I am looking for a DTH service and so far have chosen TATA SKY. I would like to know from the Existing TATA SKY customers and knowledgeable individuals as how would you express your experiences & knowledge about TATA SKY in terms of Quality and Reliability(more of how much do they cheat)? I have been a 'Cable Mafia' victim till now and chose TATA sky for the fact that I watch Hollywood flicks a lot and most of the English channels. Tata seems to be having a nice package lined up for my needs but reading so many pumping and throbbing complains and hate messages, I must admit, I'm a bit vary before stepping up!
Excerpts from their package data that has my intrest-
tatasky > channel packages
Cosmo Pack ( 9 channels ) Subscription price- 450-Annually & 45 monthly
WB, MGM, TCM, Lumičre Movies, FX, FOX Crime, Discovery Science, Discovery Turbo, ET Now.
Lifestyle Gold Pack ( 15 channels ) Subscription price same as Cosmo Pack
NDTV Good Times, UTV World Movies, BBC Entertainment, UTV Bindass, 9X, Zoom, Imagine TV, UTV Movies, NewsX, Bloomberg UTV, Colors, Sri Venkateswara Bhakti Channel, E24, Actve Cooking, Actve Darshan.
Now, TATA sky has this as a part of their 'terms of service' & it's worrying me-
tatasky > channel packages
"Tata Sky Ltd. reserves the right to add or drop a channel/ package/ service from any package and/or change the package rates."
A complaint from sometime in 2008 posted on a similar forum stated that TATA removed Zee channels from one of the Popular Packages(Main and compulsory) and bundled them with an OPTIONAL PACKAGE without decreasing the price of the Popular Package. I shall be opting for a one time Annual Subscription for the SUPER SAVER PACK+COSMO PACK+LIFESTYLE GOLD PACK and a Digicom box that costs 999/-.
My questions are-
1) Whether TATA is pretty frequent in moving channels from one package to another or to a newly created package.
2) What are the chances that most of my English Lifestyle and Movie channels could be shifted by TATA(as part of their 'money making' strategy) and I'll be missing them from my Annual Subscription(and may need to subscribe to another package to gain them back).
3) Any Suggestions regarding hidden costs, nasty surprises or things I should be careful about?
4) TATA SKY says that the free installation that they provide would include a '12 meters cable' as part of their 'standard installation'. Any more cable required in the installation would make the installation a 'Non-standard/Premium installation' and would cost extra!
tatasky > cost > offer-installation-free (Rs 1,000 Waived Off Installation Free Offer, click here)
"Standard Installation includes wiring of upto 12 mtrs cable, installation warranty and activation charges. There shall be no waiver on the charges for the Non-Standard and Premium Installation charges which shall continue to be charged extra, as applicable."
Have you got any ideas of what sort of a 'cost' TATA could be talking about? Lets say for another 12 meters of cable required? The Customer Service guy took a long break in answering this question & I had to hang up the phone(Its an Ignorant service!)! lol...
5) I am living in a single floor house in Hyderabad city and there is a 2 storey building towering the western side my house leaving no view of the west. Due to rampant thefts reported of just about anything in my area, I'd like to have the TATA SKY Dish Antenna installed in a secure spot on the western wall of my house and it has the afore mentioned 2 storey building(neigbour) adjoining it. I am ignorant of the technical aspects and would like to know whether an elevation of 3 meters from the ground be good enough and a closed western side(other sides wide open) would cause any hindrances in the polarity/installation?
6) Do they serve the states of Jammu & Kashmir(Domel, Udhampur) and higher Himachal Mountain regions?
I thank you all for your time, valuable help and suggestions. Apolagies for such a long and grinding questionare!