuring in Bridge mode will open all ports.
    but i have a lan based connection i.e. no adsl modem, only a lan cable coming to my house

    all members ... await yr feedback.....
    Last edited by tusharch; 18th June 2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default

    hello
    i also stay in thane n i m also facing same prob even after having static ip so please
    dont go for static ip as the block port wont change

  5. #5
    Junior Member tusharch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninad_laud View Post
    hello
    i also stay in thane n i m also facing same prob even after having static ip so please
    dont go for static ip as the block port wont change
    dear ninad, thanks very much for the valuable feedback.
    now em really thinking of dumping TATA. if you have tried any other thing for open ports, pls do share

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    tushar, previously v were able to dload from public and pvt torrents thru static ip but dey blocked the peer to peer dload protocol on monday and now all torrent sites r dead...but d ports r still unblocked

  7. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    I suggest you to pick postpaid connection and i am really not very sure about any prepaid plan.

    you should not face any such problem in postpaid connection with static ip, still if you want to go for portforwarding then get one router for yourself and config it according to your needs.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothvibes View Post
    I suggest you to pick postpaid connection and i am really not very sure about any prepaid plan.

    you should not face any such problem in postpaid connection with static ip, still if you want to go for portforwarding then get one router for yourself and config it according to your needs.
    but the pblm in our city is dat dey have blocked the peer to peer dload protocol and not the ports...the ports r unblocked coz v get tracker status OK but cant connt any peers...i spoke to tata engg today and he said they r not going to unblock it no matter wat...same goes for postpaid conn....and v cant connt a router anyways

  9. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beckam View Post
    but the pblm in our city is dat dey have blocked the peer to peer dload protocol and not the ports...the ports r unblocked coz v get tracker status OK but cant connt any peers...i spoke to tata engg today and he said they r not going to unblock it no matter wat...same goes for postpaid conn....and v cant connt a router anyways
    mate let me request you not to use sms language on tech boards.

    I am not sure if Tata is doing that and just for testing why don't you get an router to check if portforwarding is helpful or not.
    If Tata is blocking P2P traffic then also they can not block it on 24*7 basis, it should be applicable for peak hours only.

    Please check and update.

  10. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beckam View Post
    but the pblm in our city is dat dey have blocked the peer to peer dload protocol and not the ports...the ports r unblocked coz v get tracker status OK but cant connt any peers...i spoke to tata engg today and he said they r not going to unblock it no matter wat...same goes for postpaid conn....and v cant connt a router anyways
    I agree with smoothie that I found this extremely hard to comprehend.
    So as a service to all I am translating this to English.

    -F


    "But the problem in our city is that they have blocked the peer to peer download protocol and not the ports. The ports are unblocked because we get tracker status OK but can't connect to any peers. I spoke to a Tata engineer today and he said they are not going to unblock it no matter what. The same goes for postpaid connections, and we can't connect a router anyways."

    See how much better this is.

  11. #11
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farce View Post
    I agree with smoothie that I found this extremely hard to comprehend.
    So as a service to all I am translating this to English.

    -F


    "But the problem in our city is that they have blocked the peer to peer download protocol and not the ports. The ports are unblocked because we get tracker status OK but can't connect to any peers. I spoke to a Tata engineer today and he said they are not going to unblock it no matter what. The same goes for postpaid connections, and we can't connect a router anyways."

    See how much better this is.
    10/10 for you face and here comes some repo for you

  12. #12
    newprouser
    Guest

    Default

    Looks like sweety has finally got a competitor.... more wtev, what the fishes to follow i guess :lol: :lol:

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothvibes View Post
    10/10 for you face and here comes some repo for you
    Dude vibes , the above has been admitted by tata engg..... he said they blocked that protocol and they are not going to unblock it ever....not just me but there are around 25 of my friends and we all are gonna storm into tata head office on friday to get this issue resolved because they have no right to block the protocol

  14. #14
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    Mate please check out again
    I asked you Not to use sms language on tech boards

    Farce i need your help again, please translate it back in sms language

    -A

  15. #15
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,144

    Default

    Sure Smoothie

    Quote Originally Posted by beckam View Post
    Dude vibes , the above has been admitted by tata engg..... he said they blocked that protocol and they are not going to unblock it ever....not just me but there are around 25 of my friends and we all are gonna storm into tata head office on friday to get this issue resolved because they have no right to block the protocol
    Here it is.

    -F

    Dear Smoothvibes , the above has been admitted by the Tata engineer. He said they blocked that protocol and they are not going to unblock it ever. It is not just me but there are around 25 of my friends and we all are going to storm into the Tata head office on Friday to get this issue resolved because they have no right to block the protocol. They might call security and arrest all of us and beat the hell out of us in the lockup, but we don't care, we need to download stuff illegally and Tata has no right to prevent it.


    (added the last line myself ;-))

    Quote Originally Posted by beckam View Post
    because they have no right to block the protocol
    Why do you say that? Is it somewhere in your contract where they
    specifically mention that they won't block it? Otherwise they
    can do whatever they want.

    -F
    Last edited by Punch Farce; 25th June 2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. #16
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    Thanks again Farce

  17. #17
    Gold Member skap's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    530

    Default

    @tusharch

    If the service provider blocked torrents in protocol level and applied to everyone or set of users, then Static IP or Dynamic IP doesn't matter. It will be blocked for both of them. So do not go for Static IP before getting confirmation from ISP.

