Results 1 to 12 of 12

Recording from Tata Sky

  1. #1
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default Recording from Tata Sky

    I dont whether it is possible from other DTH providers but is it possible to record programmes from a Tata Sky STB?

    Or is this something which is possible with Tata Sky+ only???

  2. #2
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Well recording is only possible with Tata Sky +, You can not record any program with your normal Tata Sky box, as it was just normal STB and don't have any recording functionality

  3. #3
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    You can record using a HDD recorder purchased independently. Connect Composite out of STB to HDD recorder composite in and HDD recorder composite out to TV composite in. But you can only record the program that you are watching.

    The TS+ STB combines the STB + HDD recorder. But there is an added advantage that you can record any other channel while watching something else. Also you can schedule automatic recordings.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  4. #4
    Just a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    up to what resolution can you record on tata sky + ?? They charge a bomb for it (Rs8000 during an offer ? )

  5. #5
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    The resoultion is VGA (640x480).
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  6. #6
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    571

    Default

    I don't think VGA resolution is what people expect when they pay rs.10000 (just inquired yesterday...!!) for the STB......

    A better alternative is to use the STB from wired connection and connect it to computer using a tuner card...... You can get a good tuner card for less than rs.3000....... and a STB costs around rs.3000-4000 as well...... A better deal in any case......

    I'm not sure of what resolution the STB supports, but atleast 640x480............

  7. #7
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    There are only 3 resolutions used in TV transmission:

    Standard Definition: 640 x 480 in 4:3 format or 640 x 360 in 16:9 format
    High Definition: 1280 x 720 in 16:9 format
    True or Full High Definition: 1920 x 1080 in 16:9 format

    So no matter whether you use TS+ or TV tuner card to record or what not, the above is what you will get. The only DTH provider broadcasting in HD is Sun DTH (no idea whether 720i or 1080i). So when it comes to all other DTH and cable, you will get SD quality only.

    I hope this settles the issue.

    As regards to why TS+ is 5K more than a tuner card, please don't be naive. Be realistic in comparison. You are comparing apples to oranges here.

    The TataSky + STB comes with all the following:

    a) A HDD than can record up to 90 hours. The cost of the HDD needs to be factored.
    b) Built in codecs and software to record.
    c) Record any channel while watching any other channel
    d) Automatic scheduling of recordings. The STB need not be in ON position. It can be on STAND BY (but not switched off) and it will switch on at the desired time record the program and go back to STAND BY when recording is over. The cost of the software and codec needs to be considered.
    e) The TS+ can be used by any layman and will not require a computer geek.

    Can the TV tuner card beat all of the above?

    The TS+ is not just device that is able to record - it is an STB + recorder.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  8. #8
    Junior Member pradeepivon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5

    Angry Tatasky Plus-major catch!

    Quote Originally Posted by neo001 View Post
    Well recording is only possible with Tata Sky +, You can not record any program with your normal Tata Sky box, as it was just normal STB and don't have any recording functionality
    But dear friends, do you know you cannot view your recordings when your service is deactivated i.e when you do not recharge. this is a big catch and a trap for the paying viewer who somehow cannot recharge his account but wants to view only what he has recorded. But no tatasky does not allow you to watch even that.
    then what is the use? if you have to continue to feed the always open greedty mouth of this service provider!
    i have purchased already last year so i have no choice but to continue to recharge always even though i would like to watch only my recordings!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pradeepivon View Post
    But dear friends, do you know you cannot view your recordings when your service is deactivated i.e when you do not recharge. this is a big catch and a trap for the paying viewer who somehow cannot recharge his account but wants to view only what he has recorded. But no tatasky does not allow you to watch even that.
    then what is the use? if you have to continue to feed the always open greedty mouth of this service provider!
    i have purchased already last year so i have no choice but to continue to recharge always even though i would like to watch only my recordings!
    But why do you want to keep your account deactivated?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    30

    Default

    if we record some documentary in Hindi on discovery then watch in playback then also we can change the language that means the recording on discovery and national geography and others channels is recorded with both English and Hindi language . is it true or not

  11. #11
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Recording+playback will be in one audio language only.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  12. #12
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rahul121 View Post
    if we record some documentary in Hindi on discovery then watch in playback then also we can change the language that means the recording on discovery and national geography and others channels is recorded with both English and Hindi language . is it true or not
    I think its not possible, you can record and play only in one language , its a drawback in DVR.

Similar Threads

  1. Recording Tata Sky Programs
    By smhasn in forum Tata sky
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 3rd December 2014, 12:49 PM
  2. Movie recording
    By BhaskarJosh in forum Big TV
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th August 2011, 12:23 AM
  3. Tata Sky HD+ recording & tvod query...
    By thedemon99 in forum Tata sky
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th April 2011, 08:18 PM
  4. Tata Sky Plus now with 90 Hrs of Recording
    By Vasundra in forum Tata sky
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th December 2009, 11:55 AM
  5. Tata Sky+ Recording
    By Preeti_20 in forum Tata sky
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th September 2009, 02:40 PM