Results 1 to 47 of 47

Basesar Ram and Family completed 25 years

  1. #1
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default Basesar Ram and Family completed 25 years

    Remember Basesar Ram and his family?
    Badki, Majhli, Chutki, Nanhe, Dadi, Lallu and all?

    25 years back, on 7th July 1984, Humlog started in Doordarshan, National Network. It was the first daily family soap in this Country.

    Ashok Kumar played the part of the sutradhar, coming after every episode. The title music was scored by the famous musician Anil Biswas.

    There were a total of 156 episodes of 25 minutes (except the last one of 55 minutes) which were broadcast over 17 months. And the whole of India followed the joys and troubles of the family.

    It is said that the serial had an average viewership of over 5 crores in a time when TV was still considered a luxury in this Country. The serial and its characters attained iconic stature and was the first Indian serial to have VHS made of all the episodes on commercial basis.

    25 years on, its time to remember those days.
    Last edited by panchabhut; 12th July 2009 at 08:16 PM.

  2. #2
    Guardian Angel just4kix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    Very few people may have seen Hum Log. Even though the serial had some faults, I found it superb. The faults could be mainly attributed to the low budget of those days - there were no big sponsors at that time.

    What made the story so captivating and serial so endearing is because it related to the middle class completely.
    • The family lived in a typical house found in Chandni Chowk or Karol Bagh.
    • The house was not obscenely rich where the drapery alone costed the annual salary of a typical IT senior professional of 2000's.
    • Women folk were most simply dressed and not carrying excessive jwellery weight
    • Melodrama existed but it was simply put and the problem could have most easily been yours
    • Complete down to earth acting
    • Had everything - comedy, tragedy, bufoonery, drama, anguish, hope, dispair, romance, love, and whatever you could think of but not an overdose any where
    • It had a story. It would be interesting to note that when the filming started, 52 episodes were already written by Manohar Shyam Joshi. The rest of the episodes were written as per the audience taste and wants; which explains why the serial became a little dull in the later phase.
    • And finally and most importantly - no shaking of head three times or the three twang-twang-twang sounds as if the Terminator had returned.
    *** Never argue with an idiot. ***

    All my useful articles and Guides | My DVDs | My Blu-Rays | My Blogs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    I remember the show, I have seen few episodes, but I was too young to understand it properly, but when I read about this I really feel proud that I have experienced this in my life.

    I remember another show, Ye zindagi hai, starring Satish Shah, bedi etc. I liked that too.

  4. #4
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    well anyone born at that era wil definitely remember hum log,chanakya,bharat ek khoj,byomkesh bakshi,chandrakanta (:-P),dekh bhai dekh,circus,flop show,alif laila,Oshin,malgudi days so on and so forth.
    Even watching mahabharata and ramayana had its own fun.

  5. #5
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    well anyone born at that era wil definitely remember hum log,chanakya,bharat ek khoj,byomkesh bakshi,chandrakanta (:-P),dekh bhai dekh,circus,flop show,alif laila,Oshin,malgudi days so on and so forth.
    Even watching mahabharata and ramayana had its own fun.
    Out of these I remember and enjoyed: dekh bhai dekh, flop show, alif laila and malgudi days. I still love that malgudi tune: tana na na na na na naaaaa

  6. #6
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    I loved Oshin used to come at 9.30 pm on wednesday I guess. For past 3 years I am looking for some link where I can watch oshin got one dailymotion subscription with english subtitles but the lady is still on uplaoding mode.

  7. #7
    gothic_coder
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manish View Post
    Out of these I remember and enjoyed: dekh bhai dekh, flop show, alif laila and malgudi days. I still love that malgudi tune: tana na na na na na naaaaa
    Unforgettable ERA, Lovely and watchable serials..And now these days it's "Rakhi Ka swayamwar" kind of Sh*t

    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    I loved Oshin used to come at 9.30 pm on wednesday I guess. For past 3 years I am looking for some link where I can watch oshin got one dailymotion subscription with english subtitles but the lady is still on uplaoding mode.
    Don't remember Oshin, what's that about?
    Last edited by gothic_coder; 14th July 2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #8
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    Oshin is a japanese serial about a girl. A journey of her life from childhood till maidenhoon till she becoems an old fragile lady. The child was a babysitter to support her family and she runs away from home where she suffers more. becomes a hairstylist i tokyo where she meets her husband but their home and business gets destroyed in the earthquakes leading her to live with her in laws while her MIL never supported the marriage. Her whole life was a sad story but somehow it has its own appeal then any K series dramas which dont have a heads or tails. You never know where the story is leading to.

