Has anybody else started getting these messages?
As of yesterday morning my phone started displaying interactive text messages. These are not SMS text messages or cell info. They arrive at less than 5 minute intervals and display for around one minute. Most of them invite user interaction such as answering a quiz or pressing OK for more text.
Here are some that arrived while I was composing this post:
- Do you like or dislike Bollywood stars hosting reality shows?
- Business quiz: a business that sells products in several different markets is said to be?
- Best of 2009 song quiz: Tere ... Has Dye Bas Gye Mere Man n Mein
- Learn a new word every day! Esoteric. Click OK to get meaning.
- Katrina Quiz: which of these actors was not part of the starcast of Race?
- National News: "Aus taking measures to curb attacks'
I showed one to customer services at the Vodafone company shop in Puducherry. He did something on the phone and said it wasn't a service so must be local advertising.
I have a few problems with these messages:
- Invasion of privacy.
- When the phone is in power saving mode (screen off) these messages turn power saving off so reduce battery life.
- They may be malware.
- The phone flashes to get attention (such as missed call or SMS arrived). Seeing the phone light up when one of these messages arrives attracts attention -- a distraction and loss of and quiet enjoyment.
- They make it one click harder to see the clock.
In case it matters, the phone is a nokia 3110c with 7.21 firmware on a prepaid contract with Hutch (now Vodafone), used around Puducherry (Chennai Circle?). DND is configured and no advertising SMS messages are received.