Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ojas
  • 1 Post By nevinjohn

Tata Sky+ HD box not working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    23

    Default Tata Sky+ HD box not working

    This morning when I turned on my Tata Sky HD box it was not working, the normal message was coming up as initializing start up but after that nothing was happening. I have checked all the wiring and everything is in its right place. What can be the issue?
    I don't want to call Tata Sky customer service yet as they will charge for a visit, I was thinking that maybe the problem can be solved without the visit, else that would be the last option.

  2. #2
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    143

    Default

    You should first call up Tata Sky and they would firs assist you over the phone by guiding to sort out the issue by giving instructions, then if that does not help then they would need to send out an engineer.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    67

    Default

    If you want you can also trying a local technician in your area if you do not wish to shed out money for the call out, although I dont think it costs that much.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    52

    Default

    I think call charges are around Rs250, and it is best if you make the call to customer service, as at least your box would be fixed, if you take it to some other place instead of showing it to a Tata Sky engineer then there may be more problems.
    nevinjohn likes this.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Dont even think about taking the box to a go shop, it was a mistake my brother made and the box was totally ruined. It is worth spending the call out money and getting the box fixed by Tata Sky staff.

  6. #6
    Gold Member nevinjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    643

    Default

    These boxes are tamper proof, to prevent from piracy and hence opening the box would make it useless, unless you take it to the auhorized service centre. These boxes contains ICs encrypted by Conax or similar companies.
    Admin likes this.

  7. #7
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Tata sky would either repair it or replace it without any extra charge. I was charged Rs350 when my HD recording box went bad and it was replaced the next day. I did loose all the recordings as it was a new box. Getting your tata sky box repaired from a third party does not make much sense to me.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I actually thought that such things would not actually need replacing or repairing, as you pay so much for these boxes and expect them to last for at least 8 years without any issues.

  9. #9
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    102

    Default

    electronics are (perhaps deliberately made) finicky these days. expensive TVs barely outlive their warranty-periods, what to write about these boxes!

    i too have a TS+ HD box, replaced once. may be the OP has got the issue resolved, but just wanted to write that the replaced box is provided with a 6-month warranty. that period on mine got elapsed long back, and am seeing signs of the box dying up on me now anytime.

  10. #10
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    114

    Default

    True that warrenty period for products is totally rubbish, I mean they say 6 months but it is 000.1% chance that a new product will fail within just 6 months of purchase.

  11. #11
    Gold Member nevinjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMaverick View Post
    electronics are (perhaps deliberately made) finicky these days. expensive TVs barely outlive their warranty-periods, what to write about these boxes!

    i too have a TS+ HD box, replaced once. may be the OP has got the issue resolved, but just wanted to write that the replaced box is provided with a 6-month warranty. that period on mine got elapsed long back, and am seeing signs of the box dying up on me now anytime.
    Electronic equipment lasts longer than its mechanical couterpart. One the reasons of failure of these devices is due to the humid weather and dust that our country has. With more humidity (especially if these devices are kept where an air cooler is used) it is bound to fail as tiny water droplets accumulating in the circuit board would eventually short it! Remeber when computers were introduced it required air conditioned rooms. Now however the PCBs and circuits are more rigid. . .

  12. #12
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nevinjohn View Post
    Electronic equipment lasts longer than its mechanical couterpart. One the reasons of failure of these devices is due to the humid weather and dust that our country has. With more humidity (especially if these devices are kept where an air cooler is used) it is bound to fail as tiny water droplets accumulating in the circuit board would eventually short it! Remeber when computers were introduced it required air conditioned rooms. Now however the PCBs and circuits are more rigid. . .
    yes, humidity, dust, toxic vapours, etc. do make our home appliances conk off soon (for instance, in areas like Malad at Mumbai and in sections in the Delhi-NCR region), but the electronic-components being used in consumer appliances and AV devices in general, since past some years, are now tellingly being manufactured/assembled/done away with inferior quality components. mechanical components can be dragged on still with regular maintenance (though not talking about compact devices), but its (in)famous about electronics that once it asks you for repairs and disassembly, then understand that it may be about to give up. and the kind of components being used in appliances being manufactured today, in keeping with the fast-changing market and the apparent need for 'quickly-roll-out-or-quickly-die-out', it may be understandable why the manufacturers have had to resort to such steps. the goods today are just not the same and as durable as the ones till even a decade back; just a cursory glance at consumer complaints and tech-forums would be enough to tell that. atleast some manufacturers of HiFi devices, that still produce quality equipment and set-ups, are quite vocal about the changed/changing dynamics and lament this fact, not to forget the damningly dejected end-consumers.

    though computer components, yes, still stand their ground, and am happy about that! perhaps the market for them is not that cut-throat and ruthless, as for other gadgets and devices.

  13. #13
    Sal
    Sal is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    75

    Default

    We don't use our DVD player much but is put on display in the TV unit, when I opened it last week it was practically full of dust, and this all goes inside the system eventually ruining it as it can not be cleaning from inside either.
    To be honest this Tata Sky box incident is very rare and unfortunately it happened, never heard any STB getting a problem. On the plus side you got a new box....

  14. #14
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    We don't use our DVD player much but is put on display in the TV unit, when I opened it last week it was practically full of dust, and this all goes inside the system eventually ruining it as it can not be cleaning from inside either.
    To be honest this Tata Sky box incident is very rare and unfortunately it happened, never heard any STB getting a problem. On the plus side you got a new box....
    similar is the case with my stereo amplifier. its not used much, but i do blow off the dust from it at times. your post reminded me that i haven't done that with it, nor with other devices like media player and STB, in the past some time. thanks for the indirect reminder!

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    61

    Default

    It is not just with the HD+ boxes which this problem was with. This problem recently was with every user and it was due to some satellite direction change.

  16. #16
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by karthikK View Post
    It is not just with the HD+ boxes which this problem was with. This problem recently was with every user and it was due to some satellite direction change.
    although the OP's query was oerhaps regarding something else (box gone faulty, as it occurred in January, while the TS upgradation/maintenance thing is from the last month i think), but surprisingly, i did not face the outage-issue at my place with which TS is still coping up at many other places.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I am very suprised that Tata Sky did not actually inform the users of this problem, instead users had to make a call to customer service to find out about the problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th December 2012, 09:23 AM
  2. bsnl modem is working alright but no internet connection not working
    By Shrinaath Paravasthu in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd February 2012, 07:16 PM
  3. Torrents not working with TATA WI MAX
    By Kevinvj in forum Tata wimax
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24th November 2009, 11:01 AM
  4. Is Tata's Website still working...?
    By kirankumargb in forum Tata Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th May 2009, 05:26 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 15th February 2009, 07:43 PM