  9. #9
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    Oh yes, now I remember, never liked that show, Kuch samajh nahi aata tha, so much silence in the show, just wooden slidding doors everywhere.

  10. #10
    gothic_coder
    Guest

    Default

    Did Doordarshan telecasted it?

  11. #11
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    yes in early 90s if i am not wrong 1992-93 with the english subtitles.

  12. #12
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manish View Post
    I remember another show, Ye zindagi hai, starring Satish Shah, bedi etc. I liked that too.
    If I'm not wrong it was "yeh jo hai Zindegi".
    The only TV Serial that Kishore Kumar ever sang for (title song)

  13. #13
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panchabhut View Post
    If I'm not wrong it was "yeh jo hai Zindegi".
    The only TV Serial that Kishore Kumar ever sang for (title song)
    Its yehi hai zindagi

  14. #14
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    yes in early 90s if i am not wrong 1992-93 with the english subtitles.
    if your profile reflects your correct age, how did u manage to understand it at that time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    Its yehi hai zindagi
    Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by panchabhut; 15th July 2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #15
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,144

    Default

    not too farfetched Panchabhoot. I used to watch
    Hum Log when I was 9 or 10 I think.

    -F

    p.s you two are probably talking about two different seriels anyway.

    I too remember ye jo hai zindagi

  16. #16
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panchabhut View Post
    if your profile reflects your correct age, how did u manage to understand it at that time?



    Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thats what is known as inborn talent :-). Unlike other kids I wasted more time on music, movies and dance. And of course television.

  17. #17
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farce View Post
    not too farfetched Panchabhoot. I used to watch
    Hum Log when I was 9 or 10 I think.
    I can only say that u need to be genius to understand a Japanese serial on grown up theme with English sub-titles at the age of eight.

  18. #18
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    well it wasn't that tough to understand as i loved it. If you ask me anything from chandrakanta i just remember yakkoo pitashri cos i never liked that serial. i also used to love meri awaaz suno.

  19. #19
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    I must say, at the age of 24 you still remember alot of it. great.

    @5bhoot, yes that's the one, yeh jo zindagi hai. thanks.

  20. #20
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    well ask me anything since i was 3 years old

  21. #21
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    ok, what did you eat on your fouth birthday?

  22. #22
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manish View Post
    ok, what did you eat on your fouth birthday?
    the day started with mamma's spanking as i lost my upper kg maths copy.thats the first thing i had.

  23. #23
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pri_dm View Post
    the day started with mamma's spanking as i lost my upper kg maths copy.thats the first thing i had.
    :52:

    :thumbup:

  24. #24
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nandini View Post
    gvhg
    giving hugs???

  25. #25
    Silver Member nandini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manish View Post
    ok, what did you eat on your fouth birthday?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    the day started with mamma's spanking as i lost my upper kg maths copy.thats the first thing i had.

    No offence Priyanka!!! but what was that urgency of swallowing your maths notebook?
    Did you hate math or you were really hungry?
    Last edited by nandini; 15th July 2009 at 04:12 PM.
    वन्दे मातरम्

  26. #26
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    :lol: trust me I wrote that, but edited

  27. #27
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nandini View Post
    No offence Priyanka!!! but why was that urgency of swallowing your maths notebook?
    Did you hate math or you were really hungry?
    well the first thing that i had was spanking from my mom about the maths book well at that time it was not even worth swallowing i could have done anything to stay away from maths.

  28. #28
    Endless Sky
    Guest

    Default

    In my young age i have spend most of the time(in day) in cricket ground I have seen only few serial Ramayana ,Mahabharat and chitrahar,Bomkesh Bokshi and Potli baba ki,The sword of Tipu Sultan and few more.

  29. #29
    Silver Member nandini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manish View Post
    :lol: trust me I wrote that, but edited
    well i do trust you.
    वन्दे मातरम्

  30. #30
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endless Sky View Post
    In my young age i have spend most of the time(in day) in cricket ground I have seen only few serial Ramayana ,Mahabharat and chitrahar,Bomkesh Bokshi and Potli baba ki,The sword of Tipu Sultan and few more.
    Yeah, Potli baba was great...thanks for adding

    Quote Originally Posted by nandini View Post
    well i do trust you.
    thanks

  31. #31
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    yeh the song was also nice aya aya something something baba

  32. #32
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    what's happening man...girls can you read mind

    I wrote aaya aaya [something] ka baba...

    and felt its not looking good and deleted that.

