After 2 years with Tatasky, I finally decided to change to an alternate player Big TV.
Tata Sky Background:-
1. Wanted to upgrade to Tatasky+ with HD but no ETA available with customer care.
2. Wiring from terrace to home was damaged and signal had become erratic and the entire wiring thus needed replacement.
3. Tatasky gave an estimate of around Rs.700 + [including technician visit charge and 45mtr cable (12mtr free)].
4. Recent update on Tatasky added an ad box below the regular info menu, and recently started noticing occassional pixellation occuring randomly on channels, an irritant.
Didnt want to get stuck with a bad situation with a new service provider so decided to try with cheap entry level STB packages before I decide on expensive HD/DVR box later, after research found that best picture quality is of BigTV for large LCD (I have 40" Sony LCD).
Currently BigTV offers 25% discount on one of their packages for HDFC credit card holders (check card offers at hdfcbank website) if bought online. It made good sense since for Rs.1340 (including approx 900 worth 4 mth package). I was charged additional Rs. 288 (for 42mtr used -18mtr free), this extra charge was not intimated to me when bought online or when installation guy's called me.
Big TV experience:-
1. With about Rs.300 paid extra it was'nt a great deal but for new STB under warranty and new Dish probably worth it. Net extra cost 1340+300-900(4 mth package free)= Rs.740.
2. Superior picture on LCD with component cable (bought seperately), I was wondering if it's worth any more to go for HD box immediately, may be once the prices drop with DVR.
3. UGLY LOGO is too bright and mostly opaque, but thankfully is at different positions depending on viewing channel inorder to be less disruptive.
4. Big TV STB 3 was a recent model and I did not find any lag in browsing, best I liked the numerous favourite channel sorting I can do in Big TV.
5. Menu interface is not very user friendly and Tata Sky interface is much superior.
6. Myservices portal registration online via bigtv website, details on website pdf docs nd good phone IVR sytem helped do most things without speaking to customer care. But once spoken to them the customer care was helpful but I felt that tata sky reps were little better in their conversation.
7. Lastly the packs are much cheaper with numerous base packs and addon pack options, I save about Rs.50 every month on the same channels watched on tatasky. (I do not have to subscribe to monthly addon pack for colors and NDTV imagine in BigTV). Also I can now purchase recharge card from neighbourhood 'Reliance World'.
1. They deligently called up after I asked for disconnection and stopped recharging.
2. They offered free reinstallation visit + free transfer of ownership + 12mtr free cable + 1 mth subscription discount with conditions.
3. The hardware with dish shall remain in my possession till I transfer or ask for reinstallation. I liked the gesture, I may gift it or sell it eventually.