    Also buying router will not solve this problem as ISP blocked the protocol. So the only way is to question them.

    But if ISP says and shows you some legal and compliance issues then we can not question them much.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Illegal @farce ? i can give you 13 legal torrent sites wherein you can download free legal torrents...and yeah...i gave the list to the mumbai nodal officer she admitted that i am right but they had no other option because p2p consumes alot of bandwidth....an yeah its written in my contract that they cant block p2p(torrents)...when i got it installed i specifically asked the tata engg whether i can download torrents or not...he said definitely yes if not claim your money back...and now dont be so stupid to ask me to claim my money....because ther is no other isp in my city providing 4mbps night unlimited internet....

  19. #19
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beckam View Post
    an yeah its written in my contract that they cant block p2p(torrents)...
    Then take them to court for breach of contract.

    -F

  20. #20
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beckam View Post
    Illegal @farce ? i can give you 13 legal torrent sites wherein you can download free legal torrents...and yeah...i gave the list to the mumbai nodal officer she admitted that i am right but they had no other option because p2p consumes alot of bandwidth....an yeah its written in my contract that they cant block p2p(torrents)...when i got it installed i specifically asked the tata engg whether i can download torrents or not...he said definitely yes if not claim your money back...and now dont be so stupid to ask me to claim my money....because ther is no other isp in my city providing 4mbps night unlimited internet....
    I am really poor guy who forgot to customise the contract
    There is nothing like that written in my contract and i really don't think they will consider verbal contract or agreement.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farce View Post
    Then take them to court for breach of contract.

    -F
    we all are deciding to do that...we are not going to play hockey over there.... and anyways i have not taken 4mbps internet to surf the net...we need p2p and i download ubuntu updates from p2p which is legal(this is what i am gonna tell them)
    Last edited by beckam; 25th June 2009 at 01:45 PM.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10

    Default re to ur querry

    Hi tusharch,
    1st thing, Do u have the port no's which r blocked.if yes call up 18002097070 and directly raise a complaint and provide them with the port no's to the execuutive.
    2nd thing-as u said u have a Metro-E conn when u call a call centre ask them for a category of ur conn(i.e CAT A or CAT B )if its CAT A then u cant get a static ip because it is thru a cable operator if its CAT B then u can get it.but as per me no ports are blocked by VSNL......plz replz.

  23. #23
    Junior Member tusharch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    54

    Smile Ports / protocols unblocked by TATA

    Quote Originally Posted by albino_dlima View Post
    1st thing, Do u have the port no's which r blocked.if yes call up 18002097070 and directly raise a complaint and provide them with the port no's to the execuutive.
    2nd thing-as u said u have a Metro-E conn when u call a call centre ask them for a category of ur conn(i.e CAT A or CAT B )if its CAT A then u cant get a static ip because it is thru a cable operator if its CAT B then u can get it.but as per me no ports are blocked by VSNL......plz replz.
    @ albino
    thanx a 10^6 for your feedback. it was quite informative as i didn't know about CAT A / B connection. will check with tata n revert.

    Till date, I have placed at least 10-12 complaints with TATA regarding blocked ports via call centre and email, clearly mentioning the port numbers to be unblocked (60000 - 60010). The first 4-5 complaints were closed by them automatically wihout any feedback. Finally i wrote to the nodal officer & warned them to not to close complaints without customer feedback. Also told them that i will complain to TRAI. Nodal officer confirmed that they have unblocked port nos i had requested. But port checker tool from portfoward site reported that ports were still blocked.

    While arguing for unblocking of ports, I told them that i want free ports for online trading software, corporate VPN & business related software which cannot function without open ports.

    -------------------------

    Latest update is that all ports are unblocked now, and i am getting full throttle of around 490+ kbytes/s. How did this happen ?

    Credit for this goes to a team of 10 users including beckam ( i don't know if others are also on this forum) who took the TATA's to task few days back. They made a surprise visit to the nodal officer to complain about blocked ports. Since it was a team of ten people, it made quite a huge impact & result was almost instantaneous -all ports & protocols were unblocked within a week !!! I would like to thank all the members of the team for their initiative !

  24. #24
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    hmmmm.....
    seems like its muscle power that still gets the deal.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10

    Default hi again

    Hi again tusharch,
    if ur issue is not addressed by nodal officer u can put forward the details to the Appellate Authority.
    Details are:-go to CONTACT US page of VSNL....u'll get the details for the Appellate Authority. This will surely help you.
    regards,
    Albino Dlima

Similar Threads

  1. Need Feedback About Photon Plus
    By golda_jr in forum Tata Indicom broadband
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 7th December 2012, 10:45 PM
  2. Airtel Feedback
    By hellion13 in forum Airtel Broadband
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th November 2010, 04:05 PM
  3. Feedback for d2h
    By rjdthegreat in forum Videocon DTH
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20th October 2010, 02:54 AM
  4. The new Wagon-R - need feedback
    By just4kix in forum Maruti suzuki
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30th April 2010, 05:13 PM
  5. FeedBack For Preeti
    By ShAdOwCoN in forum General offtopic discussions
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 24th November 2008, 04:09 PM