  33. #33
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    lol

  34. #34
    rupu1983
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manish View Post
    what's happening man...girls can you read mind

    I wrote aaya aaya [something] ka baba...

    and felt its not looking good and deleted that.
    that was classic song of lyrics by Gulzar

  35. #35
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rupu1983 View Post
    that was classic song of lyrics by Gulzar
    i tried googling the song not available anywhere not even in youtube

  36. #36
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rupu1983 View Post
    that was classic song of lyrics by Gulzar
    wow, i didn't know that. thanks rupu.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    i tried googling the song not available anywhere not even in youtube
    Guess what i found:

    Ghunghar wale, chhenu ale, jhunnu ka baba
    Kisso ka, kahaniyo ka, geeto ka chhaba

    Aaya aaya chhenu wale jhunnu ka baba
    Aaya aaya chhenu wale jhunnu ka baba

    Aaya re baba, Aaya

    Potli me hari bhari, pariyo ke par,
    Mandiro ki ghantiya, khalisao ka baag

    Ghunghar wale, chhenu ale, jhunnu ka baba
    Kisso ka, kahaniyo ka, geeto ka chhaba

  37. #37
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manish View Post



    Guess what i found:

    you mean to say the youtube link or mp3?

  38. #38
    Jedi knight Luke Skywalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Well i have never seen it & have read quite about it in Indian newspaper. My favorite were
    That serial on Jungle book called Mughali (don't remember it spelling now)
    Tom & jerry.
    Shriman & Shrimati jee

    Serial which I now regret missing :-

    Startrek -(Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before.Read its novels now).

  39. #39
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker View Post
    Well i have never seen it & have read quite about it in Indian newspaper. My favorite were
    That serial on Jungle book called Mughali (don't remember it spelling now)
    Tom & jerry.
    Shriman & Shrimati jee

    Serial which I now regret missing :-

    Startrek -(Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before.Read its novels now).
    It used to come on sunday at the same time when they used to show alice in wonderland/gopi gayan bagha bayan etc

    jungle book- mowgli

  40. #40
    Endless Sky
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    It used to come on sunday at the same time when they used to show alice in wonderland/gopi gayan bagha bayan etc

    jungle book- mowgli
    Gopi Gayan Bagha Bayan is one of my favorite movie I also like the 2nd & 3rd movie of the Gopi-Bagha series.Actually not only Gopi-Bagha I like most of the movie of Satyajit Ray but specially Feluda(all of them) Gopi Bagha & pather Panshali.

  41. #41
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    when i was a kid on sunday regional movies once it had shown gopi bagha firey elo or something

  42. #42
    Endless Sky
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    when i was a kid on sunday regional movies once it had shown gopi bagha firey elo or something
    Yes 'Gopi Bagha Firey Elo' is the third part of Gopi Bhgha series and that movie was directed by Sandip Ray(son of Satyajit Roy).

  43. #43
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    that was a black and white movie i still remember the song

    it was a scary nasal song

  44. #44
    Platinum Member panchabhut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    that was a black and white movie i still remember the song

    it was a scary nasal song
    thats Gupi Gayen Bagha Bayen
    the first of the series. directed by Satyajit Ray himself.

    watch the ghosts dance here
    YouTube - Gupi Gyne Bagha Byne

  45. #45
    Endless Sky
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panchabhut View Post
    thats Gupi Gayen Bagha Bayen
    the first of the series. directed by Satyajit Ray himself.
    Yes 1st & 2nd Satyajit Ray directed himself. 3rd one his son.

  46. #46
    Dragon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pri_dm View Post
    you mean to say the youtube link or mp3?
    Couldn't search Audio files

    Only lyrics.

  47. #47
    Pri_dm
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manish View Post
    Couldn't search Audio files

    Only lyrics.
    even i have got the lyrics but audio file aint available

Similar Threads

  1. Joint Family Vs. Nucleus Family
    By itsmemad in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 13th July 2010, 06:57 PM
  2. U1350, 15gb of 2mbps got completed!
    By sahils in forum BSNL broadband
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th June 2010, 10:52 AM
  3. Books I have completed reading
    By Luke Skywalker in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28th July 2009, 06:37 PM
  4. Upgrade completed
    By Admin in forum Suggestions and Complaints
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11th July 2008, 01:41 PM
  5. Completed Century - Disconnected Still 100 Days
    By saurabhj in forum Tata Indicom broadband
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th August 2007, 06:02 PM