Results 1 to 25 of 25

Rains

  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    105

    Default Rains

    I am currently moving to Chennai where there are heavy rains and so I want to ask that Tata sky will work fine there or not because i have heard that there are signal problems during rains.

  2. #2
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Rain or no rain.. if your dish is secured properly and doesn't move with winds your signal is going to be constant and rains don't make any difference at all.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Yes correct but I am in Panipat at my uncle's place and I saw a new problem here that there are monkeys on the roof and they dance on that disk and will make it move. Now he has ordered a cage for the dish.

  4. #4
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    If you put a metal cage on the dish it will interfere with the signal..

  5. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agent View Post
    I am currently moving to Chennai where there are heavy rains and so I want to ask that Tata sky will work fine there or not because i have heard that there are signal problems during rains.
    Rains will always destruct signal coming from satellite to dish and due to this in rainy season or on bad whether you will face this problem. and you cannot protect it, its always their.

  6. #6
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    I have lived in UK for so many years and I have sky tv over there with the same kind of dish attached to a wall and for those who dont know it rains almost every other day and some times rains for days together which goes on throughout the year and I have never experienced any trouble with the signal.. May be it might be a bit different here in India so can some other members confirm if this is the case?

  7. #7
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I have lived in UK for so many years and I have sky tv over there with the same kind of dish attached to a wall and for those who dont know it rains almost every other day and some times rains for days together which goes on throughout the year and I have never experienced any trouble with the signal.. May be it might be a bit different here in India so can some other members confirm if this is the case?
    Can you confirm its drizzling or it just a heavy rainfall with windy whether, if its light drizzle then signal won't be affected but in second case disruption is surely their.

  8. #8
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    I have seen some very rough weather as well without any trouble with sky signal in UK but yes I do agree that rains are not as much as we get in India in monsoon season.

  9. #9
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Yes correct but I am in Panipat at my uncle's place and I saw a new problem here that there are monkeys on the roof and they dance on that disk and will make it move
    lolz......thats funny...ya the best solution for that is to put a mesh aur barbed wire around it....monkeys dont like hurting themselves :P

    rains dont affect the signal of tata sky..in my hostel near shimla it rains and also snows a lot...however i have tata sky there and signal remains perfect....

  10. #10
    IBF
    IBF is offline
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Well if there are heavy rains then there are chances that there can be some signal problems. Like this is my experience.

  11. #11
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Heavy rainfall with thunderclaps interfere the DTH signals - and this is true in India - both for DishTV and TataSky. This has everything to do with the transponder signal strength. DTH is still new in India and till we get the really powerful transponders this problem will remain. I have lived in UK and in UK there is never a problem.

    j4x
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  12. #12
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Yes, it is true that during very heavy rains and thunderstorms, the picture quality dips drastically with tata sky, which i have been using for the past 6 months after getting fed up with dish tv. When inquired about the disturbance with tata sky customer service, they said the same thing that transponder issue, which you have discussed. I hope they improve it soon.

  13. #13
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
    Heavy rainfall with thunderclaps interfere the DTH signals - and this is true in India - both for DishTV and TataSky. This has everything to do with the transponder signal strength. DTH is still new in India and till we get the really powerful transponders this problem will remain. I have lived in UK and in UK there is never a problem.

    j4x
    Might be in UK you won't be able to face this problem, but in india heavy rains and thundor storm will effect signal very much , i have both dishtv and tata sky connections and face problem with both its different that its more in one and less in other. but its their.

  14. #14
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neo001 View Post
    Might be in UK you won't be able to face this problem, but in india heavy rains and thundor storm will effect signal very much , i have both dishtv and tata sky connections and face problem with both its different that its more in one and less in other. but its their.
    Exactly what I said.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    55

    Default

    It depends on what kind of rainfall it is. If it is heavy then it would surely interfear with your signal and if it is not then it would not have any effect on your signal..

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Rains do have a effect on your Signal. Like i had experienced this thing maybe it is not that much but still it does have effect.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    54

    Default

    I have never ever seen any much effect of rain on my signal but yes when there are heavy rains then there is some disturbance on the signal.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Normal rains are not that much of a big problem anywhere. In my area i have rain falls and i have not seen that much of a disturbance in my TV connection.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I dont know about TATA Sky but i had been using Dish TV and in normal rains i had never faced any big prolems.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Heavy rainfall would be the only reason in which you would not have good signal otherwise in normal rain you would not face any kind of problem...

  21. #21
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    With previous from viewing Tata Sky while it has rained heavily, i have found no problems at all, and the same applies to when there is strong wind. You may see a few faded lines slightly on the screen, but no such thing a heavy disturbance.

  22. #22
    Gold Member gardencityboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    518

    Default

    I have not seen any issues during rain
    I have used it even when there is lightning and thunder with rain
    no issues seen

  23. #23
    sujithsukrutham
    Guest

    Default

    Rain will affect all Ku Band transmission. But the rate is proportional to many factors like Antenna look angle, quality of antenna, variation of signal strength over the satellite footprint etc. Moreover this interruption will also vary with time.

  24. #24
    Platinum Member Preeti_20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    I take my words back that i said about no disruption on the service from Tata sky when it rains. Its been three times now when there has been no signal at all during the rain................and yes it is very annoying, especially when you are watching something good!

  25. #25
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preeti_20 View Post
    I take my words back that i said about no disruption on the service from Tata sky when it rains. Its been three times now when there has been no signal at all during the rain................and yes it is very annoying, especially when you are watching something good!
    Situation in Maharashtra is very bad - I would rather have the rains than DTH!!
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similar Threads

  1. Is BIG TV having problems during rains ?
    By SledgeHammer in forum Big TV
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 17th August 2009, 08:35 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 24th November 2008, 05:52 PM
  3. Poor SNR due to monsoon rains
    By sujithsukrutham in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th July 2008, 03:54 PM
  4. Tatasky Signal gets disrupted during the rains...
    By silverado in forum Tata sky
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23rd June 2008, 10:56 AM